New iPod Range

mrdeejaymrdeejay Posts: 572
Forum Member
✭✭
I was wondering if anyone had any info on any the new range of iPods?? Do they usally change the range in September???

Looking at a Classic just now but want to see if there is new ones coming out.....

Comments

• clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrdeejay wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone had any info on any the new range of iPods?? Do they usally change the range in September???

Looking at a Classic just now but want to see if there is new ones coming out.....

Apple are notorious for their new product security - it'll all just be rumours at the moment.

The only obvious item will be adding more storage to the Touch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're a Windows user and/or not totally addicted to iPods, check out Zunes. You can 120GB versions off Ebay for a similar price to the Classic 120, and are better for the following reasons:

- nicer hardware, bigger screen when viewing videos
    - compatibility with more formats (wma, wmv as well as AAC, mp3 etc)
    - radio (with programme information onscreen)
    - reverse synching so can be used for backup
    - better user interface and better software
    - you can continue using iTunes to buy music, as Zunes play it
    - wireless sync if you have a wifi network set up

I don't see any new Classics adding much more features other than larger storage to be honest. The touch is Apple's flagship audio product.
  • jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fromez wrote: »
    If you're a Windows user and/or not totally addicted to iPods, check out Zunes. You can 120GB versions off Ebay for a similar price to the Classic 120, and are better for the following reasons:

I don't see any new Classics adding much more features other than larger storage to be honest. The touch is Apple's flagship audio product.

The UI and software is not as good on the Zune as on the iPod and nor is the content available for it. The Zune will play music files from iTunes but it won't lay any TV shows or Movies. The Zune is also unsupported in this country where as the iPod is backed by the excellent Applecare.

The Zune hardware is pap and alwyas has been and while the Zune HD looks nice it misses the key features of no apps. It is still just a Mp3 player where as the iPod Touch is a mini Mac.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammers wrote: »
    The UI and software is not as good on the Zune as on the iPod and nor is the content available for it. The Zune will play music files from iTunes but it won't lay any TV shows or Movies. The Zune is also unsupported in this country where as the iPod is backed by the excellent Applecare.

The Zune hardware is pap and alwyas has been and while the Zune HD looks nice it misses the key features of no apps. It is still just a Mp3 player where as the iPod Touch is a mini Mac.

If you think the UI is better on the Classic, you haven't tried the Zune. Simple as.

I've owned iPods for several years and bought very few videos. If I want to watch videos on my iPod or Zune (on its big landscape screen) I'll rip them DRM free thank you very much.

Didn't mention Zune HD, did I? As for definite lack of apps, do you know something the rest of the world doesn't?

Supportwise, it's been easy. My 1st Zune broke? B & H Photo got it replaced. My 2nd Zune developed dead pixels? the ebay seller I bought it from exchanged it. My iPod touch got dead pixels too, so don't come to me with these "pap" comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think the UI is better on the Classic, you haven't tried the Zune. Simple as.

I've owned iPods for several years and bought very few videos. If I want to watch videos on my iPod or Zune (on its big landscape screen) I'll rip them DRM free thank you very much.

Didn't mention Zune HD, did I? As for definite lack of apps, do you know something the rest of the world doesn't?

Supportwise, it's been easy. My 1st Zune broke? B & H Photo got it replaced. My 2nd Zune developed dead pixels? the ebay seller I bought it from exchanged it. My iPod touch got dead pixels too, so don't come to me with these "pap" comments.

Ha ha talk about aggressive. Zune sucks mate. You found a good eBay seller - there is no guarantee that 3 or 4 months down the line an eBay seller would take back a Zune that the original OP had brought on your recommendation. There is no support and you will be lucky to get any from an eBay seller.

What you do with your videos is great for you but that doesn't mean everyone will steal them like you do. The OP may want to buy TV shows or Videos from iTunes and is another reason why the Zune may not be any good for him but as you are so self absorbed you seemed to have ignored the point that the OP was asking about an iPod refresh, not a Zuntard.

MegaShaft have already said the Zune will have no apps.

Oh and your Zune, with your big landscape screen, is running the same resolution as your iPod :rolleyes: Plus it has a poorer battery.
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    Having tried both the Zune and the ipod I would have to say the Zune has the edge simply because of the better audio and video quality. The software sucks though.

The touch rocks as an all round mini computer, but there are better media players available, such as the Cowon S9.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, love it. Do you want to do this every time?

