Options

Ukip 'hates modern Britain' and is infected with the 'virus of racism'

deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mail wrote:

Ukip 'hates modern Britain' and is infected with the 'virus of racism', says Labour's Chuka Umunna

*Shadow business secretary said Nigel Farage had 'a problem with race'
*Mr Umunna claimed Mr Farage had failed to tackle the racists in his party
*Intervention comes after Mr Farage was dragged into a fresh race storm
*National Front members campaigned for him in South Thanet constituency

Ukip 'hates modern Britain' and is infected with the 'virus of racism', rising Labour star Chuka Umunna has claimed.

The shadow business secretary said Nigel Farage had 'a problem with race' following his remarks last about 'fully black' and 'half black' Ukip supporters.

Mr Umunna's remarks come after Mr Farage dragged into a fresh racism storm after National Front members turned up to campaign for him in his South Thanet constituency.

Labour's Mr Umunna, whose father was born in Nigeria, accused Ukip of whipping up 'anti-immigration sentiment'.

Mr Umunna said: 'The likes of Ukip don't like what modern Britain is. They claim to love Britain, but they hate modern Britain. If I'm wrong about that why do we see a stream of invective directed at different groups in society from their candidates and their members?

'There is a virus of racism which runs through that party which they've failed to deal with, and I'm not surprised given their leader doesn't see the need for equalities legislation that we have in Britain today and that we're very proud of.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3056237/Ukip-hates-modern-Britain-infected-virus-racism-says-Labour-s-Chuka-Umunna.html#ixzz3YR4QL2vr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It could be argued that Labour hates traditional Britain. Emily Thornberry & Co. don't like white vans and England flags. Labour famously tried to multiculturalise the country by force using mass immigration as a tool. Blair wanted to ditch our traditions and start again.

What we never hear from politicians like Chuka is how multicultural are the country's that provide our migrants and ethnic minorities? What is the percentage of black people in Africa, what about Asian's in the Indian sub continent, or Chinese in China? It's always about England becoming more modern and diverse. London's ethnicity is less than 45% White British. A third of people are foreigners. When will Labour be satisfied?

Why should England become a north European state based solely on values with no historic cultural identity, while the same is not true of other nations? Is it just a container state for for all the cultures of the world on an equal basis with English culture?

If English people are unhappy about this unfairness and lack of global equality, why should they not complain and try and defend their identity?

Comments

• Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    It could be argued that Labour hates traditional Britain. Emily Thornberry & Co. don't like white vans and England flags. Labour famously tried to multiculturalise the country by force using mass immigration as a tool. Blair wanted to ditch our traditions and start again.

What we never hear from politicians like Chuka is how multicultural are the country's that provide our migrants and ethnic minorities? What is the percentage of black people in Africa, what about Asian's in the Indian sub continent, or Chinese in China? It's always about England becoming more modern and diverse. London's ethnicity is less than 45% White British. A third of people are foreigners. When will Labour be satisfied?

Why should England become a north European state based solely on values with no historic cultural identity, while the same is not true of other nations? Is it just a container state for for all the cultures of the world on an equal basis with English culture?

If English people are unhappy about this unfairness and lack of global equality, why should they not complain and try and defend their identity?

White british ? but british is british. I dont see the difference
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    He would say that, wouldn't he.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    The more I hear from Chukka, the more I realise he is an utter irrelevance, just like UKIP are in the grand scheme of things. By suggesting that 4-6 million voters are racist and hate Britain will just galvanise support.

He should stick to what he does best and waffle his way through interviews, or keep his mouth firmly shut.
  • Options
    bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What amazes me is how much time this utterly clueless clown is given by the media.

All he does is play the race card. He's got nothing else about him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    What amazes me is how much time this utterly clueless clown is given by the media.

All he does is play the race card. He's got nothing else about him.

Yeah, but the BBC keeps inviting him onto Question Time. ...oh, you weren't talking about Nigel?
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This would be the same Chukka who complained about the drinking holes he haunted in London being either full of 'trash', or 'C list wannabees', so unless it was foreigners he was talking about (which would make it even more unpalatable) presumably he also hates modern Britain, or perhaps he's now conveniently forgotten that he said that.
  • Options
    gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The signs are clear in my opinion, if Labour get back in they are determined to take us back to the bad old days.

If you question immigration you are an out an out racist.

If you are fearful of Islam you will be having criminal thoughts.

