Your reaction to being told you may be made redundant

2»

Comments

• Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,829
    Forum Member
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    I am getting made redundant in the new year. It will be a sad day for me on that last day.

Sorry to hear that, hope your luck turns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was made redundant in january and sobbed my heart out. Made me sick to the stomach to then find that my hours had been offered to a casual member of staff four weeks later. Wish I would have had my wits about me then and joined a union however I was very naïve. In my second job since graduating now and facing redundancy yet again, lucky me!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been made redundant 3 times.

On the last occasion I just wanted to go ASAP. As soon as they told me I just wanted out - but had to go through all the crap involved.

It's a horrible time - having to work up to the final day, just to receive your money.

What you really want to be doing is out looking for a new job.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I got told I was to be made redundant I think I would panic like crazy.

Have been with the company for nearly 22 years and yes, I would probably get a good a pay out. But I like the stability of a job (to pay my mortgage etc.) and so I'd worry about getting another job.

I could live on my redundancy money I guess, but I wouldnt do that. I'd want a job straight away.
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperFool wrote: »
    Hi,

Yesterday at work we had a meeting whereby our employer informed us that we are to have a further meeting in two months and if there is no improvement with the amount of work we can bring in then there will be redundancies. I am very lucky in the fact that I have a very good relationship with the boss and his number 2 - the woman I sit next to at work, so I have been reassured even before we had this meeting that I wouldn't be affected (I am one of the people to be there the longest) and I do generate a lot of work. He is looking to make two people redundant and I know who those two people are, yet after the meeting they just seem oblivious to the whole thing and they are acting as normal, not realising the fact that there will be job losses in the future.

It got me thinking about how I would react if I did not know that I was going to be OK; anyone on here who has been in the same situation - how have you felt about the news?
    Has it occurred to you that they may have been told the same thing as you and therefore feel as safe as you do?

You might not be doing so intentionally but you have come across as being a bit smug, like somebody else mentioned. Pride comes before a fall you know. Hope for your sake you are justified in feeling safe.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first time I was made redundant I went on to find a more interesting job with more friendly people.
    The second time I tried to find another job but couldn't - so I sold the house and moved to a cheaper area to a slightly smaller house, and paid off the mortgage. That was the best move I ever made.

I just saw it as an opportunity, and a kick up the backside to make constructive changes.
    I hope things work out in your favour, whatever happens.
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite happy - it was the last Friday of my maternity leave and I was due to go back on the Monday. I'd been dreading going back as I knew how much had changed while I'd been off, and I didn't want to leave my son. Add to that a nice five-figure package and you've got a very happy camper!

I'm very lucky - between my payoff and the enormous gamble my husband took with his career earlier this year, we don't need me to work, so I'm making the most of my son's early years. Redundancy really was the best outcome for me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I was offered voluntary redundancy on very generous terms back in 1995. The company I worked for in Edinburgh was taken over by a larger Glasgow rival. At first they said the Edinburgh office would remain open, then they told us it would be open for 2 years, in the end it closed after 12 months although most of us had moved through to the Glasgow office by then. Those of us who agreed to move were told that our redundancy terms would remain open for 12 months and if we did not wish to continue working for the new owners, we could still take the payment. Out of 700 of us that moved close to 600 were gone within a year, all with nice fat cheques. Me personally I ended up with a ten grand pay off and a five grand pay rise at my new job. Result.

Oh and the company ended up going down the pan, and was sold off a few years later.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was made redundant 7 times in 10 years through the 80s-90s, in the end I would just ring my wife and say it's happened again and we would carry on from there. As I had a part time job as a coach driver I was never out of work.
    Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    It has happened to me twice, both times i took on the chin, started looking for a new job and just worked my noticed.

At the same company 6 months later one of the the other lads was made redundant, two days before he stopped working, he went to one of their suppliers and bought a load of electrical tools ( hundreds of £££). The problem was he bought them using the company order forms we carried in the vans at all times. Amazing the company never pressed charges or anything. And by the time the company got the invoice through he had gotten his redundancy pay.