Will ABC1 ever be on for 24 hours ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
Forum Member
does anyone know ?

Comments

• Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I've asked Miranda (works for Disney) and she says that Disney are working on getting a 24hr slot but she has no time scale as yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    even another 6 hours would be good
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say no. Every additional slot that has been created has been snapped up by one of the main 5 broadcasters. Wouldn't put past channel 4 to bid for the next slot as well.

Unless Disney are prepared to pay whatever it takes to get it. Most of the others bailed out when the price went to stupid money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't semm like it on the short-term but in the long-term such as a year or so I predict, they could possibly be able to squeeze extended hours.

The next problem is that it is trasmitted on TCM's down time meaning that TCM and ABC1 share the same channel stream and for them to get a 24 hour slot, they may have to bid for a new slot to put in a slot for extended hours but IMO i think that if they had access to an 18 hour slot then I wouldn't have any problems with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I'm so fed up of adverts for Kevin Hill. Do they summarise the whole series for those things??
  • Options
    [2]Mark[2][2]Mark[2] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    jrcsmith wrote:
    I'm so fed up of adverts for Kevin Hill. Do they summarise the whole series for those things??

yea they are a bit monotonous but i love that song on one that goes: "you dit it, you did it, you made me want you, you made me love you, and i..."

I WANT IT
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah Kevin hill is an OK show.

Why does ABC1 use the American system of placing adverts though?

Its ****ING annoying. Sorry for bad language.

Show starts. 2 Minutes in, there are five minutes of adverts and promo spots for other ABC1 shows.

Show resumes. About ten minutes later the above occurs again. Actually forget what I am watching while the break is occuring.

Show is within 1 minute or so of finishing. 10 minute ad/promo break. Show resumes. End sequence of Kevin Hill comes on.

I just don't get it! Who is 'Miranda' mentioned above and can someone email her and ask her why they use this ad spacing format?

It really puts me off watching!
  • Options
    [2]Mark[2][2]Mark[2] Posts: 264
    Forum Member

Show starts. 2 Minutes in, there are five minutes of adverts and promo spots for other ABC1 shows.

Show resumes. About ten minutes later the above occurs again. Actually forget what I am watching while the break is occuring.

Show is within 1 minute or so of finishing. 10 minute ad/promo break. Show resumes. End sequence of Kevin Hill comes on.

I just don't get it! Who is 'Miranda' mentioned above and can someone email her and ask her why they use this ad spacing format?

OMG, i know exactly what you mean. that drives me MAD!!! thats to get you to watch all the ads you see. you HAVE to see the end of a program and so u have to ENDURE the ads. The system is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member

There's actually only two breaks in an 30 min programme. They do it like that because they are american programmes so they're made to fit that style of ads. I think it's better because you get to see most of the show uninterrupted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Sky One did this in the late 90's I simply used to settle down to watch 5 minutes after the start and switch to something else at the point of ad break 2.

Not what the companies want but then just because it's okay for US audiences doesn't mean it's okay for UK audiences.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All that anyone really knows is here;

http://www.j-one.co.uk/abc1/24hrs.php
  • Options
    jagger2kjagger2k Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WWE raw live on monday nights does the same thing, 2 min in its a break.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's actually only two breaks in an 30 min programme. They do it like that because they are american programmes so they're made to fit that style of ads. I think it's better because you get to see most of the show uninterrupted.

I know its all personal taste, but I dont see how its better at all.

Many times I have watched Kevin Hill and the ads are so long I honestly forget what I am watching and turn over. Also, just because it arrives in the UK with the American spacing, doesnt mean it has to stay! We are a UK audience and not used to it. I find it incredibly frustrating.

I was watching the Tyra Banks show yesterday on living and you can see we're Living have 'cut and pasted' it together to use the traditional British, fairly equal segment times.

To me, this makes much more sense.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    dheejay wrote:
    does anyone know ?

Without a doubt after analogue switchoff. Before then, I don't know.

:)
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jratkinson wrote:
    Without a doubt after analogue switchoff. Before then, I don't know.

Only if they use the space for more tv channels, there is talk of using the space for mobile phone video content, for BBC HDTV streams, etc. They are only starting to decide now.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    centrino04 wrote:
    Only if they use the space for more tv channels, there is talk of using the space for mobile phone video content, for BBC HDTV streams, etc. They are only starting to decide now.

