Back To Camelot: Merlin Series 1 discussion thread (beginning Saturday 5th January)

Comments

• NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to re-do this list. I'll try and come up with a simplified one tonight. Smint can have all the detailed bits for her bingo cards. ;)
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to re-do this list. I'll try and come up with a simplified one tonight. Smint can have all the detailed bits for her bingo cards. ;)

I think there was a fair amount of Bradley James shirtlessness at the start, wasn't there?

Erm, I am now OUT on Saturday night - damn my social life! It's not likely to happen again but I will post when I can. I may watch it earlier in the day, record all the drinks I should be taking, and then cross them off while I'm at dinner. May well find myself under the table!
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    We can upgrade that to 'every time Morgana and Morgaue act less than sisterly and omg how did the director let that carry on?!' for series three :D

Also series 1 so the girls get some drinking time...

Every time:
    Morgana tells Arthur to do something and he just does it with a bit of a fuss but little persuasion
    Morgana gets to wear more than one dress an episode
    Gwen or Morgana scoff at the idea of liking Arthur
    Gwen is accused of sorcery
    Morgana verbal bitch slaps Uther for his tyrannical ways
    Gwen flirts with Merlin and he doesn't notice

and as a bonus...

Gaius gives someone a sleeping potion (seriously I swear that's the only one he knows!)

I love all the scenes where Morgana tells Arthur to do something and he just does :D Do as your told man ;)
    Smint wrote: »
    I think there was a fair amount of Bradley James shirtlessness at the start, wasn't there?

Erm, I am now OUT on Saturday night - damn my social life! It's not likely to happen again but I will post when I can. I may watch it earlier in the day, record all the drinks I should be taking, and then cross them off while I'm at dinner. May well find myself under the table!

Or dancing on top of it :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    Or dancing on top of it :p

Always a possibility! :D

Right, here's a list of previous suggestions plus a few more I've added - I suggest that for the Bingo, people pick any 16 at random and either cross them off or combine them with the drinking game - or you can make up your own Bingo card! :D

(In spoilers as the list is long!)
    1. The Dragon lies to Merlin
    2. Someone talks about the great kingdom Merlin and Arthur will build/says Arthur will create Albion
    3. The guards fail at guarding
    4. Merlin accidentally discovers someone using magic
    5. Merlin asks the dragon for advice but then ignores him
    6. Gaius tells Merlin not to do something but Merlin does it anyway
    7. Gaius says "soss-ery"
    8. Uther says "It is/must be sorcery/magic"
    9. Uther says sorcerers can't be trusted/they all want to destroy the kingdom
    10. Uther or Arthur have a different crown to the last one they wore
    11. Arthur calls Merlin an idiot or incompetent/the worst servant
    12. Merlin calls Arthur arrogant or conceited
    13. Arthur throws something at or hits Merlin
    14. Arthur is knocked out or otherwise rendered unconscious so that Merlin can do magic
    15. They make camp
    16. There is shirtlessness
    17. Every time Merlin uses magic to save Arthur
    18. Every time Merlin uses magic but Arthur doesn't notice
    19. Every time Gaius, mislead, tells a half-truth, or lies
    20. Morgana tells Arthur to do something and he just does it with a bit of a fuss but little persuasion
    21. Morgana gets to wear more than one dress an episode
    22. Gwen or Morgana scoff at the idea of liking Arthur
    23. Gwen is accused of sorcery
    24. Morgana verbal bitch slaps Uther for his tyrannical ways
    25. Gwen flirts with Merlin and he doesn't notice
    26. Gaius gives someone a sleeping potion
    27. Inappropriate flirting
    28. Everything back to the same as it was at the start
    29. Someone lying down/ill
    30. A falling object crushes an enemy
    31. A stranger arrives in Camelot
    32. A ridiculous amount of food is served per person
    33. Magic sends someone flying through the air
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always a possibility! :D

Way more fun than being under it I think... Although I suppose that depends on who your under it with :p
    Right, here's a list of previous suggestions plus a few more I've added - I suggest that for the Bingo, people pick any 16 at random and either cross them off or combine them with the drinking game - or you can make up your own Bingo card! :D

