never trust a skinny chef:D
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Te biscuitus disintigralis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ''What isn't worth waiting for isn't worth having''.

I've no idea if it's a famous quote, it was said to me by a drunk stranger in a kebab shop when he over heard my friends telling me I was mad for waiting 12 years for my bf to propose.....It was (partly) thanks to that drunk stranger I waited another 2 years.

Also lots of Ghandi ones are good. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friends brother always says

“You can never be old and wise until you've been young and crazy”

Haha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a teenager, on christmas morning I found a keyring in my stocking with the quote...

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau

I think santa may leave something similar in my eldest boy's stocking this year too.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Yiazmat vanquished" - ffxii
    Going to war, to prevent war, is the most stupid thing I ever heard" - The King Blues
    "I would give you the stars in the sky, but they're too far away" - Steel Panther
    "First of all, Id just like to say a great big F uck Off to the BNP" - Massive Attack
    "It takes the village to raise a child" - dont know
    "Don't let the bastards grind you down" - my old boss
    "I dont really know too much about Tibet.... Except that it needs to be freed" - model off ANTM
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky

"Life is short, the art long" - [Hippocrates]
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Nothing ever lasts forever" - Echo & the Bunnymen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    One day the Rabbit asks the Skin Horse about becoming Real:

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

From the Velveteen Rabbit
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Fearless is having fears" - Taylor Swift.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Family sayings. My great grandad apparently would say:

"A gentleman never works for a living."

And my dad said he learned this one in the Paras:

"Never explain, never complain, never volunteer" - which is surprisingly useful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    They came first for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Martin Niemöller

I've heard the sentiments in this quote ascribed to others but that doesn't matter, I don't think. This is about as essential as it gets, walk away from wrong and you're wrong, IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    [highlight]Deathray Deathray Deathray Deathray Deathray Deathray Deathray Deathray Deathray Deathray Deathray Deathray...[/highlight] :o
  • rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right just this second a mate hit me with a blinder over the phone.

We we're talking about the possibilty of a new job for me that would allow me to move back to Manchester, how to approach my g/f with it and blah blah blah and he said,

'At the end of the day mate, you've gotta get the dominoes in the right order before they'll fall down!'.
  • emjemj Posts: 6,737
    Forum Member
    "The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself." - Rita Mae Brown. Really get this one.

I also like the saying 'Empty vessels make most noise'.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always liked Eleanor Roosevelt's "nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."
  • AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Pop nob in fanny. Not up the arse."

- Keith Chegwin
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    great minds think alike..but idiots seldom differ

only the good die young

he'll never scratch an old head..what my neighbours says about somebody who might live a bad lifestyle
  • frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "You've got shit on your shoes and I'm the shoe-shine boy"
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "...and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make"
    The Beatles
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not held up in traffic, you are traffic.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,639
    Forum Member
    "I know what it's like to want to die, how it hurt to smile, how you try to fit in but can't.... How you hurt yourself on the outside to try and kill the thing on the inside." - Girl Interrupted.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carl Sagan, talking about this.
    From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of particular interest. But for us, it's different. Look again at that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Friends are the family you choose for yourself'

Very fitting for me :)

Also 'A woman is like a Teabag, you never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water!'

I heard this one recently and thought it was quite amusing - 'A friend will ask why you are crying, a good friend will ask 'who did it?', a true friend will go and talk to that person but a best friend will walk in with a shotgun in their hands and say 'the deed is done'! :D

I like the 'Dull Women have immaculate houses' one

and finally 'Alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all lifes problems!' - Homer Simpson
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Living is easy with eyes closed" - John Lennon