Even if we don't get any more muxes (unlikely) and I think OFCOM are asking for a least one more, it's highly unlikely that compression technology won't allow for ABC1 to go 24/7 by/after analogue switchoff.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    ABC1 is such a rubbish channel it doesn't deserve 24 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jratkinson wrote:
    Even if we don't get any more muxes (unlikely) and I think OFCOM are asking for a least one more, it's highly unlikely that compression technology won't allow for ABC1 to go 24/7 by/after analogue switchoff.

wish i had your confidence!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    Actually the americans get another ad break in the middle as well - but the UK '20minute' rule prevents this being used. It was this rule that caused all the ruckus when ITV showed adverts during the last laps of a GP this year - if they hadn't then they would have been unable to show scheduled adverts later an it would have cost a fortune.

BTW the BBC have said that it is not cast in stone that a switch to 64QAM8K has to wait for switch-over - but I personally cannot see it happening before then.

If 64QAM8K is used to give more channels it will have to be over the whole country - it would be difficult logistically and 'politically' to have more channels on some MUXes in those parts of the country that have switched.
    I fear that they will switch to 64QAM8K at each regional switch-over and give the individual slots greater bandwidth - thus the early switch-over regions will get both better pictures and reception - and the broadcasters can say "look how much better it is after switch-over - stop trying to stop it." - then when it is country-wide - more channels will be introduced - reducing the quality yet again.
    If this does happen then there wll be uproar in London and Meridian and they may be able to push switch-over faster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On switch over NGW will probably introduce more streams (3 each at current PQ? - I think they have reallocated the bandwidth already for the new slot). Disney could well win one of those 6.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    On switch over NGW will probably introduce more streams (3 each at current PQ? - I think they have reallocated the bandwidth already for the new slot). Disney could well win one of those 6.
    16QAM 2K will give 6 channels and other stuff on 18Mbps net bandwidth - when the new one starts on MUX-D.
    The current projected 64QAM8K mode (taking into account Guard Interval and Forward Error Correction ratio) will be 24Mbps - the same as the current 64QAM2K mode on MUXes 2 and A (not a co-incidence IMHO !). With the same average bandwidth per channel we can expect 8 channels. Stat-MUXing may give us another one. Thus in total we should get 8 more channels - 2 each on MUX 1, B, C and D (and another on MUX C soon) - MUXes A and 2 will retain the same bandwidth - and therefore channels - but will be much more robust.

Note: that at switch-over five will have to move onto another MUX - 1, B or possibly (??) 2 - taking one of those new slots - but eventually freeing up one on MUX 1 (NB it will have to stay on MUX-1 too so it can be received in the not yet switched regions - unless the switch to 64QAM8K starts country-wide at the first switch-over date)

NGW may shoehorn even 2 more on MUXes C and D with the higher number of channels being stat-MUXed - but IMHO not.

There is a big meeting in 2006 to sort out frequencies in Europe - apparently we are going for enough bandwidth for 2 more MUXes nationwide (8 in total - based I understand on MFNs - not SFNs) - but if we get them - these will be earmarked for the released channels - if not - then the released channels will be useless to broadcasters and their value will be reduced. I cannot see this bandwidth being used for anything other than experimantal use by say the BBC for HDTV before the big sell-off.

The only other way is for us all to start lobbying against the sell-off and get the released channels used by DTT broadcasters...
    a) for HD testing
    and
    b) for an increased service as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the americans get another ad break in the middle as well - but the UK '20minute' rule prevents this being used. It was this rule that caused all the ruckus when ITV showed adverts during the last laps of a GP this year - if they hadn't then they would have been unable to show scheduled adverts later an it would have cost a fortune.

BTW the BBC have said that it is not cast in stone that a switch to 64QAM8K has to wait for switch-over - but I personally cannot see it happening before then.

If 64QAM8K is used to give more channels it will have to be over the whole country - it would be difficult logistically and 'politically' to have more channels on some MUXes in those parts of the country that have switched.
    I fear that they will switch to 64QAM8K at each regional switch-over and give the individual slots greater bandwidth - thus the early switch-over regions will get both better pictures and reception - and the broadcasters can say "look how much better it is after switch-over - stop trying to stop it." - then when it is country-wide - more channels will be introduced - reducing the quality yet again.
    If this does happen then there wll be uproar in London and Meridian and they may be able to push switch-over faster.
    I dont understand the 20 minute rule, I cant think of one programme that follows it. Aren't the ads usually 10-15 mins into the programme, in fact the first adverts in Im A Celebrity the other night were exactly 6 minutes in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Wow! It's so great having twice as many adverts in each show, compared to the professional channels. I think this is better! P.S. I don't work for Disney, honest."

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    The 20 minute thing??? Channel 4 got a stripping down over them playing the ad's in lost to closley, but abc play ads then end/start of programe then more ad's and there certainly not a 20 min gap there so is it that once a programe starts and has an ad break it then cannot have another untill either the programe ends or 20 mins passes?
    That being the case what about the football they usualy have 2 ad breaks at half time? (15 mins)