Pubs with funny names?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are two pubs in Manchester named after characters in the book The Manchester Man by Isabella Banks. They are called the Jabez Clegg and the Joshua Brooks.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a pub in Droitwich, called The Old Cock Inn. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not particularly funny but theres a pub near me called the Frog and Onion??? I think they just drew lots of random words.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I occassionally pass by one called 'The Round of Beef' I always think it is a strange name for a pub but I like it.
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    I always like "The VAT and Fiddle" which is next door to the HMRC building in Nottingham. Obviously deliberate but I still find it funny :)
  • M30M30 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard's Sleeve
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of these silly names are there to attract customers to a pretty lousy pub (or bar).

Mind you, I was in The Load of Hay in Uxbridge on Sunday and that is a great pub.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dog Inn on Revidge Road in Blackburn
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dog Inn on Revidge Road in Blackburn

Sounds like bestiality. :D
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the pour house
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were two pubs within a relatively short distance of each other on the A167 near Durham called the Honest Lawyer and the Cock o' the North. The latter has closed down and been turned into old people's homes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    There's an (awful) pub in Grantham called the "Muddle Go Nowhere"

Who the **** came up with that? LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    ronifto wrote: »
    :eek: Bar or lounge? :D

Bar for me :D

Usually just a wee stop off as its the nearest pub to my house. Then its off to the good old footys :D
  • cazellcazell Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    The Happy Cheese, Ashurst, New Forest
  • georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's one in wareham called the Silent Woman Inn. Scroll down the website to see the pub sign...
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is The Custard House in Small Heath still going?

Answers own question: I see it is.
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a bar in town where I live called The Square Balloon :confused: It's a random name. The decor inside is a huuuuge balloon... which is round?! There's another pub called The Big Cheese, dunno why but I have a giggle everytime I go past it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    In Bournemouth we have a new gay bar opened up , called "Does your mother know?" ha ha I thought it was a brilliant name :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone had to say it:

The Cockwell Inn
    Tillit
    Herts
  • sparkideesparkidee Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Belle End...... has been that name before the word bellend was even thought of :D
  • soransoran Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local attracts it's fair share of tourists, due to its unusual name :D
    http://www.piddleinn.co.uk/index.html
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite S London pub names were The Hairy Lemon and The Frog and Radiator. Crap pubs to drink in though!
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up until recently we had a pub called The Black Pearl, named after the film, and decorated.....like the film.

Nowadays it's went back to it's old name The Old Ship.

Thank flip :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a pub, but there's a restaurant in Edinburgh called Aghtamar Armenian Lake Van Monastery In Exile. Run by a mad Armenian bloke who only opens when he feels like it and only lets you dine there if he likes the look of you. There's loads of hair-raising stories about it on the Internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Best I have seen was the Honest Lawyer in my home town. More Ironic than funny I guess.

In Southampton, with "The Bent Brief" just a bit further along, by any chance?

One of our locals is 'The Cricketer's Arms". I don't think it's an especially unusual pub name, but it strikes me as quite daft nonetheless. :D

I vaguely remember my Dad mentioning a pub with an odd name from his youth, and I've just been to have a look at a list of Norfolk ones to try to work out what it was. Didn't find it, but apparently there's a pub in Norwich called 'Abraham offering up his Son'. :D