Options

Cilla, ITV, tngt, looking forward to this... But

Comments

• Options
    jjrussjjruss Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Sunny B wrote: »
    I'm sick of that advert aswell! "I've blown it haven't I? Everything!" :mad:

It seems to be very over hyped for some reason. :confused:
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Hope there are plenty of songs in the drama. Suppose they will just be short bits. Like to see her album back in the charts again after this
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to watch it, don't really like Cilla much but I do like Sheridan Smith, she played Mrs Biggs really well
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    She may be a great all rounder, but she won awards for a west end show, can do comedy, and straight acting and can sing.. Acting is not about the training, is about the talent.

As I said in my previous post, she can indeed do all the things you mention, but not very well.

As for talent, it consists of what is innate and what is acquired. For most who want to become an accomplished actor, formal training at a drama school is a prerequisite. Occasionally, an exceptional individual with a keen intellect and inquiring mind (and frequently academically gifted) comes along who manages to circumvent this well trodden path, such as, for instance, Ian McKellan, who only really started to take acting seriously as a by-product of his love of Shakespeare whilst studying at Cambridge.

Unfortunately, none of the above qualities apply to the badly spoken and poorly educated Ms Smith, who has acquired a sizable following from a certain, unenlightened type of viewer, particularly those keen on soaps, who think, misguidedly, that what she does constitutes good acting,
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still not entirely sure why this has been made and in three parts, she is not exactly an interesting person. There are loads of people who were in showbiz back then that would have been better suited to a drama bio.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I think Sheridan Smith is one our great's and should play the part perfect, but it, even with make-up etc, she still so much better looking than Cilla herself,

According to Front Row, this is something of a disctraction. Cilla Black never looked anything other than the dowdy, buck-toothed typist that she was, whereas Sheridan Smith looks like an actress.
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Sheridan Smith is also better at singing than Cilla, so the whole thing is a bit ridiculous.

She does indeed seem to be a very good singer. I heard a clip of her from the show and she was clearly better than Cilla Black.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    As I said in my previous post, she can indeed do all the things you mention, but not very well.

As for talent, it consists of what is innate and what is acquired. For most who want to become an accomplished actor, formal training at a drama school is a prerequisite. Occasionally, an exceptional individual with a keen intellect and inquiring mind (and frequently academically gifted) comes along who manages to circumvent this well trodden path, such as, for instance, Ian McKellan, who only really started to take acting seriously as a by-product of his love of Shakespeare whilst studying at Cambridge.

Unfortunately, none of the above qualities apply to the badly spoken and poorly educated Ms Smith, who has acquired a sizable following from a certain, unenlightened type of viewer, particularly those keen on soaps, who think, misguidedly, that what she does constitutes good acting,

Oh dear. It's difficult to know exactly where to start refuting this much drivel. Here goes.

Sheridan Smith is not just some 'by the numbers' soap star made good. She is an accomplished stage actress, having appeared in serious theatre drama productions as well as the more populist musical stuff.

She has won numerous awards, including two Laurence Olivier awards in consecutive years. For her role in Trevor Nunn's Flare Path at the Theatre Royal, she won not only the Evening Standard's Award for Best Actress but also BroadwayWorld UK's award for Best Featured Actress in a Play and the Laurence Olivier award for Best Performance in a Supporting Role.

She was nominated for five awards for her TV performance as the eponymous Mrs Biggs and won two, including the British Academy Television award for Best Actress.

Probably best to do a little research before you make a fool of yourself, eh? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly, she outsold the others. Cilla, Sandie and Dusty, strangely enough, all had 17 hits in the sixties. Cilla had 2 no.1s, a number 2, 2 other top five and a total of 10 top ten. Sandie had 3 no.1s (but one of them was the awful Eurovision entry), no number 2's, 2 other top five and a total of 8 top ten. Dusty, incontestably the best singer of the three, had 1 no.1, only 2 other top five and a total of only 6 top ten.

Quite agree. The charts tell only a very small part of the story when it comes to talent.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I detest Cilla, but adore Sheridan, so will be watching this for her, she is a pleasure to watch in anything and everything.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of Cilla at all , but watched the preview at the BFI (they showed the 1st 2 parts), because my partner is a fan of Sheridan Smith.

Much to my surprise I really enjoyed it, I was expecting some lightweight, glossy drama, but it wasn't (especially as it moved into part 2, and the Epstein era).

And the music (including Sheridan's singing) was recorded live, not dubbed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »

Yes of course she poorly educated... And as for awards.. No none....

"She studied dance at the Joyce Mason School,of Dance, at a early age, then went onto Axholme community School, to study performing arts, and was a member of The National Youth Music Theatre, performing a number of lead roles.

Laurence Olivier Award
    Best Actress in a Musical:
    Legally Blonde (2011)
    Best Supporting Role:
    Flare Path (2012)
    Theatregoers' Choice Award
    Best Actress in a Musical:
    Legally Blonde (2011)
    Best Actress in a Play:
    Hedda Gabler (2013)
    Evening Standard Award
    Best Actress:
    Flare Path (2011)
    British Academy Television Award
    Best Actress
    Mrs Biggs (2013)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not going to watch this. I like Sheridan Smith but can't bear Cilla Black and have no interest in her life. Even Sheridan Smith couldn't tempt me to watch this.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So looking forward to this.
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prediction: This will be one of the shows of the year, and Sheridan Smith will be this year's Olivia Colman and clean up at the BAFTA's and other awards.
    No pressure then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will watch it on catch-up,tmrw as I also not interested really in Cilla, but love SS, one of our greatest young talents.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    I'm sick of that advert aswell! "I've blown it haven't I? Everything!" :mad:
    Quite an appropriate line if the stories of her early days are to be believed. :D
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Cow Cilla. :mad:
  • Options
    ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening all. :)

I'm not a massive fan of Cilla Black but this looks quite good. :blush:
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the goofy teeth Sheridan is wearing, fit the part perfectly!
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this so far. This actress is brilliant
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of them are getting the accent quite right though, why can no-one do a Scouse accent? Other than that, it's quite good so far.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been good so far
    None of them are getting the accent quite right though, why can no-one do a Scouse accent? Other than that, it's quite good so far.

Not seeing any problems with the accents myself
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    I like the goofy teeth Sheridan is wearing, fit the part perfectly!

Think Cilla had a nose job as well in the sixties, as she had a Roman nose.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Been good so far

Not seeing any problems with the accents myself

Their 'es' and 'os' don't sound nearly high-pitched enough to me! :D
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    It's good. Very charming.