Options

Whatever happened to the new BBC1 daytime schedule we were promised?

yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Whatever happened to the new BBC One daytime schedule we were promised? The schedule without all the property, cheap "follow a group of people" documentary series and antique shows? The only change was the addition of some new drama. I thought "Homes Under The Hammer" had been cancelled but its still there? Will the BBC ever gives us a revamped daytime schedule will a bit of variety. How about a "Pebble Mill/Daytime Live" type Show? This would easily fit in the schedule after Doctors.

Any more ideas whats missing from BBC One daytime?

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why they announced the changes anyway. Most shows get over a million viewers and I can't imagine Homes Under The Hammer and the antique shows costing that much (in the scheme of things) to produce or buy
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the new BBC One daytime schedule we were promised? The schedule without all the property, cheap "follow a group of people" documentary series and antique shows? The only change was the addition of some new drama. I thought "Homes Under The Hammer" had been cancelled but its still there? Will the BBC ever gives us a revamped daytime schedule will a bit of variety. How about a "Pebble Mill/Daytime Live" type Show? This would easily fit in the schedule after Doctors.

If they launched a Pebble Mill / Daytime Live now they would be accused of stepping on the toes of the commercial sector such as ITV who have a day full of magazine chat shows it would not matter if it was better they would be told not to do it.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were these changes proposed before DQF?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I recall, originally, pre-DQF, the promised changes did NOT extend to the "follow a group of people" documentary series", the criticisms were aimed mainly at the property/antique shows, and the BBC Trust wanted more distinctive programming.
    BBC Daytime has announced plans to increase its hours of factual programming and UK-produced drama in response to recent criticism from the BBC Trust.

In July, the BBC's governing body called on the corporation to move away from daytime programmes that viewers perceive to "lack quality and originality".

Particular criticism was levelled at the amount of property and collectibles shows in the daytime schedule on BBC One and BBC Two.

BBC Daytime controller Liam Keelan has today unveiled a raft of original factual and drama commissions as part of nearly 100 hours of new content to air over the next year.

The announcement is part of Daytime's "ongoing commitment to bring its viewers more distinctive and original programming", which has seen a 140% increase in its consumer and current affairs shows over the last 12 months, including Rip Off Britain and The Estate We're In.

Among the new commissions is a special week of programmes to run during Census Week in March next year, including factual series Making Britain Count and new drama 32 Brinkburn Street, which tracks two generations of the same family in 1931 and 2011.

BBC Daytime will also celebrate the work of police officers in the UK with new series Britain's Bravest Cops.

"Over the next year we're going to be bringing our daytime viewers almost 100 more hours of current affairs, social issues and consumer affairs, as well as nearly doubling factual and drama events from three or four to at least six each year in the same vein as The Week We Went To War and the award-winning Land Girls," said Keelan.

"As the sole provider of UK-originated drama in daytime, I'm thrilled to be able to continue our commitment to this. And today I'm genuinely delighted to be able to announce these new commissions which I know will resonate strongly with our audience."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a276995/bbc-boosts-daytime-after-trust-criticism.html

This details the changes post-DQF:
    The BBC is preparing to take more creative risks in daytime as it unveils its new-look schedule following the Delivering Quality First cuts.

The changes set out last year under the savings programme mean that from the start of 2013, BBC2’s daytime output will be radically scaled back and content will transfer over to its sister channel, BBC1.

Daytime controller Liam Keelan has reshaped BBC1’s schedule from 9.15am to 6pm, over which he will now have nearly full control, as children’s programming moves exclusively to CBBC and CBeebies.

Notable casualties include Cash In The Attic, while Keelan has signed off bulk deals for shows including Homes Under the Hammer and Escape To The Country.

“We have weeded out the stuff that didn’t bring anything new and fresh,” he said, adding that the bulk orders will allow for more experimentation with shorter runs of new programmes.

In the late-morning slots, Keelan will look for “soft current affairs” shows such as Watchdog Daily, while in the early afternoon, drama will play more of a key role.

Daytime is increasingly working with BBC Worldwide to secure funding for scripted output such as GK Chesterton adaptation Father Brown. The BBC’s commercial arm has also put money into WPC 56, a new in-house drama about a female PC in the 1950s.

BBC2 shows including Perfection and Antiques Roadtrip will move to BBC1 later in the afternoon, where Keelan said there was “some money” to commission factual entertainment and formatted shows.

“We want to keep it is as variedas possible - we don’t want to see more than two of the same sort of genre in one day,” he added.

Meanwhile, the BBC2 schedule will be dominated by current affairs in the morning, with the arrival of a News Channel show, such as technology series Click, and repeats of Question Time and Panorama. A world news bulletin will air at 11am, while Daily Politics will be extended to an hour at 12pm.

The afternoon will feature narrative repeats from across the channels, while BBC2 is also set to showcase the corporation’s archive content, starting with David Attenborough’s complete canon of documentaries.

