Options

Denise Van Outen has a baby girl

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats to them of course, but why is Dean Piper spilling the beans? surely they'd want to do that themselves?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to Denise and Lee. Betsy is such a cute name.

Betsy Mead, I love it! :D
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    Congrats to them of course, but why is Dean Piper spilling the beans? surely they'd want to do that themselves?

Well they're friends, and he presumably asked for her permission.

Apparently Betsy has Denise's eyes and Lee's hair.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mia75 wrote: »
    Well they're friends, and he presumably asked for her permission.

Apparently Betsy has Denise's eyes and Lee's hair.

He's a friend and a celebrity journalist. That's why he broke the news!!!

Brilliant baby though. Born at a socialable hour - in the middle of the day. She gave Lee a week to rehearse for his new show before she was born. She also gave him a week for her to settle in before he starts his new show. Fab timing. What a star!!!
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Betsy is a horrendous name.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Many congratulations to her.

Now maybe the papers will shut the hell up about her pregnancy, for a bloody change. (Although I suppose they'll bang on about the new bairn instead.)
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's a sweet name, and is a refreshing change from the truly bizarre names that a lot of celebs saddle their sprogs with.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would you have preferred Fifi, Princess, Zowie, Chastity, Lark song, Moon Unit, Ocean, Apple, or Peaches (or any other assorted fruits and vegetables)?

"Betsy

The name Betsy is a baby girl name. The name Betsy comes from the Hebrew origin. In Hebrew The meaning of the name Betsy is: Diminutive of Elisabeth or Elizabeth, from Elisheba, meaning either oath of God, or God is satisfaction. Also a diminutive of Bethia (daughter or worshipper of God), and of Bethany, a New Testament village near Jerusalem. "
  • Options
    Arsene wengerArsene wenger Posts: 4,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you have preferred Fifi, Princess, Zowie, Chastity, Lark song, Moon Unit, Ocean, Apple, or Peaches (or any other assorted fruits and vegetables)?

"Betsy

The name Betsy is a baby girl name. The name Betsy comes from the Hebrew origin. In Hebrew The meaning of the name Betsy is: Diminutive of Elisabeth or Elizabeth, from Elisheba, meaning either oath of God, or God is satisfaction. Also a diminutive of Bethia (daughter or worshipper of God), and of Bethany, a New Testament village near Jerusalem. "

Yes. All of those names are better than Betsy.. Betsy is an old woman's name along wth Ethel, Bethel, Gertrude; poppy, petal peggy etc etc Its like calling baby boys old man names like Rupert, rudolph and Winston.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Betsy

Actually, anything is a baby girl name. There are no rules!!!

Although, IMHO Elizabeth would have been better. Then like with many other names, she could choose her own abbreviated/diminutive version. I'm not keen on children being given abbreviated versions of their name. I suppose that's a traditional view. It could be that parents these days don't go with a more traditional so much and that's their prerogative.

But you never know, she might like to be called Bet or Betty in the future!!!!!
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. All of those names are better than Betsy.. Betsy is an old woman's name along wth Ethel, Bethel, Gertrude; poppy, petal peggy etc etc Its like calling baby boys old man names like Rupert, rudolph and Winston.

Bethel?! :eek:

Petal is too cutesy to be true

Billie Piper's son is called Winston :rolleyes: I did always find that a weird one
  • Options
    DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Beautiful.

Betsy is so classy and Denise.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Bethel?! :eek:

Petal is too cutesy to be true

Billie Piper's son is called Winston :rolleyes: I did always find that a weird one

As much as I like Billie, I do think Winston is a terribly old fashioned name, although he has a 'current' middle name in James.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    Not sure about the name, but congrats to them :D They seem like a really lovely couple.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Actually, anything is a baby girl name. There are no rules!!!

Although, IMHO Elizabeth would have been better. Then like with many other names, she could choose her own abbreviated/diminutive version. I'm not keen on children being given abbreviated versions of their name. I suppose that's a traditional view. It could be that parents these days don't go with a more traditional so much and that's their prerogative.

But you never know, she might like to be called Bet or Betty in the future!!!!!

My daughter is named Elizabeth, when she's older she can choose to shorten it but for now she likes Elizabeth. Its a pain now she has to learn to write it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I like Billie, I do think Winston is a terribly old fashioned name, although he has a 'current' middle name in James.

Snap. I don't even know what you could shorten Winston to
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snap. I don't even know what you could shorten Winston to

Win or Winnie would be the obvious ones (with Wino as a more offbeat option:D), but it's not really a name that lends itself to being shortened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Win or Winnie would be the obvious ones (with Wino as a more offbeat option:D), but it's not really a name that lends itself to being shortened.

Winnie's a girl's name. Or a bear's :eek:

Horrific
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Well about time - she seemed to have a 12 month pregnancy!!

Congrats to the new parents. I bet they're both more than relieved that the pregnancy's over too.

It felt to me like she's been pregnant for about 18 months! I think they could've given the child a better name, although it would've been far worse if they'd called her Betty.....IMO.

But whatever, congratulations to the new family.
  • Options
    Arsene wengerArsene wenger Posts: 4,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another name I hate is 'Alfie' isn't that short for 'Alfred' which is yet another OAP name. Betty is the ultimate granny name. I like the name Elizabeth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another name I hate is 'Alfie' isn't that short for 'Alfred' which is yet another OAP name. Betty is the ultimate granny name. I like the name Elizabeth.

They didn't pick an obvious daft name like Apple. However, I think they still chose name to standout as it's not a name you hear much these days. They probably thought they were being smart by calling the child Betsy.

IMHO Betsy sounds like asomeone's granny, a pet name or a name from the past given to the kitchen maid.

'Betsy, hurry up and get that floor scrubbed. There'll be trouble if Mrs Bridges sees it's not done yet'

Yes, an' fank you Mister 'udson,' mumbled Betsy as she gave a slight curtsey as she scurried off to get her scrubbing brush and a pail of hot water......

It's definitely has a below-stairs ring about it. Why not give the girl a real traditional name like Elizabeth?
  • Options
    robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe it was a family name?

congrats to them would love to see the babys hair!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Range of baby clothes, books, parental advice and diet video on the way at Christmas then :eek:

Myleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeene will not be pleased :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once read this historical "romance" whereupon, every time the girl saw the er... size of the blokes manhood she would utter "heavens to betsy!" so whenever I think of that name I automatically associate it with something rather naughty....:D
  • Options
    KarenFHKarenFH Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Why not give the girl a real traditional name like Elizabeth?

Oh I don't know, possibly because they liked Betsy?

Congratulations to Lee and Denise on the new addition to their family.