Liverpool or Manchester?

Comments

• M30M30 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GMPTE is a toothless tiger. The cartel of First , Stagecoach & Arriva has made Greater Manchesters bus network a shambles.

People moan about Londons transport network but its the work of genius compared to the private profit making cartel that afflicts Manchester. Could you imagine the chaos if they had to endure the full joys of a deregulated bus network , run purley on commercial grounds?

:)

London is the only part of the UK which has regulated public transport - transport isn't going to be re-regulated here, sadly.

Manchester had the choice to get £££ in funding through the TiF yet it voted against it because of the mentality so many people in Manchester have that they feel they have the right to park outside their workplace.

I take Northern Rail trains every day, and they do the job.

My biggest issue is Victoria Station. If this was where people got off the train from London then it would be a different story. There's probably train stations in Mogadishu in better nick. Which is a shame, as it's a beautiful building.

Liverpool though, would probably want to rename Lime Street Station to "Liverpool Michael Shields" if it was allowed to.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Feel free to back this up with an insightful and interesting explanation, maybe others will follow suit.

Well I lived there for 4 years so I am biased :o

ok for starters...

- it's got a great tram system connecting with the conurbation towns
    - better shopping
    - Peak District on doorstep, great to escape to for the weekend
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OT: I was up the Tower with my boy just yesterday.

:eek: so was I!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused::confused:

Have googled it but still no wiser :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool though, would probably want to rename Lime Street Station to "Liverpool Michael Shields" if it was allowed to.

As 50% of Liverpool are Evertonians I doubt that very much. :D
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Liverpool. Manchester I wasn't so keen on but that's probably due to the fact that the weather was dire every time I've visited and it seems a lot grubbier than Liverpool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    M30 wrote: »
    London is the only part of the UK which has regulated public transport - transport isn't going to be re-regulated here, sadly.

Manchester had the choice to get £££ in funding through the TiF yet it voted against it because of the mentality so many people in Manchester have that they feel they have the right to park outside their workplace.

I take Northern Rail trains every day, and they do the job.

My biggest issue is Victoria Station. If this was where people got off the train from London then it would be a different story. There's probably train stations in Mogadishu in better nick. Which is a shame, as it's a beautiful building.

Thats the problem, the last government gave GMPTE the powers to take back what it deemed as a 'failing bus service' In West Yorkshire they have, so why havent they in Greater Manchester? These powers are about to be taken away.

Victoria station is ok, biggest problem was when due to the enforced cost cutting & GMPTE's brain dead policys that Piccadilly could handle all the trains , they made it from a 16 platform station to a six platform one. The issue with the gents bogs hasnt been resolved fully yet as the gays still use it as a pick up joint / voyuerism which is pretty loopy given that Manchester has a thriving gay culture , so why the need to use the seedy delights of the bogs at Victoria is a total mystery.

The TIF was a non starter , the schemes that GMPTE wanted to spend the money on where rubbish. Given the debacle of Shudehill interchange you wouldnt let this lot spend monopoly money. They employ people who have responsibilty for the rail service & these people cant even read their own timetables.

GMPTE is obsessed with metrolink & it totaly clouds their thinking. Hence why the bus network is dire, the rail service woeful & the raods are all clogged up with cars.

• sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: so was I!!!

We were there about 2pm, you weren't the woman with the two comedy Jack Russells who wouldn't go back down the steps from the top were you? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The issue with the gents bogs hasnt been resolved fully yet as the gays still use it as a pick up joint / voyuerism which is pretty loopy given that Manchester has a thriving gay culture , so why the need to use the seedy delights of the bogs at Victoria is a total mystery.

The gents bogs at Victoria is the stuff of legend.

Not everyone is able to go to somewhere as visible as a gay bar, and the toilets at Victoria station have served an admirable purpose for many men who aren't out.

I personally think the crackdown at the gents there is draconian in the extreme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats the problem, the last government gave GMPTE the powers to take back what it deemed as a 'failing bus service' In West Yorkshire they have, so why havent they in Greater Manchester? These powers are about to be taken away.

