stocksbridge bypass ghosts

Comments

• corleone_capocorleone_capo Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    The video is from the TV series "Strange but True" which was hosted by Michael Aspel,

Very interesting.

yeah its a good vid, shame that most people think ghosts are a load of crap:(
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone from up north heard of these before? i were watching this video about them this morning, only ever heard rumours before, n ive got to say it was creepy as ****! defo wont be driving up there at night any time soon!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuEvJRZ-wgs

An old friend of mine saw it. or rather, them. It was a few years back and as he wasn't a local - he was from the other side of the Pennines - and he'd never heard any of these stories. He saw a monk walking along with a boy, standing by the side of the road. It was in daylight when he saw it and he thought it was a bit odd but they looked solid enough.

He always remembered it, although never for a second thought he'd seen anything supernatural. Til he saw this show (or something similar), and realised he might have seen a ghost because this was the same spot he'd passed.

I'm not sure if other accounts mention two figures but that is what he saw.
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    An old friend of mine saw it. or rather, them. It was a few years back and as he wasn't a local - he was from the other side of the Pennines - and he'd never heard any of these stories. He saw a monk walking along with a boy, standing by the side of the road. It was in daylight when he saw it and he thought it was a bit odd but they looked solid enough.

He always remembered it, although never for a second thought he'd seen anything supernatural. Til he saw this show (or something similar), and realised he might have seen a ghost because this was the same spot he'd passed.

I'm not sure if other accounts mention two figures but that is what he saw.
    thanks,great post
    sounds like your mate really did see a ghost, wish more people were open minded about it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks,great post
    sounds like your mate really did see a ghost, wish more people were open minded about it

He's someone I knew very well and was one of the most intelligent people I have ever known. No-one's fool and also a natural sceptic. At the time he saw it, he just thought it was a bit weird but not beyond the bounds of possibility. (I once went on a retreat to a monastery - and the monks still wore the brown robes and sandals - so they do exist!)

It was a considerable time after that he saw it on telly and when he heard where it was he was certain that was the place.

ETA: Just remembered - I had not seen the TV programme at the time my friend told me this - he had. But I saw it later (presumably repeated), and the minute I saw it I remembered this was the place as the name is similar to somewhere I grew up near.

He definitely saw 2 figures though - one a monk and one a boy. I haven't trawled through all the references, but can;t recall seeing accounts of 2 figures. He was positive it was Stocksbridge though - used to drive a lot for his job.
    Forum Member
    He's someone I knew very well and was one of the most intelligent people I have ever known. No-one's fool and also a natural sceptic. At the time he saw it, he just thought it was a bit weird but not beyond the bounds of possibility. (I once went on a retreat to a monastery - and the monks still wore the brown robes and sandals - so they do exist!)

It was a considerable time after that he saw it on telly and when he heard where it was he was certain that was the place.

He definitely saw 2 figures though - one a monk and one a boy. I haven't trawled through all the references, but can;t recall seeing accounts of 2 figures. He was positive it was Stocksbridge though - used to drive a lot for his job.
    yeah theres defo summat weird goin on up there, ave got a book on sheffield ghosts ill take a look at it tomorrow n see what i can find
    werent your mate scared when he saw them ghosts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah theres defo summat weird goin on up there, ave got a book on sheffield ghosts ill take a look at it tomorrow n see what i can find
    werent your mate scared when he saw them ghosts?

Not one bit. He said they looked absoltuely like real people - solid. He thought it was strange but not scary.
    Forum Member
    Not one bit. He said they looked absoltuely like real people - solid. He thought it was strange but not scary.

****in hell lol sounds like a brave bloke if i seen summat like that i'd be shittin myself lol, 1 day ill get up there tho and see if anything happens
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ****in hell lol sounds like a brave bloke if i seen summat like that i'd be shittin myself lol, 1 day ill get up there tho and see if anything happens

You'd be scared of someone dressed as a monk? :D:D
  • FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think will look at this thread in the day...when im not as tired and pissed and fully of food........ that will probably give me nightmares before hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I'm actually from Stocksbridge (well, Deepcar, it's the other side of Stocksbridge. The better, less inbred, side!:p), and i've been up and down that section of road more times than i can remember and i've never seen anything odd at all. The only really scary thing about that road is some of the idiots that drive down it. Apparently it's one of the most dangerous roads in the UK in terms of the frequency of crashes, so obviously it has to have a few ghost stories to go along with the sheer amount of deaths that there have been.

