Options

GOLD showing B*Witched/I Dream Of Jeannie

steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
Forum Member
✭✭
From 6 May.

Bit of a weird choice none UK shows from the 60's a real change of direction for the channel.

Comments

• Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good old Bewitched.

I remember when the BBC showed it in the 60's the end of the opening sequence was always clumsily cut off at the end.

It was only when I visited my Canadian cousins a few years later there was some sort of 'sponsored by' announcement at the end of the opening credits- which the BBC had rather clumsily removed!
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Isn't it Bewitched? B*witched is the band. :)
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Isn't it Bewitched? B*witched is the band. :)

Lol pop music of my era so influenced anyway altered now.

I have amended but it isn't showing up
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    From 6 May.

Bit of a weird choice none UK shows from the 60's a real change of direction for the channel.

Makes a change from OFAH
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old Bewitched.

I remember when the BBC showed it in the 60's the end of the opening sequence was always clumsily cut off at the end.

It was only when I visited my Canadian cousins a few years later there was some sort of 'sponsored by' announcement at the end of the opening credits- which the BBC had rather clumsily removed!

Pah, I Dream Of Jeanie isn't worthy enough to be in the same planetary sytem as Bewitched, derivative rubbish.

I bet Bewitched was sponsored by a ciggie company, weird that the three main actors [ Montgomery , York and Sargent, } all died of smoking related cancer in their early sixties.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems a shame from seeing the trailers that they seem to be showing the colourised versions of the black & white episodes.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Seems a shame from seeing the trailers that they seem to be showing the colourised versions of the black & white episodes.

Better than nothing!

Did they show the colour versions on Living?

From memory, Channel 4 only showed Jeannie episode 1 in black and white then jumped to the colour episodes.

I think 4 showed all the black and white Bewitched.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love these programmes! I used to watch them way back when Channel 4 used to show them during my secondary school days. Good clean fun with wonderful casts. :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I watched these on channel4 when I was quite little.
    Enjoyed Bewitched more because the stories were better, and I liked how Endora would always ridicule Samantha's husband.

Jeannie was ok - I remember being fascinated by the inside of the bottle/lamp where she lived - all cushions and velvet:
    http://interiordomaindesigns.com/blog/files/2012/04/i-dream-of-jeannie-barbara-eden-bottle-home.jpg
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As stated by Goblin Queen,good clean fun and great casts,just as long as you record them,as the ad breaks on Gold are very frequent.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can really remember of these was her mother always getting Darren's name wrong.

I can't remember what she called him, though.

(Oh, and Sam twitching her nose. And the baby twitching its nose.)
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I bet Bewitched was sponsored by a ciggie company...

No, Quaker Oats, Chevrolet and Oscar Mayer were the main sponsors over the years. I Love Lucy on the other hand ...
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    All I can really remember of these was her mother always getting Darren's name wrong.

I can't remember what she called him, though.

(Oh, and Sam twitching her nose. And the baby twitching its nose.)

She called him lots of different things eg Darwood. I don't think she had one 'wrong' name for him.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She called him lots of different things eg Darwood. I don't think she had one 'wrong' name for him.

Endora was always my favourite character. :D

Never found the show as good when Dick York left though. So sad how he ended up ill and with nothing. :(
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Endora was always my favourite character. :D

Never found the show as good when Dick York left though. So sad how he ended up ill and with nothing. :(

York was a seriously talented thesp, doing top dramatic stuff on broadway, a contemporary of Perkins, Hopper and Dean, then he gets a gig in a fluffy sit-com, it pays the bills though.

Same with Corbett in Steptoe and Son, he was a Brit Method actor of high regard and thought the Steptoe gig would only have a six episode run and he could get back to serious stage acting.

I like the Bewitched episodes where Sam's more devilish, and sexier, alter ego appears,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lMBpq1Ua7Ds/UVXiLEgmrCI/AAAAAAAAEsI/PsptfyPpFFo/s1600/Bewitched.jpg
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both had great theme tunes
    I could sing both now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    York was a seriously talented thesp, doing top dramatic stuff on broadway, a contemporary of Perkins, Hopper and Dean, then he gets a gig in a fluffy sit-com, it pays the bills though.

Same with Corbett in Steptoe and Son, he was a Brit Method actor of high regard and thought the Steptoe gig would only have a six episode run and he could get back to serious stage acting.

I like the Bewitched episodes where Sam's more devilish, and sexier, alter ego appears,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lMBpq1Ua7Ds/UVXiLEgmrCI/AAAAAAAAEsI/PsptfyPpFFo/s1600/Bewitched.jpg

Don't you mean 'Pandora Sparks' aka 'Serena'?

(Of course Liz Montgomery herself of course!)

http://coursesite.uhcl.edu/HSH/Whitec/ximages/celebs/BewitchedSerena.jpg

Not to be outdone, 'Jeannie' had her alter ego/evil sister too, also played by Barbara Eden :

http://uploads.neatorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Jeannie-and-Her-Twin-Sister-i-dream-of-jeannie-6447055-400-313.jpg
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Makes a change from OFAH

Oh do not be so silly. OFAH will still be shown as it has been for past 7 years or so. YAAAAWN
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    From 6 May.

fab news, haven't seen either programs in years :)
  • Options
    000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    JezR wrote: »
    No, Quaker Oats, Chevrolet and Oscar Mayer were the main sponsors over the years. I Love Lucy on the other hand ...

...plus Aunt Jemima's Pancakes and Syrup as well as Ken-L Ration dog food with US Government Inspected Horsemeat! Now there's a scandal waiting to happen. Unfortunately, dogs can't speak or write letters of complaint yet, so it maybe some time before the shit hits the fan. Pavements, on the other hand, may have been hit already!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sony Movies Channel showed one of the revival Jeannie movie's today, I Still Dream Of Jeannie.

No Larry Hagman in it, but Ken Kerchaval (Cliff Barnes in Dallas) was in it.

I think there are 3 spin off movies.

Wayne Rogers (Trapper from MASH) played Nelson in the first one.

Nelson was missing from the second one.

Did Hagman finally appear for the third one?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    The Sony Movies Channel showed one of the revival Jeannie movie's today, I Still Dream Of Jeannie.

No Larry Hagman in it, but Ken Kerchaval (Cliff Barnes in Dallas) was in it.

I think there are 3 spin off movies.

Wayne Rogers (Trapper from MASH) played Nelson in the first one.

Nelson was missing from the second one.

Did Hagman finally appear for the third one?

There were only two

I Dream Of Jeannie... Fifteen Years Later (1985) and I Still Dream Of Jeannie (1991)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just watched the pilot episode of Bewitched, had never seen it before now, loved it , love bewitched
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to really fancy 'Sam' but Elizabeth Montgomery died fairly young at 62 of a cancer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I used to really fancy 'Sam' but Elizabeth Montgomery died fairly young at 62 of a cancer.

she was a really beautiful woman :) 62 is too young an age to die :(