(In spoilers as the list is long!)
    1. The Dragon lies to Merlin
    2. Someone talks about the great kingdom Merlin and Arthur will build/says Arthur will create Albion
    3. The guards fail at guarding
    4. Merlin accidentally discovers someone using magic
    5. Merlin asks the dragon for advice but then ignores him
    6. Gaius tells Merlin not to do something but Merlin does it anyway
    7. Gaius says "soss-ery"
    8. Uther says "It is/must be sorcery/magic"
    9. Uther says sorcerers can't be trusted/they all want to destroy the kingdom
    10. Uther or Arthur have a different crown to the last one they wore
    11. Arthur calls Merlin an idiot or incompetent/the worst servant
    12. Merlin calls Arthur arrogant or conceited
    13. Arthur throws something at or hits Merlin
    14. Arthur is knocked out or otherwise rendered unconscious so that Merlin can do magic
    15. They make camp
    16. There is shirtlessness
    17. Every time Merlin uses magic to save Arthur
    18. Every time Merlin uses magic but Arthur doesn't notice
    19. Every time Gaius, mislead, tells a half-truth, or lies
    20. Morgana tells Arthur to do something and he just does it with a bit of a fuss but little persuasion
    21. Morgana gets to wear more than one dress an episode
    22. Gwen or Morgana scoff at the idea of liking Arthur
    23. Gwen is accused of sorcery
    24. Morgana verbal bitch slaps Uther for his tyrannical ways
    25. Gwen flirts with Merlin and he doesn't notice
    26. Gaius gives someone a sleeping potion
    27. Inappropriate flirting
    28. Everything back to the same as it was at the start
    29. Someone lying down/ill
    30. A falling object crushes an enemy
    31. A stranger arrives in Camelot
    32. A ridiculous amount of food is served per person

Bloody hell we are all going to be too hammered to come online and comment :p
    If I remember rightly I think pretty much everything in that list happens in the first episode :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Smint, number 3 is very good – was there EVER an episode where the guards actually did their job? Also add in 'Gwen wears cleavage revealing dress'. And 'magic sends someone flying through the air'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orion wrote: »
    Smint, number 3 is very good – was there EVER an episode where the guards actually did their job? Also add in 'Gwen wears cleavage revealing dress'. And 'magic sends someone flying through the air'.

That isn't until series 5... we can have a new list for series 5 :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orion wrote: »

Added the last one - but I think star89 is right - the cleavage only really began in the last series :D
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Added the last one - but I think star89 is right - the cleavage only really began in the last series :D
    No!:mad: As any MAN would know, Gwen's cleavage started becoming prominent in S4! :rolleyes: S4x01 at 05:00! :o And became moreso by S5!:D
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love all the scenes where Morgana tells Arthur to do something and he just does :D Do as your told man ;)

He had a moan and rolled his eyes and made a fuss and then...did it anyway. She so had him wrapped around her little finger :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    No!:mad: As any MAN would know, Gwen's cleavage started becoming prominent in S4! :rolleyes: S4x01 at 05:00! :o And became moreso by S5!:D

Well, WHEN we get to Series 4, we can add it to the list! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I'm ashamed! I should have remembered that clot pole belongs in the Series 2 thread.

*hangs head in shame*

Natarhi, will you be in charge of putting together the definitive Series 1 list?

Dollop head needs to be added with clot pole.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I stand corrected. As a straight female my eyes are not really drawn to the heaving chests of the woman so I wouldn't be an expert on what episode it started :D
    claire2281 wrote: »
    He had a moan and rolled his eyes and made a fuss and then...did it anyway. She so had him wrapped around her little finger :D

Most men should really take hint. If we tell you to do something you might aswel save time and just do it because after the wasted time arguing and moaning you know dam well your going to end up doing it anyway ;):p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stand corrected. As a straight female my eyes are not really drawn to the heaving chests of the woman so I wouldn't be an expert on what episode it started :D
    Well, we must get those facts straight in the game. BTW, Morgana's chest doesn't start heaving until 11:00 into S4x03. And I swear, that's what has got Aggy's attention!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we must get those facts straight in the game. BTW, Morgana's chest doesn't start heaving until 11:00 into S4x03. And I swear, that's what has got Aggy's attention!

I think a beautiful woman flitting around in a tight corset would get every mans attention ;)
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah that is why we need you on this board, Mike. You have a man's attention to detail. :D

Re Smint's 32 point list: bloody hell, we will all be under the table 5 minutes in and unable to take note of the rest of the episode. I think we ought to mark each episode according to how many items on the list each contains. The episode with the most items is awarded a prize which we will send to Capps and Murphy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Ah that is why we need you on this board, Mike. You have a man's attention to detail. :D

Re Smint's 32 point list: bloody hell, we will all be under the table 5 minutes in and unable to take note of the rest of the episode. I think we ought to mark each episode according to how many items on the list each contains. The episode with the most items is awarded a prize which we will send to Capps and Murphy.

Im not sure if any of us are going to be conscious to come and comment on the episode, let alone organize a marked list and prize for TPTB :p
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've possibly thought of another one to add to the drinking game list. All the villains in Merlin seem to wear black or dark clothing (I'm sure someone will find an exception somewhere). Like as soon as Morgana turned evil - she wore black. When Mordred went back to Morgana - he wore dark clothes again. Evil uncle Agravaine - wore black. Helios - wore black. That's how I couldn't understand why Arthur didn't know Agravaine was evil - he wore black and no-one else in Camelot did, wasn't it obvious?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've possibly thought of another one to add to the drinking game list. All the villains in Merlin seem to wear black or dark clothing (I'm sure someone will find an exception somewhere). Like as soon as Morgana turned evil - she wore black. When Mordred went back to Morgana - he wore dark clothes again. Evil uncle Agravaine - wore black. Helios - wore black. That's how I couldn't understand why Arthur didn't know Agravaine was evil - he wore black and no-one else in Camelot did, wasn't it obvious?!
    Doesn't work in the earlier Series. :( Uther wore grey! :D Then, again... :o

Schedule for BBC Merlin programmes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mjlxv/broadcasts/upcoming

I'll be Huluing it in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Public health warning:

Smint's list is for the Merlin Bingo only. Please note that it is inadvisable to use that list as a drinking game as it may well lead to drunken & disorderly behaviour, alcohol poisoning and/or death.

