Are We 'Winning' The War In Afghanistan??

MetalManMetalMan Posts: 939
Forum Member
✭✭
Are we the British and Americans 'winning' the war in Afghanistan as we are predicted to be??

It's just interesting as we have deadlines to meet as regards to handing over power to the Afghan security forces and I'm wondering if we're meeting those deadlines? We have a target of 2014 to do it by.

We've lost 346 troops so far, plus all the billions and billions of pounds spent so I'm kinda hoping this is all worth it.

Are we kicking the talibans butt out there at the moment as we're hyped up to be?

Just curious.

Comments

• mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No...
  • chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, we aren't 'winning'. It's just gorilla warfare now. We haven't eliminated the taliban, just made them wait it out.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    chiller15 wrote: »
    It's just gorilla warfare now.

We'll probably have to invade Orangutan next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where have you read this 'hype'?
  • chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    We'll probably have to invade Orangutan next.
    Then onto the Capuchin isles. (It was an unconsious typo!)
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    The entire mission is and has been a pointless waste of lives and money.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are we even there?

This war is one i dont understand at all.
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be winning we'd have to have a clear idea of what we were doing there, how we were going to achieve that and defined long term goals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all they seem to be doing is creating more Taliban as the normal people join to get rid of the invading armies.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chiller15 wrote: »
    It's just gorilla warfare now.

"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Its not a war, the yanks call it a war as an excuse to pillage the valuable minerals from the country. The correct term would be robbery at gunpoint.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    Its not a war, the yanks call it a war as an excuse to pillage the valuable minerals from the country. The correct term would be robbery at gunpoint.

You call it robbery I call it a violent rape.
  • MetalManMetalMan Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But this was Blair/Bush's (and now endorsed by Obama) strategy to defeat the war on terror? We've lost 7000 troops (6000 American) so far so I just want to know how progress is going so far?
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »

What valuable minerals would these be then?

A major part of Afghanistans problem is the lack of natural wealth.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel sure that the Taliban suffer more casualties than us but it's a bit of a stalemate.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Graathus wrote: »
    What valuable minerals would these be then?

A major part of Afghanistans problem is the lack of natural wealth.

Afghanistan has the richest mineral reserves in the world..http://theindustry.yuku.com/topic/3110/t/LARGEST-MINERAL-RESERVE-IN-HISTORY-FOUND-IN-AFGHANISTAN.html

http://100777.com/node/239
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    MetalMan wrote: »
    Are we the British and Americans 'winning' the war in Afghanistan as we are predicted to be??

It's just interesting as we have deadlines to meet as regards to handing over power to the Afghan security forces and I'm wondering if we're meeting those deadlines? We have a target of 2014 to do it by.

We've lost 346 troops so far, plus all the billions and billions of pounds spent so I'm kinda hoping this is all worth it.

Are we kicking the talibans butt out there at the moment as we're hyped up to be?

Just curious.

It doesn't really matter now. The tories are pulling out our troops next year anyhow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Riccy wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter now. The tories are pulling out our troops next year anyhow.

2014 I was told?

Obama was supposed to be but alter that deadline still.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    2014 I was told?

David Cameron eyes 2011 Afghan pullout
    BRITISH Prime Minister David Cameron said yesterday there was "cautious optimism" that British troops could start withdrawing from next year.

Mr Cameron, speaking to reporters at Camp Bastion, the main British base in Helmand province, during a surprise visit to Afghanistan, said the 2011 date to begin pulling out troops was feasible. "I do still think it is possible, but obviously we have got to go on making the progress that we are making," he said in a statement. "In terms of the ground being covered, the amount of public being protected, the training of the Afghan National Army that is ahead of schedule, the Helmand police training centre and also the mood of the Paras and Royal Scots that I met - I think that does give you grounds for cautious optimism that this is going in the right direction."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/david-cameron-eyes-2011-afghan-pullout/story-e6frg6so-1225967218181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it's not been confirmed just possible? A bit like Obama and his 'timetable' until the generals twist his arm on that one.

We'll see.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So it's not been confirmed just possible? A bit like Obama and his 'timetable' until the generals twist his arm on that one.

We'll see.

There could well be a different President in 2014
  • Rawr!Rawr! Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2014 I was told?

Riccy wrote: »

Well done, you're both sort of right. Cameron wants to start pulling out troops in 2011, the plan is for all Brit combat troops to be out of Afghanistan by 2014. Please note the 'combat troops' bit, I expect us to have troops there in some capacity for some time, I certainly expect to be going out there after 2014.

Are we winning? Personally I think we are. I have seen improvements in all aspects of Afghanistan in recent years, yes it's slow progress but that's to be expected really. The papers and the media don't generally report the good work because it doesn't sell papers or get viewers, which is disappointing, but there you go. We have saved a shitload more than we have lost. Some say our losses are too big to justify what we have saved, I find it difficult to put a value on a British life over that of other lives.

I go out there Jan-July next year, it will be my second tour out there, I'll (hopefully, if I get internet access) try to continue to contribute on the topic as best I can while I am out there.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope the whole thing was a waste of lives and money, the sooner we get out the better.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's 'WE', what are we 'winning'. Define your terms....

....Somebody is winning, it's not the general population of the west nor Afghanistan
  • DavidCHDavidCH Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no winning a war it seems. We got rid of the Taliban government and that was enough, we had won at that stage. It seems like a petulant childish argument to claim that subsequent to winning the war something has happened that makes it a loss. I'm sure there are plenty of Muslims on here thinking that the glorious Taliban kicked our a5s and plenty of up their own a5s young Brits who cannot see reality for their big foreheads.