Thanks for making this all clear for us Chukka we know exactly where your loyalties lie.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a disappointment, I saw the thread title and who the OP was and thought he had finally seen the light.:D
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SELF INTERESTS
    as usual
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Abewest wrote: »
    This would be the same Chukka who complained about the drinking holes he haunted in London being either full of 'trash', or 'C list wannabees', so unless it was foreigners he was talking about (which would make it even more unpalatable) presumably he also hates modern Britain, or perhaps he's now conveniently forgotten that he said that.

Yes - like most of the Labour London based elite he seems to despise poor and working class people as they are a bit too downmarket for him to associate with. The above article just looks desperate.

A man who is all spin and no substance - we don't need another Blair or Cameron.

Shame Ed wouldn't rather promote David Lammy who is passionate and does seem to care about the lower orders.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Just shows that many in the Labour party really haven't moved on from when Gordon Brown branded that poor lady a bigot because she questioned Labour's open door policy.
  • Options
    gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were anything to do with UKIP in labours Northern heartlands I would make sure as many people Knew about Chukkas comments as possible.

Does this guy really represent you the working class of the North ?

Really?
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Labour hates England and the English people"

So say the English!

Every last one of them.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mithy73 wrote: »
    Yeah, but the BBC keeps inviting him onto Question Time. ...oh, you weren't talking about Nigel?

Oh, sharp!
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »

You might not think there is any difference, but we are asked to identify ourselves as such (those of us who are 'white British').

Only two days ago I ticked a box (at the dentists), on an NHS form I was obliged to sign, to identify to which ethnic group I belonged.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »

'White British' is just a census classification for an ethnic group. People that are white and English, Scottish, Northern Irish, or Welsh.

They did not provide the percentage of English people, which is why I can't use it, but I would guess that the English probably make up about 40% of the residents in the capital city of their own country. When age is factored in, many will be pensioners, while the high birth rate is amongst immigrant mothers, that percentage is set to drop in the future.

None of this would be an issue if it was happing all over the world, but it's not, it's just here. The English are simply standing up for themselves because politicians like Chuka don't care about them.

If I was an English migrant living in India and I noticed that Africans and Europeans were now the majority and Indians and their culture were now an ethnic minority, then I doubt I would be bothered. That's why I don't subscribe to Yasmin Alibhai-Brown's argument that only white people are bothered about minority status. Of course they are, because it's only happening to them. I would be fascinated to see her reaction if the Indian scenario came true. She would probably be ranting about colonialists again.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like poor old Chuka has been on those funny cigarettes.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    "Labour hates England and the English people"

So say the English!

Every last one of them.

Especially those not from the metropolitian elite, like er working class Brits for example.

Which Labour was set up to defend.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Can't stand the man, full of hot air, he will pop if he ever gets to the top.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By suggesting that 4-6 million voters are racist and hate Britain will just galvanise support.

It's also utterly irrational, which they ought to spot but, apparently, don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, sharp!

I'm here all week :D
  • Options
    tomp94tomp94 Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    All these accusations of racism from the loony left make me even more likely to vote for UKIP.
    And its Labour who've done more than anyone to send this country down the pan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tomp94 wrote: »
    All these accusations of racism from the loony left make me even more likely to vote for UKIP.

This sort of bluster always amuses me - not least because it often comes from people who made up their minds long ago, and nothing their critics could say would change it anyway.

Also, Labour hasn't been 'loony left' for a long, long time - not since the Eighties.
  • Options
    Steve_HolmesSteve_Holmes Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mithy73 wrote: »
    This sort of bluster always amuses me - not least because it often comes from people who made up their minds long ago, and nothing their critics could say would change it anyway.

Also, Labour hasn't been 'loony left' for a long, long time - not since the Eighties.
    Nonsense - the loony Left have not stopped being loony since the 80s - they did move towards the centre with Blair, and the dropping of clause IV, but are now heading more leftwards with the rise of Red Ed..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nonsense - the loony Left have not stopped being loony since the 80s -

I didn't say otherwise. The 'loony left' still exists. However, I contend that its contemporary manifestations are not Labour so much as the likes of TUSC and the Greens. You can disagree if you so choose, Steve, and in all honesty I wouldn't expect you to do anything else; but I'll not be taking any lessons from you on what's "nonsense", and such prefaces to your comments are unhelpful and add nothing to discussion.

Labour, despite some minor shifts away from the right-of-centre Blairite position, remains a comparatively anodyne edifice.