How can I tell my friend that he smells?

13»

Comments

• Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I can't tell him that lol!!

I need to get serious now. This has been going on for nearly a year now and it's time someone did something.

So he's been told many times, both seriously and in jest, he's clearly aware of his condition and his behaviour seems to have got worse.
    Why do you hang out with him?
    Why are there children involved?
    Maybe, having had a serious conversation in vain, if you and others simply stopped hanging out with him he'll realise he needs the company and sort himself out.
    Maybe...... if not then he's not that motivated to keep his friends.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so, he always seem genuinely happy when I see him, but then he hits the drink.

Bad hygiene is common with alcoholics. Unfortunately, he needs to seek professional help for the cause of his problems. Nothing you can do. I would avoid him.
  • NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    So he's been told many times, both seriously and in jest, he's clearly aware of his condition and his behaviour seems to have got worse.
    Why do you hang out with him?
    Why are there children involved?
    Maybe, having had a serious conversation in vain, if you and others simply stopped hanging out with him he'll realise he needs the company and sort himself out.
    Maybe...... if not then he's not that motivated to keep his friends.

He just appears and he won't go away.
    It's in a pub full of people, we do actually try to get away from but he follows us around.
    Forum Member
    Bad hygiene is common with alcoholics. Unfortunately, he needs to seek professional help for the cause of his problems. Nothing you can do. I would avoid him.

I've even contemplated getting his mum and dad involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He just appears and he won't go away.
    It's in a pub full of people, we do actually try to get away from but he follows us around.
    You've described him as a friend you want to help.
    Now you say he "just appears and wont go away" despite your efforts to get away from him.
    :confused:
    Forum Member
    You've described him as a friend you want to help.
    Now you say he "just appears and wont go away" despite your efforts to get away from him.
    :confused:

He's a really nice guy when he's sober and he'll do anything for you. I only want to help him for his own benefit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a really nice guy when he's sober and he'll do anything for you. I only want to help him for his own benefit.
    Then give him an ultimatum for his own benefit.
    Forum Member
    Then give him an ultimatum for his own benefit.

That's what I'm gonna do. It's gone on for long enough now.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    does he have any support? he sounds like his life is quite difficult and sad.
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Ok mate, ya stink. Job done!

It's better than letting your mate walk round with a nasty odour.