Victoria station is ok, biggest problem was when due to the enforced cost cutting & GMPTE's brain dead policys that Piccadilly could handle all the trains , they made it from a 16 platform station to a six platform one.

The TIF was a non starter , the schemes that GMPTE wanted to spend the money on where rubbish. Given the debacle of Shudehill interchange you wouldnt let this lot spend monopoly money. They employ people who have responsibilty for the rail service & these people cant even read their own timetables.

GMPTE is obsessed with metrolink & it totaly clouds their thinking. Hence why the bus network is dire, the rail service woeful & the raods are all clogged up with cars.

One word: Stagecoach.

Bus services in South Manchester are excellent.

There are no midweek night buses in North Manchester whatsoever, and the Metrolink as yet doesn't reach many parts of the city.

I'm personally in favour of James Stannage being elected Mayor of Manchester and him giving the GMPTE huge powers and an Oyster card based system.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Livepool is well more dangerous at night!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were there about 2pm, you weren't the woman with the two comedy Jack Russells who wouldn't go back down the steps from the top were you? :D

haha, no, myself and my friend had a very annoying black patterdale terrier with us, and we were both very very hungover!!
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prefer Liverpool - never really felt comfortable in Manchester.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »

I thought that the latest crime stats showed that Manchester was far more dangerous than Liverpool. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »

Do you think so?
    I've always felt safe out in Liverpool and never seen any trouble. I've seen more trouble in Chester tbh. :eek:

I am talking about the city center though, I'm sure it's proberbly different in certain areas of Liverpool.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once we drove to Liverpool for a day out. Left the car parked in a street near the city centre & it was still there when we returned :)
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Once we drove to Liverpool for a day out. Left the car parked in a street near the city centre & it was still there when we returned :)

but it wasn't there the other 27 times you went :)
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Answer to the original question?

No thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    I've seen more trouble in Chester tbh. :eek:.

Because it's full of people from Liverpool :D

They don't talk to the bizzies in Liverpool.
  • wayne71wayne71 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Liverpool

Why would anyone want to talk to the filthy bizzies ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wayne71 wrote: »
    Liverpool

Why would anyone want to talk to the filthy bizzies ?

Exactly - except that there's a huge double standard - there's a culture in Liverpool of non co-operation with the police, yet every time there's a Jon Venables / Michael Shields situation, Liverpool demands an audience with the Home Secretary of the day. It's tribal. And it's what lets an otherwise interesting city down.

Manchester, for its faults is the de facto second city of the UK.
  • ClearviewClearview Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M30 wrote: »
    Exactly - except that there's a huge double standard - there's a culture in Liverpool of non co-operation with the police, yet every time there's a Jon Venables / Michael Shields situation, Liverpool demands an audience with the Home Secretary of the day. It's tribal. And it's what lets an otherwise interesting city down.

Manchester, for its faults is the de facto second city of the UK.

That is what was wrong with Venables' rehab, he stayed in Merseyside... where as Thompson went to Manchester.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44,323
    Forum Member
    Manchester always!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Liverpool so I've got to say Liverpool. I would say it anyway - I agree with the poster who mentioned Alexi Sayle's great programmes he did a year or two ago. Very informative, fair, and quite funny.

I love Liverpool for the scousers, the people, the culture, history as well as it's present.

One great article I read about Liverpool and football had this quote in it; "Liverpool is too expressive, too emotional, too Celtic, to fit the English classic urban mould." Liverpool sees itself as different, because it is different. I don't think that Liverpool is as fantastic as scousers will tell you and it's certainly got a fair few faults. But I feel more at home here than in any other place I've ever lived.

I like Manchester, whenever I go there, I feel like I'm in the London of the North. It's a massive, beautiful thriving city. I also support a Manchester football team so I go over there for the games! I don't know enough about Manchester to comment on its bad bits, but I reckon it's great however the scousers give Liverpool it's winning edge.