Options

TV Snow Insanity - again

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's thawing where we are so I'm expecting Sky News to be putting out flood warnings very shortly and BBC News to be launching the lifeboats:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    As I suspected. I presume when science does prove that global warming is natural and not man made, we will get all our taxes refunded.

Thats my point. When it is a warm winter, the media tells us this is due to MMGW, when its a cold winter, its nowt to do with MMGW.

Have you not seen 'The Day after Tomorrow?' The reason global warming (yes WARMING) will give us colder winters is due to the polar ice caps melting resulting in rising sea levels and no barrier to the chilling siberian and arctic winds we get from the north and east... resulting in colder winters!
  • Options
    dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    beecham wrote: »
    Have you not seen 'The Day after Tomorrow?' The reason global warming (yes WARMING) will give us colder winters is due to the polar ice caps melting resulting in rising sea levels and no barrier to the chilling siberian and arctic winds we get from the north and east... resulting in colder winters!

Sea levels will NOT rise due to melting ice caps. As for the rest ... I'm not too sure.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    dudius wrote: »
    Sea levels will NOT rise due to melting ice caps. As for the rest ... I'm not too sure.

Really? You dont sound like that much of an expert on it?
  • Options
    dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »

I'm not ... but I love Q.I. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    What i would really like to know is what people up north and in Scotland think about the coverage? Sick to death of hearing how people oooop north are knee deep in it...........we all know that, it's not news is it, that's what happens when you live up there in the back of beyond, now when it happens in the heart of the country ie London and the South East then it is "news" so just get over it will ya northerners. If we reported everytime Scotland had 5cm of snow we'd never report anything else.

So sick of hearing the line about only caring when snow down south.

Using rail, there are approximately 2.5 Million workers who commute everyday. More than 1/3 of those people commute to London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    What i would really like to know is what people up north and in Scotland think about the coverage? Sick to death of hearing how people oooop north are knee deep in it...........we all know that, it's not news is it, that's what happens when you live up there in the back of beyond, now when it happens in the heart of the country ie London and the South East then it is "news" so just get over it will ya northerners. If we reported everytime Scotland had 5cm of snow we'd never report anything else.

Yeah and the people who don't live in London are sick of hearing about your tiny bit of snow. Places like Sheffield are badly hit, do you class them as being in the back of beyond? The UK isn't just London you know...
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beecham wrote: »

Is that the same science they used in "2012", where the earths core will bubble up and destroy the crust and China will move east in a few hours?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    England lost world cup bid - not cos of Beckham's shagathons, but cos too much rain, too cold ;)
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London Tonight should be changed to Kent& Surrey Tonight, because of the snow!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are rather a lot of people living around London so it is hardly surprising that it gets a lot of coverage but I agree that a flake of snow in London is a blizzard whilst six foot of snow in Shetland might not get mentioned. But the Scottish media are as bad BBC, STV and most newspapers are very Glasgow or Edinburgh biased so will concentrate on the weather in the Central belt.
  • Options
    NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »

I think until it happens, if it ever does, it is debatable.

One could argue that a warmer planet will make more water evaporate into clouds/rain and the extra water from polar melt once the system has balanced (over hundreds of years) will end up in the sky and not the sea.

The observation that the ice at the poles and in glaciers 'came from somewhere' and has not always been there is kinda hard to ignore too.

Despite being traumatic, the planet, and wildlife, will adapt.

After-all people labour on about the effect on the UK environment being devastating - but it is oftrn ignored that until about 10,000 years ago there were < 40,000 people in the UK, and it was one rather large forest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Please tell me people don't actually believe that the stuff in "The Day After Tomorrow" is real!? The reason we've been having warmer winters up till now was the indutrialisation of the UK. Machines and stations pumping out hot gases and air into the atmosphere meant that the temperature of our micro climate was higher and so we didn't get as much snow.

In recent years plants have been shutting and stopping and so less hot gases and air are escaping into the atmosphere. Hence colder winters.

I do remember in 4th year at schoolmate I wrote a brilliant essay in English about desalinisation in the worlds oceans causing a disaster...I made it all up though. The teacher just didn't notice. :)
  • Options
    BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Well, here in Chesterfield, Derbyshire where we never usually get hit by snow at this time of year I can report I have just shy of 2 foot lying in the back garden at the moment most of which fell in a 24hr period. No buses, trains running but hours late, main roads passable in 4x4s only, even the main dual carriageway link to the motorway was blocked, the only way round town has been by foot or skis (yes people really have been skiing).