The OP was looking at the iPod classic. Every time someone on these forums notes they are looking at this model, I will suggest they take a look at the Zune hard disk models. Simply because the Zune 80/120 is a Classic-like player that is better. If the OP is big on iTunes TV shows and movies, then obviously the Classic is for them. If not, and they want to try something new, nothing's wrong with offering an alternative option. In my opinion/experience the Classic's a waste of money when you can have something better.

And the insults keep rolling in. Ripping one's own DVDs is classed the same as ripping one's own CDs - they're both illegal. I'm sure you've "stolen" a lot of music as I have stolen videos off my DVDs. You thief, you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The software sucks though.

Out of interest, do you mean the 1st gen software (shudder) or 2nd/3rd gen?
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    The OP asked about iPods. Why has the Zune been bought into the thread?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ricardo and Jammers in shock agreement thread! Careful, you'll be lectured at :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Read this topic, then go to the 3rd post down
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1096251
    Forum Member

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your wasting your time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member

Uh-oh

Oh well, I still stand by it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you have a stutter? Why is it wrong to recommend a better product?

If the topic was in anticipation of a new iPod touch, I'd hold my tongue, but this is the Classic...

From a non-denominational, you Apple guys are wayyy overprotective.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the topic was in anticipation of a new iPod touch, I'd hold my tongue, but this is the Classic...

Which is better than the Zune so meh.
    Forum Member

Because the OP was clearly and solely asking about the iPod range. Nothing else. iPod range. He specifically did NOT ask for information on any other range of digital music player. The OP actually said "I was wondering if anyone had any info on any the new range of iPods??". Instead of helping him, you decided it would be a much better idea to talk about the Zune range. How constructive. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the OP was clearly and solely asking about the iPod range. Nothing else. iPod range. He specifically did NOT ask for information on any other range of digital music player. The OP actually said "I was wondering if anyone had any info on any the new range of iPods??". Instead of helping him, you decided it would be a much better idea to talk about the Zune range. How constructive. :rolleyes:

I talked about a model that happens to be better than the model they mentioned, and said they could check it out. If not then no harm done. I'd like someone to tell me if there's a better product than the one I'm looking at, and the advantage of these forums is that people here do just that.

It's not my fault someone latched onto this and decided to suggest something is better than the Classic is an outrage. :eek:

Since you're analysing what people have said, where exactly has jammers addressed the topic? I only see childish insults suggesting he jammed his manhood in something years ago and hasn't grown up yet.

Either way, it's for the OP to decide.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

are you sure that Zunes are nicer and have a better UI and software?

i was always under the impression that iPods had been the success they are largely down to them being the best looking players on the market, and having the best UI and software.

as for the new iPods - i think the main thing is they're likely to add cameras to them.

and iTunes is looking like having some social networking functionality added, but not sure what it'll involve exactly.

Iain
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, do you mean the 1st gen software (shudder) or 2nd/3rd gen?

what was that second video supposed to be showing?

Iain
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion the Zune is better than the iPod Classic but the iPod Touch will always be far superior.

The Classic is nothing more than a bog standard mp3, wait no AAC, player. The screen gets easily damaged and ruins any movie watching. If i had a choice i wouldn't be buying one.

However, if the OP wants an iPod classic so be it:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @ Ian

If Apple added cameras to all its iPods as standard, that would be an awesome feature. Camera in a nano? Nifty.

2nd video shows what happens in the Zune software when you play albums by certain artists. The player goes into a slideshow mode with artist pictures.

iPods were first on the scene with a desirable mp3 player and an online media store. Many people don't know anything else. Doesn't mean no-one can add to and improve on them.

Zune software has a social network. I have a profile that updates my most played (from PC software, as well as updating from device). There's a friend bit in the software where you can see what friends have played recently etc. People who buy the subscription (not available in UK yet) can have automatic playlists that downloads friends' recently played music.

@CoolboyA

Yes! That's all I've been arguing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you buy an ipod in america can you use it in uk? just like you could if you bought one here?

just that i think it works out a bit cheaper there and im going on holiday in october
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    You'd need a US->UK mains adapter

Apart from that it should work
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    !J! wrote: »
    if you buy an ipod in america can you use it in uk? just like you could if you bought one here?

just that i think it works out a bit cheaper there and im going on holiday in october

Will work fine, it will come with a US plug rather than UK you can charge it through USB fine.