breaking bad

Comments

• Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    kempshott wrote: »
    Only just seen the clip - thanks. That looks like lilly-of-the-valley on the table - just a coincidence?.

:D There are no coincidences in Breaking Bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Seems they have missed the boat then.

Still, if they are only going to show it very late at night on what are still obscure channels like 5USA and FX, what did they expect?

It needed a main channel to show it at 9pm to give it a shot.

It is not suitable for a 9PM slot, strong drug dealing theme and 18 rated episodes mean it's only suitable for a 10PM slot.

They were hardly going to put an unknown show with no real pedigree (at that time) on a main channel in a popular slot.

And after FX showed it, Channel 5 were only able to get one showing of the first series, no repeats, so they couldn't really do catchup. And if the situation is still the same, it's possible any prospective channels have been put off, and depending on Channel 5/FX's deal it's also possible Sony can't sell on the rights to the first season, which is a massive problem for the show...

And then after it won a load of awards Sony upped the price so that no network was willing to risk it, especially since it had flopped before (and that's assuming Sony are/were able to sell them the rights to the first season).
    Forum Member
    OK OK I give up!

Let them miss out on what has been stated by many as the best show ever.

Do I care? No! I've seen it all without adverts, in HD, at any time I wish.

They are the ones who ferked up and lost out. Let them carry on with their mediocre, bland TV.

Their stupidity only adds to it cult status: The TV show so good that British TV didn't show it. (I think that sums up this country's TV companies - They could have had the greatest show ever but chose not to. It's the man who turned down the Beatles all over again.)

The only thing worse the our TV companies are their apologists who refuse to see any wrong ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching it all for the second time on Netflix and believe its worth doing in order to pick up on some subtleties not noticed first time (for instance Jane having the choice of two doors - bright and dark).

I'm actually up to the start of series 5 and must admit its the least enjoyable of the whole series (with good reason - how dramatic the end of S4 was!)

Not sure what to make of 'Better Call Saul' - hope it doesn't turn into an Only Fools and Horses spinoff (Green green grass with Boycie - dreadful )
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking about going for my 3rd viewing from the start.

I liked season 5 as whilst it was an entirely different breast, it was the beast we had been waiting for. It was dark and they turned the acting up to 11. And the change of pace was nice as we had had the fight with Crazy 8's and his crew, the fight with Tuco and the fight with Fring, to just have another baddy (not matter how good) would have just been more of the same. Season 5 was Walter White fighting Heisenberg and both fighting the world.

Whilst I loved it all, it was nice and far more uncomfortable when it was just about Walter White in season 5 and wondering just where the hell they were going with it.

'Better Call Saul' - I think it will have to be and deliberately be completely different to Breaking Bad and that may annoy some as they want it as a fix for the Breaking Bad Baby Blues. However, with the calibre of the writing team and crew behind it, I can't see it being totally crap. It will just be different.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would lole to rewatch this again from the beginning but s5 is far too uncomfortable. In actual fact the more i think about it the more i think things turned out just the way walter wanted . The way he behaved in s5 you really wanted a gruesome end for him.
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I would lole to rewatch this again from the beginning but s5 is far too uncomfortable. In actual fact the more i think about it the more i think things turned out just the way walter wanted . The way he behaved in s5 you really wanted a gruesome end for him.

Uncomfortable = great TV in my opinion. This was never going to be the Wizard of Oz. "Boxcutter" Season 4 Ep 1 had me hiding behind the sofa. So intense: someone was going to die but who? And disgustingly gruesome when it happened.

I loved Walter all the way through. I accepted that he was an anti-hero early on and so the bad he did was expected to grow and grow, and it did.

But the whole show is a matter of opinion and everyone's viewpoint is just as acceptable as anyone else's. It's a morality play for the viewer to think about how far would they go and what reasons would be acceptable. This was Walter White's story and the choices he made wrong or wronger.

It was great as it was TV with no compromise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the main things I disliked about S5 was the sudden introduction of the gang who were oblivious previously...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started to watch this recently, I'm almost finished with Season 2. Season 1 was lukewarm and picks up in the last few episodes. Otherwise it's a fantastic show. I'm not really liking the new side of Walter, he comes off as a complete a*shole to those around him and I must say I do like his alter ego Heinsberg. It's given a meek, introverted teacher a new found sense of confidence, like when he threatens those guys in the parking lot and tells them to get off his turf. He felt really good afterwards when he exerted his power. I really like Jesse, he has this vulnerability about him that you can't help but feel bad for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    OK OK I give up!

Let them miss out on what has been stated by many as the best show ever.

Do I care? No! I've seen it all without adverts, in HD, at any time I wish.

They are the ones who ferked up and lost out. Let them carry on with their mediocre, bland TV.

Their stupidity only adds to it cult status: The TV show so good that British TV didn't show it. (I think that sums up this country's TV companies - They could have had the greatest show ever but chose not to. It's the man who turned down the Beatles all over again.)

The only thing worse the our TV companies are their apologists who refuse to see any wrong ever.

It was a bad decision sure, but if you can't understand why it was made you're an idiot. They want money not art, and it looks as if there were contractual obligations that made it difficult to pick up anyway...
    Forum Member
    sam_h786 wrote: »
    I've started to watch this recently, I'm almost finished with Season 2. Season 1 was lukewarm and picks up in the last few episodes. Otherwise it's a fantastic show. I'm not really liking the new side of Walter, he comes off as a complete a*shole to those around him and I must say I do like his alter ego Heinsberg. It's given a meek, introverted teacher a new found sense of confidence, like when he threatens those guys in the parking lot and tells them to get off his turf. He felt really good afterwards when he exerted his power. I really like Jesse, he has this vulnerability about him that you can't help but feel bad for him.