I for one have really appreciated the news reports this last couple of days...and BBC News were there at the M1 junction closest to us reporting on the local situation. Well appreciated and thank you BBC. Local newspapers are reporting this is worst snow here in 90 years (I cant prove that obviously)...so also yes this is newsworthy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London Tonight should be changed to Kent& Surrey Tonight, because of the snow!

Itv's Anglia news is just as bad all Norfolk Essex and Surrey, hardly a mention of the west of the area:(:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Please tell me people don't actually believe that the stuff in "The Day After Tomorrow" is real!? The reason we've been having warmer winters up till now was the indutrialisation of the UK. Machines and stations pumping out hot gases and air into the atmosphere meant that the temperature of our micro climate was higher and so we didn't get as much snow.

In recent years plants have been shutting and stopping and so less hot gases and air are escaping into the atmosphere. Hence colder winters.

I do remember in 4th year at schoolmate I wrote a brilliant essay in English about desalinisation in the worlds oceans causing a disaster...I made it all up though. The teacher just didn't notice. :)

Sorry, I think your reasoning is as suspect as the script-writers of The Day After Tomorrow.....

For example coastal area's are generally warmer than inland in winter, and cooler than inland in summer, due to the effects of the sea absorbing and releasing heat, and effects of geography and ocean currents.. Similar effects are demonstrable for inland area's near large lakes.

I think you are over-egging the 'Urban Heat island' effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_heat_island
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    That was my point! Everyone is over egging this entire thing.

As for Southerners being fed up of Northerners... Well sorry but you're just coming across as total snobs. We are supposed to be one bloody country. Not just England and more specifically London. People in Scotland dont really care what the weather is like down with you either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that I have avidly watched the snow reports and sympathised with many people in affected areas.
    In my town, mid Lancs, for some odd reason we haven't had any snow, just hard frosts so far. Touch wood.
    I dread the snow coming because everything grinds to a halt and I admit to having two large bags of rock salt in the garage to be ready.
    It is minor roads, pavements, steps, car parks not being gritted that cause people to panic about getting safely to work, hospital appointments and school.

Personally I am glad for all the TV reports and updates..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    NeilPost wrote: »
    I have people I speak to regularly in Montreal, Canada and they laugh their arses off at us useless Brits all winter. When they get snow they measure it in feet, not inches !

Boy those Canucks sure get the last laugh don't they? What with those Caribbean temperatures they experience the rest of the year.
    Two9A wrote: »
    What people always forget about these comparisons is that Montreal, Detroit, Moscow and such are fully expecting feet of snow every winter, and are geared up for it on a permanent basis.

For the same reason, Scotland is dealing much better with the current bout of weather than England; they're simply expecting it more often.

If your council spent millions on snowploughs and 3 years' worth of grit, for a once-in-20-years event, would the Mail make a big issue out of the waste of money? You bet your life :D

This.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ... and so it ever goes on.....:yawn:

Paging Alex, Lisa, Hugh, Greg, Ray and haul road ace Jack Jesse...

The UK needs you for our Ice Roads !!!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm..

The snow isn't bad for everyone.

These TV reporters can probably claim for a top brand ski jacket in which to be recorded whilst giving their report.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilPost wrote: »
    Just watching the current bont of weather madness - in the summer it's too hot, in the autumn it is flooding loopiness, in the winter ice and snow doo-lalliness.

Watching the BBC News reporter outside St Benedicts RC School in Alcester, Warwickshire showing the school gates.

Oooh, the snow had to be almost 1 mayb even 1 1/2 inches high....:eek:

Usual ranting about useless councils, airports, buses, trains. Lack of snow ploughs, gritting, jobsworth health'n'safety nutters. etc. When I was at school in late 70's/early 80's you had to make do and go to school, unless the heating was completely shot.

I have people I speak to regularly in Montreal, Canada and they laugh their arses off at us useless Brits all winter. When they get snow they measure it in feet, not inches !
    My cousin in Canada thinks we are all useless tossers here.

A bloke I used to work with would pi$$ off home when he saw one flake :D
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    going to be a long winter if all news stations go drama ballistic everytime it snows somewhere in the country.

please make the news overkill go away .....:cry::cry::cry:

weve been knee deep in it for over a month now..its no longer news its very very old.:yawn::yawn:
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah and the people who don't live in London are sick of hearing about your tiny bit of snow. Places like Sheffield are badly hit, do you class them as being in the back of beyond? The UK isn't just London you know...
    I'm in Sheffield today and there isnt any.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was talking about Sheffield two weeks ago check the date :rolleyes: