Kimberley Walsh's bad singing performance on NTA last night

Comments

• TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad to see this thead as I thought it was just me that thought she was terrible.

How on earth did she manage in a West End show? I would have thought she would have been more than used to performing in front of crowds I know solo is a bit different from being part of a group but still it was shocking.

If she knew she would struggle with the song then surely there must have been another on her album that would have been suitable or even surely in rehearsal someone maybe could have thought to say that maybe that song wasn't the best idea and to go with a different song.

Certainly not planning on rushing to buy the album anytime soon.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    It was shocking, I didn't realise how bad she was. I knew Cheryl was bad but Kimberley was equally as bad and to choose to sing that song, ridiculous.

The beautiful and hugely talented Ella Henderson showed her how it was done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Well, as Kimberley had eight months experience singing in the West End musical (never mind all the Girls Aloud tours, appearances etc before live audiences etc) I think it is totally ridiculous that she let nerves get the best of her for the NTA, the other girls Ella (?) from X factor did a professional job, with little stage experience, compared to Kimberley.

Agreed. Kimberley has been in the business for ten years, she's sung on TV many times before, in the West End - why should we all be going 'aah, poor love, it's NERVES' now? Makes her sound like a 5 yo in a nativity play getting their lines wrong.
  • pikeurpikeur Posts: 1,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact it was her first live SOLO performance on TV that got her and she probably knew people were just waiting in the wings to slate her, i would say thats where the nerves came from.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    then came Ella Henderson, captive audience , performed fantastically and rapturous applause.

Agreed. Ella was *way* too good for X Factor - she's an amazing musician. I hope she goes far and manages to keep her feet on the ground, because talent like that doesn't come along very often.
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    she hacked at and murdered a lovely song, it was dreadful.

At least when she mimes it will be obvious, although Lord knows who any record producer could tinker enough to make her sound in tune:eek:

Absolutely. The song originally was recorded by jazz vocalist Randy Crawford. Kimberley is no jazz singer, her version is too syrupy sweet and the record has too much orchestral lah-di-dah on it. This song needs only sparse instrumental backing, behind the vocals not on a par with, or trying to drown out, the vocals.

Kimberley takes all of the feeling out of it in my opnion. If she wants to go solo she should become a burlesque dancer rather than a singer. She should take Dita as a role model not whoever it is she's tryiing to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Sadly this is why I won't be getting her album, I thought her voice was too weak for these type of songs.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her but she should stick to acting or modelling. Why does she need to sing anyway? She has truly amazing figure, beautiful woman. Men would do anything to sleep with her.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was shockingly bad, I was so mortified for her. :oShe murdered that gorgeous song..it was horrendous:eek:
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    I like her but she should stick to acting or modelling. Why does she need to sing anyway? She has truly amazing figure, beautiful woman. Men would do anything to sleep with her.

Except listen to her sing.;)
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buster65 wrote: »
    I agree, people are greatly over-exaggerating about how bad it was. It was clear she was suffering from nerves. I saw her in Shrek and she can sing and carry the musical theatre songs without problem. Nerves got the better of her and the performance suffered due to that. All these arm chair vocalists would never suffer from something as trivial as that however would they? ;)

No, because we wouldn't embarrass ourselves by trying to sing in front of such a huge audience. If she wants to be a successful solo singer then she's fallen at the first hurdle - the best international singers don't let nerves ruin their performances :p
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pikeur wrote: »
    I think the fact it was her first live SOLO performance on TV that got her and she probably knew people were just waiting in the wings to slate her, i would say thats where the nerves came from.
    It isn't. To audition for Girls Aloud she had to sing live, solo each week. She wasn't much cop then either, but that was OK, because it was to be just one member of a girl group. She has a pleasant enough recorded voice, and when stitched together with the other girls, it works.

A few nerves might be expected to creep in at the start, but if she was actually a decent singer, she'd have got over them as she got going. Unfortunately, she couldn't properly ditch the nerves because she knew she was struggling. She's had similar problems with "nerves" when she sings live as part of a group, or when she's done duets etc.

She seems a nice enough girl, but she's not a very good live singer, and doesn't have the power/range for a solo career.

