Options

When (and why) did Madonna start to get named the 'Queen of Pop'?

adzieeadziee Posts: 828
Forum Member
✭✭
Wanted to know this for a while..did she always stand out from the crowd? Was it after 2000 that she started to get called that, or was it further back? Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    AdcmAdcm Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know sorry. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even in the 90s she knew how to get attention and once she had that attention, the music was good enough to keep people engrossed.

I would say the queen of pop thing started in th 90's, when to be honest no one really came close. Not that I can remeber anyway.
  • Options
    If_U_Seek_AmyIf_U_Seek_Amy Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told it was because Micheal Jackson was called the King of Pop and so of course there had to be a queen and Madonna was the only suitable choice at the time.
  • Options
    IlleismIlleism Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rolling Stone called her The Queen of Pop in 1985/1986/1987. I'm not sure which one, but it was around the mid-'80s and it has stuck since then. I'm not sure when MJ was called The King, but I assume it was around the same time, after the success of Thriller sank in.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Jackson was called the King Of Pop by Liz Taylor in 1985 after Thriller blew up everywhere and that cuaght on.

Madonna after the success of her debut album, Like A Virgin album blowing up everywhere, the media fascination with her "Madonna Wannabe" craze in culture, her statements and her marriage to Sean Penn which had so many guests (frickin Andy Warhol was there too!!) Rolling Stone and many music magazines labelled her the Queen Of Pop around the time of True Blue as she continued with massive sales, statements, music video impact etc. and it has been a name she has stuck with since and rightfully so. :cool:

It was Like A Prayer album/Blonde AMbition where music critics appreciated her more as an iconic artist rather than a Pop artist however...so that really applied to the title given really.

So yeah....MJ as King Of Pop started as a title around 1985 and Madonna as Queen Of Pop started the same time. Bruce Springsteen was called The Boss around the same time too i think with his massive impact too.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Jackson was called the King Of Pop by Liz Taylor in 1985 after Thriller blew up everywhere and that cuaght on.

Madonna after the success of her debut album, Like A Virgin album blowing up everywhere, the media fascination with her "Madonna Wannabe" craze in culture, her statements and her marriage to Sean Penn which had so many guests (frickin Andy Warhol was there too!!) Rolling Stone and many music magazines labelled her the Queen Of Pop around the time of True Blue as she continued with massive sales, statements, music video impact etc. and it has been a name she has stuck with since and rightfully so. :cool:

It was Like A Prayer album/Blonde AMbition where music critics appreciated her more as an iconic artist rather than a Pop artist however...so that really applied to the title given really.

So yeah....MJ as King Of Pop started as a title around 1985 and Madonna as Queen Of Pop started the same time. Bruce Springsteen was called The Boss around the same time too i think with his massive impact too.

You are wrong about MJ.

MJ was first called the King Of Pop by promoter Don King (most famous for Boxing) when he was promoting the imminent The Jacksons 1984 Victory tour. But as he is notorious for his hyperbole that has been historically ignored for Liz Taylor's "the true King of Pop, Rock, and Soul” quote at the 1989 Soul Train awards show. Thereafter, MJ insisted as a prerequisite for appearances at awards shows, video exclusives, etc that he was called that "King Of Pop" label, which was one of the reasons why his original Off The Wall/Thriller/Bad trilogy producer (Quincy Jones), and his 1980s manager (Frank Di Leo) bailed out of his world because they thought the fame was getting to him.

As for Madonna, it was year end 1985, when firstly Billboard labelled her chart domination of the year (mid Nov1984-mid Nov1985) with the "Queen Of Pop" moniker; indeed from 1985 Smash Hits magazine (which was notorious for giving popstars silly, and sometimes ego bashing nicknames) first labelled her "Her Madgesty" in tribute to Dame Edna Everage's Madge, silent, sour-faced "bridesmaid and travelling companion", after a week of their Saturday night ITV chat show when they did a medley of Into The Groove/Like A Virgin/Material Girl in tribute when beau Sean Penn was a guest; in the aftermath of her brilliant Live Aid performance; which resulted in her album Like A Virgin going to top the UK charts; and Into The Groove & Holiday becoming the top two in the singles charts. (A far cry and stark contrast from her poor performance on Sunday night, and her single currently languishing at #24 on UK iTunes).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they were all named that title at the end of the 80's.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A far cry and stark contrast from her poor performance on Sunday night, and her single currently languishing at #24 on UK iTunes.

