Why wear hoodies if you don't use the hood?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm aware they became trendy or 'cool' a while ago, but why?

I bought a couple some time ago, and I found the hood annoying to place comfortably behind me.

So, why wear hoodies if you don't use the hood?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I want too wear my hood but people tell me too take it off because it looks 'rudeboyylike'...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want too wear my hood but people tell me too take it off because it looks 'rudeboyylike'...
    You wanting to use the hood justifies its existance.
    But what about the hoodie wearers who don't use the hood? What is it about the style or look that they like?
    Presumably they aren't all trying to imply they might be 'gangsters'.
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,121
    Forum Member
    i dont buy tops/jackets without a hood since i like the hoods,i wear the hoods a lot though plus i think they look better with a hood
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glasgow67 wrote: »
    plus i think they look better with a hood
    Do you mean hooded tops look better to you even when the hood is down? If so, why is that? What do you like about the 'hood down' look?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there is no logical answer to my question. Presumably any design can catch on for no specific reason.
    For example, if jackets were made and marketed which always had 1/3 of the left arm in bright pink, presumably that could become fashionable for no discernable reason.
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,121
    Forum Member
    my_login wrote: »
    Do you mean hooded tops look better to you even when the hood is down? If so, why is that? What do you like about the 'hood down' look?

I dont know just like it better, I wear one to the Celtic games with the hood up and a hat on top of the hood :o I dont know why I do that either i just like it.

I would MEVER buy a leather jacket because i dont like them but i do quite like the ones with the hoods, maybe in 10 years time i might get one
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glasgow67 wrote: »
    I dont know just like it better, I wear one to the Celtic games with the hood up and a hat on top of the hood :o I dont know why I do that either i just like it.

I would MEVER buy a leather jacket because i dont like them but i do quite like the ones with the hoods, maybe in 10 years time i might get one

Mever say mever ;)
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hood up = keeps your ears warm.

Hood down = keeps your neck warm without causing you head to feel too hot.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sometimes it's just nice to have it there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's to put your shopping in and to keep the top of your back warm, or the back of your top or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Hood down = keeps your neck warm without causing you head to feel too hot.
    I think a hoodie would only keep your neck warm if you purposely pulled the hood around your neck and held it in place.
    Surely a scarf or high collared coat is much better for such a purpose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    I wear the hood when it's cold. Only downside is it can be annoying when bending over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word hood has been said so many times that its lost meaning
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Hoods are there to keep the wind, rain and snow off your head. If it's the middle of Summer and you have your hood up, you cannot complain when someone thinks you look a bit "shifty" :)
  • SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like wearing hoodies though I rarely use the hood. I think they look better with a hood than they would without! Actually I'm having problems imagining a hoodie without a hood, I've never seen a jumper of hoodie material with the hoodie pocket on the front.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Hood up and empty handed= I am gonna rob the off license
    Hood down with can of beer=I have robbed the off license:D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    camer wrote: »
    Hood up and empty handed= I am gonna rob the off license
    Hood down with can of beer=I have robbed the off license:D

If only there was such a place in my town.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wear hoodies loads, and i put my hood up when im liek, all 'f*ck off' it's like being on invisible mode on msn, lke im here but i aint speaking to you...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why wear trainers if you don't run?
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    For me, the hood is handy for when it is cold/raining, and also I think they look good even with the hood down- a nice way of dressing casually, comfortably and easily when going into Uni, for example, whilst still appearing fairly well-dressed.
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hubby has some really nice expensive hoodies.

I love it when he wears them, he wears suits all week (I don't like him in a suit). So I look forward to the weekend when he has his jeans and hoody on

He looks really sexy :o
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my_login wrote: »
    I'm aware they became trendy or 'cool' a while ago, but why?

I bought a couple some time ago, and I found the hood annoying to place comfortably behind me.

So, why wear hoodies if you don't use the hood?

Because it has negative connotations these days.

My local shopping centre has banned people from wearing hoodies entirely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it isn't cold/raining/snowing at the time that I put it on but I think it might be later on. Or because I like the style of it and it happens to have a hood on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant seem to find any trendy casual tops without hoods. I would prefer them, especially as a couple of my casual winter coats have hoods so having double hoods doesnt work for me or it looks like I have a hunch back when it is under my coat. So you buy what is in the shops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant seem to find any trendy casual tops without hoods. I would prefer them, especially as a couple of my casual winter coats have hoods so having double hoods doesnt work for me or it looks like I have a hunch back when it is under my coat. So you buy what is in the shops.

I can't tolerate something like a hood down under or over a coat. As I said earlier, I have a couple of hooded tops but find them annoying and impractical, so generally avoid wearing them unless I'm at home and want to sit at the pc or TV with the hood up for warmth. I could obviously also wear the hoodie outdoors with the hood up for warmth, but I don't generally feel the need to do so.

It's my assertion throughout this topic that many, if not most hoodie wearers, have no desire to actually use the hood. That drives the further comments below, but am I wrong?

People who have said they like the look of a hooded top with the hood down ... you still haven't really described why.
    How does a lump of material hanging behind a top look better than it not being there?

The 'why wear trainers if you don't run' question posed earlier is not a comparable example. Trainers may be more comfortable than other shoes or you may like the overall colour / design of them.
    Comfort or overall colour / design of a hoodie don't factor into choosing it if you don't use the hood. Whilst hoodies are somewhat prevalent for some reason, you can of course still find un-hooded tops to fulfill your comfort and colour / design preferences.

So, I'm still somewhat mystified about what people like about hoodies if they do not use the hood.

My opinions are :

1)
    You've become conditioned to associate it with being relaxed or 'cool' for no discernable reason.
    or
    2)
    It's showing awareness of the 'sometimes edgy' style of wearing a hood, therefore you consider a hooded top suggests you are 'street cool' even if you don't use the hood.

This subject obviously holds a curiosity for me, but I'm not obsessed with it. Just wanting to understand what drives an apparently keen army of hood down hoodie wearers.