Another Mechanic question

abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a Polo and been told this morning that the Hydrolic Cable to the clutch needs to be replaced. My mechanic for some reason, and I did ask him, cannot quote me a price, he is incorporating it in the cost of a service. So my question for now is does anyone on here know roughly how much that could set me back.

I should say he is extremely trustworthy and certainly wouldn't overcharge me but I want to know whether I am looking at hundreds of pounds or less or more - :o

Comments

• Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    I have a Polo and been told this morning that the Hydrolic Cable to the clutch needs to be replaced. My mechanic for some reason, and I did ask him, cannot quote me a price, he is incorporating it in the cost of a service. So my question for now is does anyone on here know roughly how much that could set me back.

I should say he is extremely trustworthy and certainly wouldn't overcharge me but I want to know whether I am looking at hundreds of pounds or less or more - :o

Is it the pipe from the fluid tank to the slave cylinder?
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Is it the pipe from the fluid tank to the slave cylinder?

sorry, I have no idea. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry, I have no idea. :blush:

Would need to know:

What is the pipe and why it needs replacing as It's unusual just to replace a hydraulic clutch fluid pipe.

The full details of the car...reg, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would need to know:

What is the pipe and why it needs replacing as It's unusual just to replace a hydraulic clutch fluid pipe.

The full details of the car...reg, etc.

Well, I can give you some info:

Car is Polo twist
    It's on a private plate but actually is registered on a 57 plate
    engine is 1200
    it's done just under 42,000 miles

but as to the mechanics of the problem I am at a loss so I suppose I will just have to think the worst in terms of cost and hope that it comes in under the amount I have in mind which is £300.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I can give you some info:

Car is Polo twist
    It's on a private plate but actually is registered on a 57 plate
    engine is 1200
    it's done just under 42,000 miles

but as to the mechanics of the problem I am at a loss so I suppose I will just have to think the worst in terms of cost and hope that it comes in under the amount I have in mind which is £300.

What is the nature of your problem?
    Do you have a fluid leak?
    Are you having difficulty selecting gears?

Sorry, but It's difficult to give you a solid answer without knowing the details.

If it is a straightforward leaky pipe situation then £300 would be way over the top.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the nature of your problem?
    Do you have a fluid leak?
    Are you having difficulty selecting gears?

Sorry, but It's difficult to give you a solid answer without knowing the details.

If it is a straightforward leaky pipe situation then £300 would be way over the top.

The symptons are getting it into gear from standing - cruntches and I have to put my foot almost to the floor, however once I am driving it seems to be ok although the biting point to the clutch seems to be getting lower but its only something I noticed last week, other and that there are no other symptons
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The symptons are getting it into gear from standing - cruntches and I have to put my foot almost to the floor, however once I am driving it seems to be ok although the biting point to the clutch seems to be getting lower but its only something I noticed last week, other and that there are no other symptons

Right, given the symptoms of gear selection problems and low biting point the usual cause of this is a faulty (leaking) hydraulic clutch slave cylinder.

Depending on where the part is sourced the cylinders cost between £50 and £70, possibly a little less.The cost of fitting the part should be around an hour in labour whatever your mechanic usually charges per hour...it should be less, but an hour should cover it.
    If there is a leaking pipe then the cost should be less.

That's the best I can do for you :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I appreciate your help, hopefully you are right. I'll come back and let you know
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some cars need the gearbox taking off to replace the slave cylinder (e.g Rover 75) which is a right pig of a job. No idea if a Polo is the same, but if it is it would explain a large bill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some cars need the gearbox taking off to replace the slave cylinder (e.g Rover 75) which is a right pig of a job. No idea if a Polo is the same, but if it is it would explain a large bill.

That is for a concentric slave cylinder...the Polo in question has a bolt on slave cylinder according to the parts listing I looked at.

You would replace the clutch at the same time if you are replacing a concentric type slave cylinder.