Blimey you'd make a brilliant political spin doctor.

IF the Charts Company had not discounted Madonna's freeby singles when her forthcoming album (which broke iTunes records for most ever one day sales), then she would almost certainly have a top 3 single this week. You well know why her single isn't doing as well as hoped, it's got nothing to do with how popular she is now because clearly all the figures of sales, of viewership for the superbowl etc. clearly shows she is still popular.

If you didn't like Sundays Superbowl performance that's your opinion. But you are in a minority.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Blimey you'd make a brilliant political spin doctor.

IF the Charts Company had not discounted Madonna's freeby singles when her forthcoming album (which broke iTunes records for most ever one day sales), then she would almost certainly have a top 3 single this week. You well know why her single isn't doing as well as hoped, it's got nothing to do with how popular she is now because clearly all the figures of sales, of viewership for the superbowl etc. clearly shows she is still popular.

If you didn't like Sundays Superbowl performance that's your opinion. But you are in a minority.

I was underwhelmed having seen her twice in 93 and 06....but I've moaned about it enough elsewhere....just standing alongside maninthequeue
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I was underwhelmed having seen her twice in 93 and 06....but I've moaned about it enough elsewhere....just standing alongside maninthequeue

What would you have done in 12 minutes if you had to make a big impression?
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

now see this confuses me. why on earth would you pay to see her twice, when you was underwhelmed the first time.:confused: as for standing alongside you know who, you do that. it makes no difference. she will continue to sell albums and tour for her fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    now see this confuses me. why on earth would you pay to see her twice, when you was underwhelmed the first time.:confused: as for standing alongside you know who, you do that. it makes no difference. she will continue to sell albums and tour for her fans.

Grammar cock up - I was underwhelmed (by the superbowl) after having seen her at her peak (in 93) and still up there (in 06 - Confessions was AMAZING!)
    I'll be buying the album (both formats) and every single - still a fan!! You can be and still be critical doncha know!
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grammar cock up - I was underwhelmed (by the superbowl) after having seen her at her peak (in 93) and still up there (in 06 - Confessions was AMAZING!)
    I'll be buying the album (both formats) and every single - still a fan!! You can be and still be critical doncha know!

Exactly, I can't stand the new single and there's a lot of stuff of hers I don't like, just because we aren't sycophants doesn't mean we ain't fans:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i am objective, my posts are proof of that. however, there is line between being objective and just jumping on the negative bandwagon.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why must it be a BIG impression? Get rid of the LMFAO goons, and Bingo from The Banana Splits for starters. Madonna was struggling to keep up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    Exactly, I can't stand the new single and there's a lot of stuff of hers I don't like, just because we aren't sycophants doesn't mean we ain't fans:)

Someone said to me today that the new song is way too commercial and the video looks like Interscope are turning Madonna into their puppet! I think there's an element of truth in it. Seems they're using Madonna to showcase not just her but their other artists as well. I just wonder if Madonna will let them do it again. She's not one to like being controlled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i am objective, my posts are proof of that. however, there is line between being objective and just jumping on the negative bandwagon.

I'm not on any bandwagon - just speaking my mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why must it be a BIG impression? Get rid of the LMFAO goons, and Bingo from The Banana Splits for starters. Madonna was struggling to keep up.

She has been struggling to make a big impact in America since she slagged them off in American Life era.

This superbowl was about introducing herself again to the Americans. It seems to have worked. That's why it had to be a BIG impression.

I don't think Madonna struggled to keep up. I think she looked a little uncomfortable. It was so obviously controlled by her record company and therefore easier for her record company to supply their artists as dancers rather than madonna to recruit her own for a 12 minute stint!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not on any bandwagon - just speaking my mind.

that is fine and that is your prerogative. although, i would suggest you stick to buying her music in future and not bother attending her shows if that`s how you honestly feel. at least you saw her at her peak in your opinion.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You didn't know about her hamstring injury then? She's 53 for god's sake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lets see if any of her albums sell double digit this decade like it did in the 2000's with music and confessions on a dance floor
  • Options
    BoobobBoobob Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    You didn't know about her hamstring injury then? She's 53 for god's sake.

