Options

Why should working women get childcare tax breaks?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why a lot of big firms/companies don't have crèches on site and making it more affordable (than nurseries) for workers to use, employ child minders so that mums and dads can benefit by bringing children to work. I am sure lots of dads (parents can take it in turn) as well as mums would love to sit at dinner hour and breaks with their kids.
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Like so many situations of modern life a difficult circle to square.

As a nation that is evidentialy aging do we want to increase the UK birthrate? - Yes

Should women be encouraged to have the same career opportunities as men? absolutely.

So do we allow a paid career break, either A) at government expense or B) Employers expense, C) Woman's expense? C is a non starter mostly, B is fine if your talking Goldsmiths or perhaps Boeing, Exxon, or Apple, but not the local fish and chip shop, or even the local estate agents, and A if long term gain via tax revenues more than covers the payment and the mob does bray for political blood every 5 years or less.

Force option B and watch the repercussions on trade and industry.

Enact A , and expect criticism from taxpayers.

As for forcing down the cost of childcare, how's that to be achieved in a free market economy? More government intervention?

State run creches, in lieu of current tax credits?

No easy cheap answers, other than a time machine to pre WW2
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294252/Budget-2013--1-500-childcare-tax-breaks-woo-working-women.

Just been reaing this and feel that the goverment fall over themselves to give working women help when elderly people and childless foot the bill. If you have children and don't want to stay at home and look after them and put them into nursary or with a childminder then you should have to foot the bill yourself. why should other people have to pay for you?
    Its not wonder we have so many unruly children in Britain being left in nursaries and with childminders eight or more hours a day five days a week. Its a long day for the under fives being left with strangers.Too many mothers are leaving their kids because they don't want the responsibility of having to stay at home bringing up their children.
    The goverment would be better making it more worthwhile for mother's to stay at home looking after their own children.

For a working mum, the cost of child care is a working cost that comes out of the wages, so that should be tax deductible. I don't see any problem with that.

Besides its more tax effective to have 2 parents working in the standard tax band than one in the higher rate tax band. This an anomaly in the tax system as it stands at the moment, the 40% tax limit should be higher for married couples with only one working.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHY SHOULD ANYONE GET ANYTHING
    blahblahblah
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    damn that should have read "mob does not bray for political blood every 5 years or less."
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    highlight wrote: »
    I don't know why a lot of big firms/companies don't have crèches on site and making it more affordable (than nurseries) for workers to use, employ child minders so that mums and dads can benefit by bringing children to work. I am sure lots of dads (parents can take it in turn) as well as mums would love to sit at dinner hour and breaks with their kids.

They don't need to at a time of high unemployment sadly
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    highlight wrote: »
    I don't know why a lot of big firms/companies don't have crèches on site and making it more affordable (than nurseries) for workers to use...
    My employer had one. They closed it down because it was costing too much to run and costs had to be cut to balance the books.
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theres a food factory near here where immigrants are the main employees. ive seen them waiting to start their shift with small children in buggies.. they swop children with their friends /partners at the change of shift. it looked like a well oiled system and no one needs to pay for childcare.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Isn't this a case of damned if you do damned if you don't if a parent does not work and claims benefits to look after children then they are scroungers, if they take a low paid job and recieve a contribution towards the cost of childcare they are scroungers too. Every incentive to allow people to take employment should be used, including subsidised childcare.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    johna999 wrote: »
    so anyone on benefits shouldn't have children? so only those paying more into the system then they take out should have children?

But why would anyone choose to have children if one or both parents are on benefits? Not unless you are going to being able to get an awful lot of benefits which some people seem to be managing to do if they are not working and have children living off benefits.
    No people who have children even if they are paying into the system should not be entitled to getting free childcare or tax breaks. You choose to have the children look after them yourselves.

Exactly!

And if people were payed a decent wage and chilcare was cheaper that would help alot towards the problem
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Before you start thinking about having children you should sit down and work out whether you can afford to have them or not.
    So far in this thread its seems to be about the parents and not about the welfare of the children who are left five days a week for eight hours or more in the care of strangers.

And if we all did this, chances are only a small minority of the population would have kids, and that would be the parents who will be the ones putting their kids in childcare so they can go back to their high paying jobs!

No matter what you say and I will probably struck down for even bringing it up, but the Human Rights Convention state that we have a right to have a family! Says nothing about income!

I am mum of 4, on a low income and I am studying. My mum paid for two of my children to go to nursery and I know full well I cannot go back to work til they are all in full time education as there is no way I can afford childcare without help!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    katywil wrote: »
    sorry folks. i worded that totally wrong. i meant if working mums cant afford child care dont expect others to pay it for you. obviously that doesnt apply to mums on benefits as they dont work .,Do they???

Wrong! Mums who work and are on a low income claim benefits! I have worked in the past and have had to claim Housing Benefit plus other benefits to survive! It is has been shown that roughly 90% claiming housing benefit has someone in the household working!
  • Options
    gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    So if they should get no help towards the extortionate price of childcare...you would be happy for them to stay at home on unemployment benefits instead? I doubt it somehow.