Keep watching as it gets far worse and good in ways that you just couldn't imagine. :D

It's good that you are thinking about the character of Walt and deciding if he is write or wrong. Just start doing that with all the characters at all the different stages and you will be a complete screaming loon like the rest of us by the finish.

This the story of Walter White and the people around him, the choices they make and it's just for you! You decide what you think about all these people and don't forget to scream abuse at the TV screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam_h786 wrote: »

If you havent seen all of this then do yourself a favor and get out of this thread, and come back when youre done watching it all :) Dont blame us if anyone posts some kind of spoiler for you ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep watching as it gets far worse and good in ways that you just couldn't imagine. :D

It's good that you are thinking about the character of Walt and deciding if he is write or wrong. Just start doing that with all the characters at all the different stages and you will be a complete screaming loon like the rest of us by the finish.

This the story of Walter White and the people around him, the choices they make and it's just for you! You decide what you think about all these people and don't forget to scream abuse at the TV screen.

LOL, I will continue to watch this til the very end of the show Jesse.

Yeah, Walt has finally crossed over to the dark side however he seems conflicted in some aspects and feels a pang of guilt whenever he is an a*shole. I think its wrong of Skyler to chase her boss even though he's very goodlooking, deliberately tipping her pen pot (lol, very slick Sky! ;)). I just knew she is going to end up having an affair with him.

haha, how slimy is Saul?!

LMAO, thanks I will keep that in mind Pinkman.
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    If you havent seen all of this then do yourself a favor and get out of this thread, and come back when youre done watching it all :) Dont blame us if anyone posts some kind of spoiler for you ;-)

Don't worry Shaggy! I just thought I'd show some love for this brilliant show. I won't get p*ssed about spoilers since the show has gone off air.
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the final series is the best, but very grim! :(

It is indeed a great fictional show that only the Americans could pull off. It looks like a high budget movie than a TV series.

The mid-air plane crash was just a little too far-fetched for my liking, however.

Another disappointment is the women who was selling the meth to Europe never got her kit off :D

Hank was hilarious, the characterization of Saul - genius.

The Wire still remains the daddy for me though due to it's gritty reality where you don't have to stretch the imagination, although comparing any show to the The Wire is never fair.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was it ever established who phoned Hank to warn him about the twin killers that were coming for him , was it Gus ?

also - how did Walt poison Brock ? I know he used that plant but how did he get it to / give it to him ?
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    was it ever established who phoned Hank to warn him about the twin killers that were coming for him , was it Gus ?

also - how did Walt poison Brock ? I know he used that plant but how did he get it to / give it to him ?

It was made clear that it was Gus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is indeed a great fictional show that only the Americans could pull off. It looks like a high budget movie than a TV series.

The mid-air plane crash was just a little too far-fetched for my liking, however.

Another disappointment is the women who was selling the meth to Europe never got her kit off :D

The Wire still remains the daddy for me though due to it's gritty reality where you don't have to stretch the imagination, although comparing any show to the The Wire is never fair.

Agree with everything in this post. The Wire can never be beaten as everything is as close to reality as you can get and still make a great entertaining tv show.

Number two has to be Sopranos for me followed by Breaking Bad.

BB would be higher in the list except lots of situations are far fetched

eg there never seems to be much traffic in Alberquerque , the capital city of New Mexico
    Everything turns out just as Walt planned it even if things go wrong initially
    The plane crash. Hmmm
    Too many 'coincidence' moments
    Eg the final machine gun shoot out.
    Walt manages too many close calls with Hank without being discovered.
    Walt is saved numerous times by chicken man. Chicken man seems a well experienced ruthless cartel boss and yet doesn't realise the danger an 'amateur' like Walt poses to his business and yet he lets him live a little too long :)

Despite its faults it's a great show and I'll be re watching in about 6 months.

Had it been more realistic I would have put it up there with The Wire
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wire was sh1t .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    It is a great show but I hated the 'expanded' conversations. Especially with walter's wife. It just seemed unnecessary and added on to reach the 45-min mark of each episode.
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a great show but I hated the 'expanded' conversations. Especially with walter's wife. It just seemed unnecessary and added on to reach the 45-min mark of each episode.

Yeah definitely - NOT

Think you are just trying to "stimulate conversation"

That is the polite version of "just winding people up"

Although if this really is what you feel please give an example of this padding.

Edit:
    Apologiers - just read your profile and now am certain you were being serious!

No argument here with you - just not your sort of drama I think.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People that come into a Breaking Bad thread to say they dont like it....:o
  • Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual with things like this I get into them ages after anyone else :p

I've watched the first two series so far and I'm loving it. Definitely living up to the hype and I hear it gets even better.

Have to say though that I really disliked the ending to season two. They seemed to make a big thing of the ending throughout the season and it was such an anticlimax.
    Forum Member
    Jackapple wrote: »
    People that come into a Breaking Bad thread to say they dont like it....:o

It's a free world! They have every entitlement to be hopelessly wrong!

:D
  • digipersondigiperson Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual with things like this I get into them ages after anyone else :p

I've watched the first two series so far and I'm loving it. Definitely living up to the hype and I hear it gets even better.

Have to say though that I really disliked the ending to season two. They seemed to make a big thing of the ending throughout the season and it was such an anticlimax.

The ending to season three makes up for it! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you should watch Lip Service if that is what you were after from that actress.