:p

Just felt I should put that out there. Don't want star and Avi rounding on me with accusations when they end up getting their stomachs pumped. ;) Will now work on the simplified drinking game list...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so the first list got a little out of hand, :eek: and after reading MrsGeneHunt's suggestions I realised that drinking games work best when they are clear and simple. (Probably because you can keep track even when you start getting tipsy. ;)) With that in mind I've re-done my plan. I tried to get something for all the characters without the list getting too long, again let me know if you think there should be any changes:

The (New!) Merlin Rewatch Drinking Game!
    Take a drink every time:
    *Someone mentions Merlin and/or Arthur's destiny
    *The guards fail at guarding
    *Uther blames magic/sorcery
    *Morgana tells Arthur to do something and he complains but does it anyway
    *Arthur and Morgana flirt inappropriately
    *Gwen flirts with Merlin and he doesn't notice
    *Merlin uses magic to save Arthur

I think those are general enough that we should be able to get in a good few drinks per episode, without also being in danger of liver failure. :D

Like I say, in my memory of it there's not very much at all. I could be wrong though, it has been known to happen before (albeit very very rarely :p)
    I'm out on Saturday but will be back in time for the discussion, will have to watch the episode in the morning though. Sadly I will not be able to play the drinking game this week :( (will do bingo though). I might record the drinks as well and double up next week. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent! So just to reiterate, Natarhi's list is for the drinking game (bottoms up, chaps!) and Smint's is for the Bingo (I like Avi's suggestion of ticking them off each episode and seeing which ep contains the most). Can't wait!!
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As I recall it, the Bradley shirtlessness was at its most rampant in S3. I don't think he took his shirt off in S1 - well, not until ep13 anyway. It didn't matter in those days because he always sported a sexy jacket, or the famous brown coat in those days, instead of the horrid chainmail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    Ok, so the first list got a little out of hand, :eek: and after reading MrsGeneHunt's suggestions I realised that drinking games work best when they are clear and simple. (Probably because you can keep track even when you start getting tipsy. ;)) With that in mind I've re-done my plan. I tried to get something for all the characters without the list getting too long, again let me know if you think there should be any changes:

The (New!) Merlin Rewatch Drinking Game!
    Take a drink every time:
    *Someone mentions Merlin and/or Arthur's destiny
    *The guards fail at guarding

*Uther blames magic/sorcery
    *Morgana tells Arthur to do something and he complains but does it anyway
    *Arthur and Morgana flirt inappropriately
    *Gwen flirts with Merlin and he doesn't notice
    *Merlin uses magic to save Arthur

I think those are general enough that we should be able to get in a good few drinks per episode, without also being in danger of liver failure. :D

Like I say, in my memory of it there's not very much at all. I could be wrong though, it has been known to happen before (albeit very very rarely :p)
    I'm out on Saturday but will be back in time for the discussion, will have to watch the episode in the morning though. Sadly I will not be able to play the drinking game this week :( (will do bingo though). I might record the drinks as well and double up next week. :cool:

Are you kidding me :eek: We'l need our livers pumped after those BIB alone :p
    Excellent! So just to reiterate, Natarhi's list is for the drinking game (bottoms up, chaps!) and Smint's is for the Bingo (I like Avi's suggestion of ticking them off each episode and seeing which ep contains the most). Can't wait!!

I might play Smint's drinking game, just to see how much of it I can do before passing out :p
    If I suddenly disappear from posting then please do worry about me :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might play Smint's drinking game, just to see how much of it I can do before passing out :p
    If I suddenly disappear from posting then please do worry about me :eek:
    Honestly did you not take any notice of my public health warning?? :rolleyes: I'll be ready to send out a search party, but don't blame me when you wake up in hospital or police custody (or both!) come Sunday morning. :p;)
    I think I'm going to do proper Bingo (pick 16 things at random from Smint's list and see how many episodes it takes to get them all). I will post my selected list once I have it so that it can be verified by you lot. :) I'll be interested to see which episode ends up scoring the most though.
    Avi8 wrote: »
    As I recall it, the Bradley shirtlessness was at its most rampant in S3. I don't think he took his shirt off in S1 - well, not until ep13 anyway. It didn't matter in those days because he always sported a sexy jacket, or the famous brown coat in those days, instead of the horrid chainmail.
    I still vote S2 as having the most occasions of Bradley being shirtless. From S3 the knights started joining in (no bad thing :D) so it wasn't him all the time. I think we will have to keep a tally from S2 onwards. Purely in the interest of proper statistics of course. ;)