You want to see the monk? Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FY_6I9tAss

Spooky!

There's also supposed to be a battallion of Roman soldiers marching up and down one of the fields next to the bypass, and just a bit further down the road there's supposed to be some children that dance around one of the electricity pylons. And also, where i work (which is fairly close to the bypass) there's supposedly a ghostly aparition that stalks the corridors, he's been seen and heard (apparently whistling and saying "Hello") during the day and at night. He must have something against me though, because i've worked there three years and never seen a damn thing.

Personally i think it's a load of bullshit, although now i've said that, i'm sure i'll probably see something! lol.
    Forum Member
    bump......
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    bump......

... in the night. :eek: Is it a ghost?
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    ... in the night. :eek: Is it a ghost?

lol, could be;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex is from stocksbridge and told me about the ghosts when I was 18, even though I lived completely the other side of sheffield, ecclesall way, I slept with the light on for about a week because it was too close to home for me! It wasn't so much the monk at pearoyd bridge that got me, it was the kids dancing round the rocks. I've got the shivers now!!
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not from the area, but I am aware of the bypass and the ghost stories surrounding it. It is very spooky.
  • excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone from up north heard of these before? i were watching this video about them this morning, only ever heard rumours before, n ive got to say it was creepy as ****! defo wont be driving up there at night any time soon!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuEvJRZ-wgs

Stocksbridge Bypass is apx 3 miles from me
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even on duty? am no fan of coppers but ive never seen 1 pissed on the job

never heard of one making stuff up either? :)
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know? none of us know for sure

I hate the way people automatically dismiss things such as ghosts, ufos and aliens as nonsense. Just because someone hasn't seen such things doesn't mean they don't exist!

In the case of aliens it is highly arrogant for the human race to assume we are the only living beings in the infinate universe.
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    never heard of one making stuff up either? :)

yeah but wot would they ave to gain from making this up? if anything they would be the laughing stock of the local nick
  • KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soon as i heard "one night" I clicked off. Why are ghosts so shy of daylight? Why dont they appear in back of Sky News broadcasts for millions to see?

Boring..
  • KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    I hate the way people automatically dismiss things such as ghosts, ufos and aliens as nonsense. Just because someone hasn't seen such things doesn't mean they don't exist!
    Er.... generally it does.:o
    In the case of aliens it is highly arrogant for the human race to assume we are the only living beings in the infinate universe.

In the case of aliens ithey have found a spacecraft technology that can travel faster than light(planets/universes being million of miles away)there and back and all they do when they get here is trample some corn. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive read about that case before (in fact, I think I saw that program at some point).
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    You'd be scared of someone dressed as a monk? :D:D

I watched Big Brother this summer. I now have a fear of men dressed as a monk. :o
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »

It's highly arrogant to think that in an infinite universe with other planets that may support life, that intelligent life could arise on one of these planets, develop the technology to travel to other worlds - and choose to head in our direction :D

Just because elephants exist doesn't mean they're going to turn up in your back garden
  • Adam DAdam D Posts: 5,124
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I'm actually from Stocksbridge (well, Deepcar, it's the other side of Stocksbridge. The better, less inbred, side!:p), and i've been up and down that section of road more times than i can remember and i've never seen anything odd at all. The only really scary thing about that road is some of the idiots that drive down it. Apparently it's one of the most dangerous roads in the UK in terms of the frequency of crashes, so obviously it has to have a few ghost stories to go along with the sheer amount of deaths that there have been.

You want to see the monk? Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FY_6I9tAss

Spooky!

There's also supposed to be a battallion of Roman soldiers marching up and down one of the fields next to the bypass, and just a bit further down the road there's supposed to be some children that dance around one of the electricity pylons. And also, where i work (which is fairly close to the bypass) there's supposedly a ghostly aparition that stalks the corridors, he's been seen and heard (apparently whistling and saying "Hello") during the day and at night. He must have something against me though, because i've worked there three years and never seen a damn thing.

Personally i think it's a load of bullshit, although now i've said that, i'm sure i'll probably see something! lol.

Same here, i have relatives that live in Deepcar and i have travelled down the bypass quite a few times in the light and dark depending on which way i am doing (from Barnsley) and have never seen anything.