Degus

metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
Probably going to be getting a pair of Degu for Christmas for my children. Do any of you have them, are they good pets? Easy to keep? If you take them out their cage do they just bugger off in an ill advised bid for freedom?

Comments

• SaylemSaylem Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Degus are fabulous animals but make sure you do lots of research before you get them. How old are your children? Degus aren't really fond of being held, they like to run around and do their own thing. They have specific dietary requirements and can become diabetic if fed too much sugar. They also need very large metal cages (bigger than those you will find in Pets At Home etc). They will quickly chew through a plastic cage. They need out of cage exercise too but will chew any wires they may find! Make sure you provide wood for them to chew on to keep their teeth worn down. They also need sand baths to clean their fur (it's lovely to watch them roll around!). Their tails can "de-glove" if pulled so never pick a degu up by the tail. They're lovely, vocal, intelligent animals! Sometimes they can nip you but i've heard they do this to "taste" you, especially the young ones and if your hands smell of food!

On a side note, I don't agree with giving pets as Christmas presents, maybe wait until after Christmas when you've had a chance to do your research into these fascinating creatures?
  • metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply Saylem. We did do a lot of research so we knew what we were getting, was just wondering if any DSers had personal experience of them.

My daughter has been asking for a hamster for a long time, but they're always asleep during the day when you see them in the pet shop, whereas the degus being diurnal seems like a better idea.

Anyway we got two and the kids love them, so do I. We got a very big cage. As to disagreeing about getting pets for christmas, I know what you mean but we're very responsible people and no fully what keeping pets entails (have had several dogs, cats and chickens in the past, and still have 20 odd tropical fish)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Aw lucky you. Enjoy them. I love degus, they are gorgeous wee souls.
  • SaylemSaylem Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Nice to hear back from you Metanoia :) Hope your new additions are settling in well! Apologies if my post caused any offence - working in animal rescue has made me a little cynical :( There are folks out there who buy pets with special requirements on a whim, realise they can't care for them properly and then the animals end up in rescue centres. If only everyone were sensible enough to do their research!

Enjoy your degus! :D