Birthday envelope being tampered with

This morning when my son's birthday cards arrived, one had clearly been tampered with. :mad: There was a very neat corner opened up by about two inches, just enough to see what was inside. Luckily it was a cheque. I've had money go missing before in envelopes and it's always been from his Grandma's card. So she now always sends a cheque. All the others were fine. I had a thought, obviously the brightly coloured envelopes are a give away, but also do you think they target the more old fashioned, squirly handwriting? Their generation's writing is quite distinctive, and there's much more chance of Granny popping some money in the post? It seems possible. :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Almost every day my post arrive looking like it's been half opened, let alone Birthday cards. The other day, a letter from my bank was open completely and I have noticed that our postman is very slap-dash. Infuriating!! :mad:
    I wouldn't put it past them to sneak a peek.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    I think that's very possible, Lindy, sadly.

It's also a criminal offence to tamper with someone elses mail.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any Postman being caught taking money from an envelope from doing their rounds, should be sacked on the spot. I find this action absolutely dispicable, and disgusting as well to be honest with you. They have absolutely no right to be messing around with whatever Is Inside of the envelopes, and If there was something that had been taken, then It should damn well be reported.

I know It's a bit of a risk putting money Into an envelope through the post, but they have taken a solemn vow haven't they?? Does this not mean anything to them, did they just take this vow flippantly I wonder. All this If this Is what the first poster was talking about.
  • sim.michsim.mich Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LindyLupin wrote:
    This morning when my son's birthday cards arrived, one had clearly been tampered with. :mad: There was a very neat corner opened up by about two inches, just enough to see what was inside. Luckily it was a cheque. I've had money go missing before in envelopes and it's always been from his Grandma's card. So she now always sends a cheque. All the others were fine. I had a thought, obviously the brightly coloured envelopes are a give away, but also do you think they target the more old fashioned, squirly handwriting? Their generation's writing is quite distinctive, and there's much more chance of Granny popping some money in the post? It seems possible. :(

I would report this immediately. If they have done it to your mail they'll have done it to other people's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is lucky the cheque wasn't stolen. I've even had book tokens stolen in the past. The answer, I've been told, is to do everything you can to disguise the fact that it's a child's birthday card. Don't use brightly coloured envelopes, don't write "Master" or "Miss", make sure it isn't a large card...

Shame, isn't it?
  • jagger2kjagger2k Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received £1000 thought the post a few months back for an ebay item.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    sim.mich wrote:
    I would report this immediately. If they have done it to your mail they'll have done it to other people's.
    Report it, but don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. Each time I have reported items going missing in the mail the Post Office haven't even bothered to send me an acknowledgement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I brought a DVD from ebay recently, it literally turned up in half an envelope :eek:

Someone obviously opened it hoping to find a certian type of DVD. I went to my local sorting office to show them the item and all they did was give me a bog standard CS telephone number to ring.

I used to have a mate in the post office and at that time he told me just how rife internal postal theft was and it was pretty bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianx wrote:
    Report it, but don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. Each time I have reported items going missing in the mail the Post Office haven't even bothered to send me an acknowledgement.

One address where I lived it happened many times, I complained and recieved 4 first class stamps as "compensation" :rolleyes:
  • Karl MarksKarl Marks Posts: 3,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's happened to me too. I've received a card in a Royal Mail plassy bag, with the letter inside ripped apart. the phony expalnation was that it had become stuck in the sorting machine.

There was a TV docu on the Royal Mail last year about money and items targeted by thieving post workers. It featured an experiment where several letters all comtaining money were sent to different addresses around the country.
  • Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pilthering within the PO is certainly on the increase. Nothing to do with the fact that they fired 40 000 of their experienced staff and replaced them with minimum wage temps, I'm sure. On the plus side, you'll be pleased to know that they now make half a billion pounds a year, which, seeing as they are not a private company, sits in a bank somewhere :rolleyes:
  • Hugo RuneHugo Rune Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In recent years the amount of homosexual people employed by the Post Office has increased, as has (according to Nine Bob Note) pilthering (I assumed he/she meant pilfering). Could there be a connection? I don't know.
  • RuokasiRuokasi Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your sexuality doesn't affect if you are a thief or not.

If you think your postman is stealing from you, get a cheap video camera and record yourself from start to finish posting a letter to yourself with money in. Each time the post arrives, record you going to the door and opening it to see if it's gone. Make sure the envelope stays in view the whole time.

I suppose postmen don't open mail or packages from big companies because i'm sure if Amazon, for example, found out that what they were sending to people were being stolen, Royal Mail would lose a fair bit of trade.

Try confronting your postman, see if that deters him.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hugo Rune wrote:
    In recent years the amount of homosexual people employed by the Post Office has increased, as has (according to Nine Bob Note) pilthering (I assumed he/she meant pilfering). Could there be a connection? I don't know.

Would you like to state clearly why you think there might be a link between people who choose a same sex partner, and people who steal money?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hugo Rune wrote:
    Based on that highly informative premise, the theatrical profession must be one massive gang of thieves. :p:D
  • muguguymanmuguguyman Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugo Rune wrote:

What's to say straight people can't steal? And why do you find it acceptable to say an entire group of people are responsible for a certain type of crime? Are you suggesting the post office should stop employing homosexuals?
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catch a grip, folks - while I am unable to find a definition of the word 'pilthering', I feel that hugo Rune's post was intended as sarcasm or wit. I am sure he is not accusing the gay community of being thieves
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the plus side, you'll be pleased to know that they now make half a billion pounds a year, which, seeing as they are not a private company, sits in a bank somewhere :rolleyes:
    Or more likely goes to the single shareholder of Royal Mail Group plc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    NEVER EVER EVER SEND CASH THROUGH THE POST!!!

Additionally, always selotape the back of the envelope down.. seal it completely for safety. I've done it for years.. my stuff always gets there intact that way. I always tell people to do the same.. if sending stuff to me.

Regards,
  • redarrowredarrow Posts: 945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LindyLupin wrote:

I had this last year i received a letter from the Royal Mail saying post to me and other people had been found open and abandoned and that they would get in touch with me.
    I forgot all about it until a policewoman turned up asking me about a birthday card and asking me if i knew who had sent it and was there any money in it i did and i said there was no money in it as far as i know, she said one of the casual post workers was being investigated, i never got the card back as it was kept as evidence but they sent me a photo copy i had to laugh it was one of those funny birthday cards with a thank you card inside which was also photo copied.
    Our usual postman is pretty good as the day before this all happened i received cards with money in, though i do know it goes on in lots of areas and the post office and police take post tampering seriously.
    They told me mail with something moving inside gets targeted from their experience by the people who do this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    It's unlikely to be your postman doing this, before he gets your bag of mail it's been chucked around a depot and fiddled about with by at least 5 other people, many of whom are temps who are not required to make any sort of vow of honesty (although who clearly would face criminal charges if caught stealing). I've done Post office depot work in the past when I was a student and I saw all sorts going on, I can't imagine there's a great deal that can be done aside from not using standard post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I am sending birthday cards through the post that contain vouchers, money etc then I put the whole contents into a brown envelope and then cellotaped up so nobody suspects a birthday card that could have easy pickings.....