Options

Battle of the Space Sims

metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
After many many years lacking a decent space sim game there are 3 coming along in the not to distant future.

X Rebirth - out next week, looks stunning and requires a pretty hefty machine to run it. Supposedly it's simplified the menus and admin of the previous games which made the old games all but unplayable to the casual gamer. I've pre-ordered it hopefully it lives upto it's looks.

Star Citizen - from the makers of Wing Commander, due some time next year, also looks pretty amazing from the videos. Shall have to wait and see nearer launch.

Elite Dangerous - The one I've been dreaming of since my 48k Spectrum days. Can't wait for this to finally come out, may even have to buy an Occulus Rift for it.

Obviously EVE online is already out there, played it for a few years from launch but it takes up to much time, still looks pretty good though.

Anyone else out there looking forward to any of these?

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Star Citizen looks like one of those rare games that are classed as 'Games worth upgrading for', it looks incredible.

....Holee mother of Mary...That X Rebirth video....:eek: All of it gameplay footage...wow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just upgraded from my 15 year old Alienware (which was the mutts nuts when I bought it but barely runs starcraft 2 now).

Built myself a beast of a machine, i7 4770K, 16gb Ram, GTX 770 GPU. Should keep me gaming happy in space for a while.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    metanoia wrote: »
    X Rebirth - out next week, looks stunning and requires a pretty hefty machine to run it. Supposedly it's simplified the menus and admin of the previous games which made the old games all but unplayable to the casual gamer. I've pre-ordered it hopefully it lives upto it's looks.

I don't think so. Outwardly it looks pretty, closer inspection shows the flaws. Admin from the old X's if anything seems to have been made worse.

The menu system's cumbersome. Mission tells you to find a drone dealer. Click a couple of layers into the menu system, hail a ship. More clicks on <more> to say you're looking for that trade. Ship says 'dunno'. Rinse and repeat. When you find one, fly to specifc dock and run around the station opening crates (for junk) until you find the 1990's vintage avatar, hire them then ferry it back to the ship that needs crew. It's as though radios and taxis had never been invented.

Then you'll get to the point in the campaign where you need to trade. Buy 100 energy cells, shouldn't be a problem, slap'em in your cargo hold and fly off. But no cargo hold on your ship. Luckily you have a cargo ship. Unluckily, you can't order it to fly off, buy the cells and drop them off. Maybe the pilot's too low skilled but you have to add it to your fleet, fly to the system, buy the cells, wait for the cargo ship to load them and tow it to the destination.

Or in my case, get to the selling system and wonder where the cargo ship's got to, give up and play X-Com instead.

Oh.. and no more manageing your system fleets/bases while autopiloting to the stargates. Travel is now aiming for the fart-tubes, flying into them and twitching occasionally to get a slipstream off something that flies faster than you can. And hoping you don't CTD on exit.

So far it's a tad buggy and needs a lot of work. Suggest waiting a few patchs and hoping some of the management stuff does get patched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so. Outwardly it looks pretty, closer inspection shows the flaws. Admin from the old X's if anything seems to have been made worse.

The menu system's cumbersome. Mission tells you to find a drone dealer. Click a couple of layers into the menu system, hail a ship. More clicks on <more> to say you're looking for that trade. Ship says 'dunno'. Rinse and repeat. When you find one, fly to specifc dock and run around the station opening crates (for junk) until you find the 1990's vintage avatar, hire them then ferry it back to the ship that needs crew. It's as though radios and taxis had never been invented.

Then you'll get to the point in the campaign where you need to trade. Buy 100 energy cells, shouldn't be a problem, slap'em in your cargo hold and fly off. But no cargo hold on your ship. Luckily you have a cargo ship. Unluckily, you can't order it to fly off, buy the cells and drop them off. Maybe the pilot's too low skilled but you have to add it to your fleet, fly to the system, buy the cells, wait for the cargo ship to load them and tow it to the destination.

Or in my case, get to the selling system and wonder where the cargo ship's got to, give up and play X-Com instead.

Oh.. and no more manageing your system fleets/bases while autopiloting to the stargates. Travel is now aiming for the fart-tubes, flying into them and twitching occasionally to get a slipstream off something that flies faster than you can. And hoping you don't CTD on exit.

So far it's a tad buggy and needs a lot of work. Suggest waiting a few patchs and hoping some of the management stuff does get patched.

It certainly has issues :mad:

I'm not having any performance issues or crashes (well I had one CTD).

It does look stunning and has lots of potential, but in it's current state it is almost unplayable with bugged missions and the trading system with the limited orders (which the ship seems to ignore).

I've got around every problem so far, but it's turning into a beat the bug game rather than a space sim. Looks to me that Elite Dangerous is the next best hope and by the time that's out X rebirth may have been patched to a playable level
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    metanoia wrote: »
    It certainly has issues :mad:

Hopefully they'll get patched or modded. Files seem fairly open.
    It does look stunning and has lots of potential, but in it's current state it is almost unplayable with bugged missions and the trading system with the limited orders (which the ship seems to ignore).

I'm.. not sure about stunning. It's pretty, but cluttered. Zones seem small and full of stuff & think I preferred old-X's feeling of well, space. Mission and trade bugs should be quick fixes & people are reporting more luck playing in sandbox. Station managers seem to reduce the amount of micro-management that may be needed.
    I've got around every problem so far, but it's turning into a beat the bug game rather than a space sim.

Yup, not the best launch. And my favorite X-Com colonel took a face full of EXALT rocket. Not a good weekend for me gaming-wise.
    Looks to me that Elite Dangerous is the next best hope and by the time that's out X rebirth may have been patched to a playable level

Yup, have high hopes for that one, and may even have a ship design in it :)