And wearing 6 inch heels and dancing on steps LOL, the woman never gets a break, like you say she's 53 i think people forget that. I'd be happy if I was moving half as good as her when i'm her age.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Avoiding lip-synching would have been a good start.

And avoiding guest performers. FFS she's Madonna "The Queen Of Pop" with a back catalogue of songs second only to the Beatles, that is left to speak for themselves, and don't need a third rate Lisa Left Eye Lopes tribute act and Quincy Jones' offspring stinking up the joint. It would be the equivalent of Paul McCartney miming to his own songs and being joined on stage by Jessie J & Jedward at the forthcoming Queen's Jubilee Concert.

As for the set, it's as if she had seen Kylie's last tour, and thought "ooh I love her Ancient Greek set, that's a great idea, I know I'll get the designers to change it to an Ancient Roman set, and no one will notice."

She's proved time and time again why she has been so successful is because ultimately, behind the gimmicks, and the controversially, she has nearly always come up with great killer songs, and backed up with great performances, and until the Hard Candy era always stayed one step ahead of the "MadonnaB's" (copyright The Sun newspaper 1988).

With brilliant live performances such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzAnKiIQSv8
    Madonna - Holiday & Into The Groove (Live Aid 1985)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIu5A-lOpZk
    Madonna - Crazy For You (Live 1985)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHLz3YTCeP8
    Madonna - La Isla Bonitta (Live in Italy 1987)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkGrjC8hZhk
    Madonna - Papa Don't Preach (Live 1990)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuzEV9AAnMg
    Madonna - Vogue (Live 1993)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGgQJf4GrhY
    Madonna - You Must Love Me (The Oscars Live 1997)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgBFnFbwkIU
    Madonna - Ray Of Light (Live 2001)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pevumPSC2M
    Madonna - Music (Live 8 2005)

To me the obvious thing would have been to replicate the template perfected by Prince (who took inspiration from Queen's 1985 Live Aid performance) when he came up with this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6skxDKz7p0
    Prince - Purple Medley

I.E. Stuff as many bits of your old songs hooks into an 11 minute medley as possible so converting the younger generation of Rihanna, Gaga; Katy Perry; Ke$ha; Britney... fans whilst incorporating a longer section of your new single in the live performance mix.

Sorry, lip-synching at a major live event might be OK for fans of Britney Spears; Janet Jackson; Cheryl Cole; etc. But for Madonna that was simply unacceptable because in the past her singing and dancing have been so much better, than that excuse for a performance on Sunday night.That performance would have been acceptable for a VMA, but for an live outdoor event it was not, unless I've missed the memo that Milli Vanilli are now regarded as innovators of live concert performances.

If you honestly think Madonna's performance on Sunday night is better than any of these great examples of Madonna singing (in most cases when dancing) live in the past three decades; and was better now than what the likes of P!nk; Beyonce; Lady Gaga & (the best live female performer around today) Janelle Monáe can do now; then quite frankly you are either as deluded as a lot of MJ fans; or I really pity for you accepting a second rate performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    that is fine and that is your prerogative. although, i would suggest you stick to buying her music in future and not bother attending her shows if that`s how you honestly feel. at least you saw her at her peak in your opinion.

Thanks for your suggestion - I'm not planning on attending this tour - at least until I hear the album. I didn't bother with S&S as I wasn't bowled over by Hard Candy.
    You seriously think she's yet to peak in her live shows?? May I suggest you're in serious denial?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you honestly think Madonna's performance on Sunday night is better than any of these great examples of Madonna singing (in most cases when dancing) live in the past three decades; and was better now than what the likes of P!nk; Beyonce; Lady Gaga & (the best live female performer around today) Janelle Monáe can do now; then quite frankly you are either as deluded as a lot of MJ fans; or I really pity for you accepting a second rate performance.

opinion is one thing, however, i feel you have once again crossed the line here though. frankly, its extremely patronising and condescending in all honesty. its like you honestly believe that you are of the only opinion that matters. there will always be fans of mj and madonna, they will continue to rank as two of the greats.