She did OK in Shrek, but that part was not a big sing, and there was a lot of singing/acting to make her more comfortable. She might manage another, carefully chosen, musical theatre role, but she's probably best sticking to being a celebrity, and maybe the odd guest vocalist job and Girls Aloud reunion.
  • VideoNiceyVideoNicey Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I read somewhere that she was a school bully. Says a lot, doesn't it :mad:
  • PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It isn't. To audition for Girls Aloud she had to sing live, solo each week. She wasn't much cop then either, but that was OK, because it was to be just one member of a girl group. She has a pleasant enough recorded voice, and when stitched together with the other girls, it works.

A few nerves might be expected to creep in at the start, but if she was actually a decent singer, she'd have got over them as she got going. Unfortunately, she couldn't properly ditch the nerves because she knew she was struggling. She's had similar problems with "nerves" when she sings live as part of a group, or when she's done duets etc.

She seems a nice enough girl, but she's not a very good live singer, and doesn't have the power/range for a solo career.

She did OK in Shrek, but that part was not a big sing, and there was a lot of singing/acting to make her more comfortable. She might manage another, carefully chosen, musical theatre role, but she's probably best sticking to being a celebrity, and maybe the odd guest vocalist job and Girls Aloud reunion.

Agree! I am a fan of Girls Aloud, but on Popstars the Rivals Kimberley really was quite poor, though not as bad as Cheryl. Personally I don't know why everyone is so shocked, anyone with any knowledge of Girls Aloud knows that both Kimberley and Cheryl are pretty poor singers. In my opinion this performance didn't sound any worse than any of Kimberley's normal performances, it was a typical performance from her. I like Kimberley and she has always seemed a nice girl, but a good singer she is not. She would make a good television presenter though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    School bully ?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VideoNicey wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere that she was a school bully. Says a lot, doesn't it :mad:

It says that you appear to believe everything you read. Anyone who dislikes a celebrity can make up things about them online.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I remember vividly Nadine Coyle 'singling' live during the Stephen Gately tribute show in 2010. She was absolutely awful. Out of tune - just embarrassingly bad.

How the hell did that group of tone deaf women win a singing constest?

I assume they wore very little clothing when they were 'singing' to get the votes?

It's a joke that any of them judge the singing talents of anyone else.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    They were all bloody awful for heaven's sake! What the frig to do you expect from a put-together-group? At least Cole has a personality though and she has had the foresight to diversify via her personality. The same for Sarah Harding.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kimberley's speaking voice is horrible (let alone her singing voice). Reminds me of Mel B.
    Both beautiful women until they open their mouths.
  • AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I like Kimberley too. Didn't see last night's performance so can't judge. Could have been nerves. At least she did it live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I remember vividly Nadine Coyle 'singling' live during the Stephen Gately tribute show in 2010. She was absolutely awful. Out of tune - just embarrassingly bad.

I assume they wore very little clothing when they were 'singing' to get the votes?

Nadine Coyle does have a good voice, and she sounded good on Popstars, you can find videos on YouTube (and none of them were wearing very little clothing, contestants were dressed very normally back then.)
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »

Did you watch PSTR? The girls were embarrassingly bad most weeks. The boys were head and shoulders above them, week in, week out. Most people watching the show thought the girls would sink without trace and the boys would last. Just shows what a difference song choice, image and a manager not stuck in the 80's can make.
  • fynefunfynefun Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    she spoke about it on loose women the other day... about how there was technical issues and she couldnt hear the music.....maybe just meant that her lip synch machine broke down
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Did you watch PSTR? The girls were embarrassingly bad most weeks. The boys were head and shoulders above them, week in, week out. Most people watching the show thought the girls would sink without trace and the boys would last. Just shows what a difference song choice, image and a manager not stuck in the 80's can make.

I can't remember what I was watching but I saw clips of the PS:TR live shows on a programme recently and I was shocked at how bad the contestants sounded! The must have sounded fine to me as a child when it was originally on because I thought they were great, but now... they wouldn't get past the first audition on X Factor, and that's saying something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i forgot how bad she was when i watched it..dont like the song anyway