Options

How crap does EastEnders have to get before the BBC act do you think?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's ridiculous.
    They're more than entitled to have that opinion.

And I'm entitled to have mine, like you are yours. I never said they couldn't have the opinion I just gave my thought's on it ;)
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born Free wrote: »
    I heard a rumour the BBC were going to renew his position in February if things stay the same, not sure if that's true but seems plausible enough,

Really...I am not a bit surprised. If I was the Beeb I would be looking to resolve it before February.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why Kalfie are to blame for the so called decline- they, to me, provide a much needed humour that has been lacking and if you ask me it's stupid storylines like glenda's affairs with Ian and Phil and stupid characters like Julie that should be rethought not Kat and Alfie

Kirkwood seems obsessed with affairs

Oh it isn't just the Kalfie...to be fair. All the affairs...re-casts and dull new characters are turning me off big time.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    miles19740 wrote: »
    Oh it isn't just the Kalfie...to be fair. All the affairs...re-casts and dull new characters are turning me off big time.

I agree with you- However I enjoyed last thursday and friday's eps immensely perhaps because there were loads of character interactions which had been lacking before that
  • Options
    NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    I don't know why some people think its bad and watch it:confused: I for one love it, so does my 14 year old son whose favourite characters are Shirley, Christian, Phil and Ben! I love all the storylines, the estend accents and bitchings. I watched it since 1985 and only missed it when I was abroad for holidays or really sick but then always caught up with the story, it has been a big part of my entertainment. Thanks BBC1.:cool:
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    To be fair - if the ratings are strong - i really don't think BBC will have a problem - it'll only be when(and if) they drop majorly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    It's awful at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of the reason that the current decline in EE has had no impact on the ratings is because certain storylines are coming to a conclusion and people are already 'invested' in them up to a point. If new storylines begin in the same way that others are concluding I can see people starting to turn off. The forthcoming 'baby death-swap' storyline is at least a bit different from all the affairs on offer, but it does not strike me as something I'd be eager to watch and I can imagine a lot of people feeling the same way about that one.

I didn't go off EE in March or September. I can remember the exact moment I looked at the screen and thought 'I'm bored by all of this now' - the Ryan and Stacey in the cellar scene. The programme is constantly punctuated with scenes of someone shoving their tongue down the throat of someone they shouldn't be, and it's getting dead monotonous now. The writers and producers need an imagination injection - they can't count on the loyalty forever of people so keen to stay in their comfort zone that they'd believe Ian would be blackmailed for two Christmases running over having a bit on the side.

Thats it, yes I am boring with it all now, its always the same. You can leave it for 2 weeks and pick it up where you left it.....I find it just so hard to believe the characters, I mean Janine for goodness sake how evil will they make her...Ben well come on he goes into prison with 2 hearing aids and comes out with non, Kat just seems to be moaning or shouting, oh who are the rest, i forget now........:sleep:
  • Options
    bekzjbekzj Posts: 13,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It baffles me all the threads that pop up saying how sh*t EE is? I don't feel it's in any kind of slump. I'm enjoying the Janine/Ryan stuff. Think the new Ben is very promising. I think the baby death SL is gonna be pretty dramatic and heartbreaking and I'm sure the actors will do it justice. I'm really glad to hear that Jean is coming back next year too. It's had a nice dose of humour lately too and I've found myself laughing out loud at times which is good considering EE is known as the 'depressing soap'.

I only have two characters I'd like to see the back of and that's Glenda (can't abide the icky bed hopping) and the new Lauren but I don't suppose we can like ALL of the characters ALL of the time can we?
  • Options
    LenfaircloughLenfairclough Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Credit where credit is due the Kat/Pat exchange tonight was class!

Other than that the show is getting worse and worse. The writers really loosing the plot it would seem... affair after affair, a painfully clumsy device to write Patsy Palmer out for a while and the destruction of another character as Pat for some reason chooses to support Janine (herself undermined by dreadful scripts). I know people are going to justify Pat's support, but I do not believe for a second Pat would support her after she attempted to kill someone... of course she does seem to have forgotten Roy, Barry and Natalie.

BBC need to act in February when Kirkwoods contract is up and move him out in favour of someone up to the role who can fix this mess.

SOS - Save Our Soap!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Credit where credit is due the Kat/Pat exchange tonight was class!

Other than that the show is getting worse and worse. The writers really loosing the plot it would seem... affair after affair, a painfully clumsy device to write Patsy Palmer out for a while and the destruction of another character as Pat for some reason chooses to support Janine (herself undermined by dreadful scripts). I know people are going to justify Pat's support, but I do not believe for a second Pat would support her after she attempted to kill someone... of course she does seem to have forgotten Roy, Barry and Natalie.

BBC need to act in February when Kirkwoods contract is up and move him out in favour of someone up to the role who can fix this mess.

SOS - Save Our Soap!

I agree...although the 'Mary Whitehouse' brigade will be out in force after the pre-watershed out burst.

I love Bianca as a character...she is very real...but the whole show in general feels like it is a parody of its former...
  • Options
    Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    I agree...although the 'Mary Whitehouse' brigade will be out in force after the pre-watershed out burst.

I love Bianca as a character...she is very real...but the whole show in general feels like it is a parody of its former...

i would say that is the perfect way to describe what it has become.
    i have been watching old clips and its quite shocking how all the characters have taken such a dip in quality, its like they are desperatly playing up to the part. its become all very panto.
    if the quality continues to deteriate then there will be a ratings dip, much like the one a few years ago where it dropped below 5million on several occasions :eek: but i think that will be good for the show, because after that it really improved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »
    i have been watching old clips and its quite shocking how all the characters have taken such a dip in quality, its like they are desperatly playing up to the part. its become all very panto.
    if the quality continues to deteriate then there will be a ratings dip, much like the one a few years ago where it dropped below 5million on several occasions :eek: but i think that will be good for the show, because after that it really improved.

I'm good aren't I? I know where it is at. I should be a writer or a producer on Eastenders. I would sort the show out. I would have a mass cast clear out for a start...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »

I agree. The show needs to be shocked into action. I happen to think that it will happen because Emmerdale will keep up with its hr specials...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I'm good aren't I? I know where it is at. I should be a writer or a producer on Eastenders. I would sort the show out. I would have a mass cast clear out for a start...
    :D

That literally just made me laugh!
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    Kirkwood needs to jog on alright.

It's true the characters are becoming more like charicatures, pantomime-esque. I'm so sick of the dwelling on bed-hopping and inexplicable unconvincing affairs (Glenda being a good example). Hollyoaks has already got it's place in soapland we don't need another version of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I dunno who these "charicatures" are at the moment because I beleive all the characters at the moment are acting in character or not very far from it.