Options

New 'Skins' series...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
Forum Member
Just watched the second instalment of the 'Cassie' episodes tonight, quite interesting but a bit weird too. The two episodes about Effy before these were better I think. I remember Cassie was friends with Effy's brother Tony back in Bristol in previous series', and we have Effy living in Deptford in south London and Cassie living somewhere in north London in this series. As these stories are meant to be taking place around the same time I would have thought Effy and Cassie would have been in touch, they are both living in London after all, but there was no mention of that.

References to Deptford appeared in Effy's two episodes, no specific area was mentioned for where Cassie has been living but in the episode last week someone mentioned Finchley Road, and that bench Cassie sits on is on Parliament Hill on Hampstead Heath. I recognised it. Those avenues you see in the distance when she is sat on the bench are the roads of the Holly Lodge Estate in Highgate. One of the nicest places to live in London. I think Cassie was possibly living somewhere around Archway, Holloway Road, or maybe the tatty bit of Belsize Park. She could "head up to her bench every morning" from those places, as she said she did. The other areas around there, Hampstead and Highgate, would be well out of her price range and are full of mansions rather than multi-occupancy bedsit houses.

So we learned that Effy is going to prison for insider-trading and her friend (I forget her name, she is played by Lily Loveless) is sadly dying of cancer. I assume that Cassie will continue to live in the bedsit with new neighbours, now her Scottish friend has gone, and she'll get a new job. I found it odd that her little brother is going to live with her when she has no money, and lives in a room where there is nowhere to accomodate him. Some of her neighbours will scare the kid too.

The next two episodes are about Cook, he is my least favourite character out of all the series' of Skins that have ever been on. He is a complete tool, and he has the most hilarious dress sense on earth. He was always involved in bad things and I suspect he will come to a sticky end in the next two (and final, ever) episodes. If anyone knows what happens to him please don't post it, I will watch both shows even though I never liked the character.

So what do people think of the four episodes so far? Two about Effy, and two about Cassie. The Effy ones were the best, I think. Also do people not think it strange Effy, Tony's sister, and Cassie, were never in touch? Both living in London and everything.

Comments

• Options
    The Jordan ShowThe Jordan Show Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find it strange at all. I live in the same city as people I used to be friends with and no longer talk to and it isn't at all bizarre or weird or a void in my life. People lose touch with people from their teen years. That is just a fact of life. Not everyone stays in touch throughout life and more often than not don't and I respect new Skins for showing the realism of growing up and becoming independent. I much prefer that outcome to an out of place scene showing Cassie meeting Effy for a coffee just because she was friends with her brother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see what you're saying but the group of them back in Bristol, in the earlier series', were a real unit and really supported each other. I am surprised there is no mention from Cassie about Tony, and I think she would have been keen to meet Effy when you consider how lonely Cassie appears to be. She has Effy just a few miles away. There where references last night to how London is basically a city of broken dreams, how people try to make their lives work but never really do. That was said in a chat between Cassie and the Scottish girl who lived in her house. Being lonely, lost, and broke, and many many miles from where she grew up, I think she probably would have got in touch with Effy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watched tonight's episode about Cook and I was surprisingly impressed. The character is played with a bit more reserve and humility than how it was played previously - all credit to the actor. I thought it was interesting how at the end he and on/off girlfriend fled the city, but I thought it odd that in the highlights for the next show, which they showed straight after, they revealed quite a lot about what happens next. Surely the point of a cliff-hanger is you wait till the next episode, not have it revealed 3 seconds later. He got a call from the girlfriend of the drug baron who he deals drugs for, the girl he bedded too, who said she needed his help and could he help her. They pulled off the road and the episode ended, we were meant to wonder till the next episode whether he does go and help her or not. In the highlights for next week straight after you not only see her with Cook and his girlfriend at a remote farmhouse, which means they did go and get her, but you also see her drug baron boyfriend at the house too - so we know he tracks them down. Apart from that part where the cliff-hanger was revealed, I thought it was a good episode. What did other people think?