Keelan said he expected viewers to react “positively” to the changes but, overall, he is braced to lose audience share, with any gains on BBC1 offset by losses on BBC2.
    http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/dqf-cuts-bbc-takes-daytime-risks/5049500.article
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    If they launched a Pebble Mill / Daytime Live now they would be accused of stepping on the toes of the commercial sector such as ITV who have a day full of magazine chat shows it would not matter if it was better they would be told not to do it.

Do not see why, itv had Coronation Street, the BBC countered with Eastenders, previously BBC tried to copy itv daytime, think back to Good Morning with Anne and Nick a near copy of This Morning, we then settled into the Property and Antique Shows plus the recent docu-soap type stuff, a Pebble Mill / Daytime Live type programme at 2.15 pm would have no similar show up against it on the main PSB channels, but would provide some variety in the BBC One schedule and a genuine choice for viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    As far as I recall, originally, pre-DQF, the promised changes did NOT extend to the "follow a group of people" documentary series", the criticisms were aimed mainly at the property/antique shows, and the BBC Trust wanted more distinctive programming.....

The BBC has produced some good little daytime dramas plus the recent Austrailian import and for that I applaud, however the property and antique shows still seem to be very dominent, the "follow a group of people" docu-soaps are a more resent development, and seem to run end to end , when one group has been followed for 10 or so programmes another study of a different group starts, etc, until we come back to the first group, very dull IMHO. That is why I suggested a new daytime talk show, it could even be modelled on the final 45 minutes of BBC Breakfast, without the news bit, and utilise the BBC Breakfast set.
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    As far as I recall, originally, pre-DQF, the promised changes did NOT extend to the "follow a group of people" documentary series", the criticisms were aimed mainly at the property/antique shows, and the BBC Trust wanted more distinctive programming.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a276995/bbc-boosts-daytime-after-trust-criticism.html

This details the changes post-DQF:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/dqf-cuts-bbc-takes-daytime-risks/5049500.article

Well Mossy, looking at today's BBC sked - still Hammering homes & Sheriffs (Capita VOs Fav prog:p)+ Helicopters & on BBC1 & BBC2, no choice there....:p + some bargain hunt a bit of doctors & father brown, perhaps the saving grace is carpet bowls in north Norfolk - not much DQF there, is there?

So as I am having a day off work, it will not be BBC stuff for me, but a tidy & turn out & listening to Radio Caroline via their website:) http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/radioplayer2/index.html
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is not currently a studio audience based topical daytime debate show anywhere on British TV. There used to be The Time, The Place on ITV and Kilroy on the BBC (which became more Americanised in its format during its later years).

ITV has gone down the Jeremy Kyle 'personal issue' route and abandoned topical debate (I, personally would scrap it because it does the channel's image a great deal of harm), the nearest to topical debate is The Wright Stuff in Channel 5.

BBC One could do a series of live or pre-recorded studio-based morning debates with a skilled host on topical issues. For example, one week's worth could focus on topical issues like: unemployment, benefits culture, British military intervention in foreign conflicts, Britain's membership of the EU and religion in schools.

This wouldn't cost a fortune to make and would make a welcome change from the formulaic drivel that dominates BBC One during daytime.

I'd argue that the BBC One daytime schedule was at its strongest when it first launched in the late 1980s with programmes like Kilroy, Open Air, Neighbours (at its peak), Pebble Mill, with morning in-vision continuity, short news bulletins and those short weather forecasts with the 'lake' backdrop.
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    BBC One could do a series of live or pre-recorded studio-based morning debates with a skilled host on topical issues. For example, one week's worth could focus on topical issues like: unemployment, benefits culture, British military intervention in foreign conflicts, Britain's membership of the EU and religion in schools.

Much like Any Questions has a sister Any Answers on the radio, they could style this daytime debate as a sister to Question Time, giving the audience more input into the topics of the week.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I don't really see the need for the BBC to show Homes Under The Hammer and other repeats if the previous days output on BBC TWO every weekday morning from 6am when just a couple of hours later on BBC ONE the same shows are shown from 9.15am. Surely the BBC could show something different on BBC TWO from 6am than this rubbish. I'd rather see repeats of Perfection and Pointless in the schedule :)
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to the new BBC One daytime schedule we were promised? The schedule without all the property, cheap "follow a group of people" documentary series and antique shows?
    That was not promised. :)
    I thought "Homes Under The Hammer" had been cancelled but its still there?
    No, it wasn't cancelled. You might be thinking of To Buy or Not to Buy, which was scrapped a few years ago.
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This wouldn't cost a fortune to make and would make a welcome change from the formulaic drivel that dominates BBC One during daytime.
    Sounds like a good idea.
    I do think it's a shame that, generally, BBC One daytime is so unchallenging and lacking any ambition to educate or inform.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    The BBC have a 'head of daytime' for programming.

Apart from scheduling recycled repeats, what does he do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    The BBC have a 'head of daytime' for programming.

Apart from scheduling recycled repeats, what does he do?

The same as any channel controller I would imagine, especially as BBC Daytime is NOT all repeats.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't C5's The Wright Stuff a topical daytime debate show, it certainly thinks it is. But I agree there is a strong case for such a show on BBC1 and it could be farmed out to one of the regions like Glasgow or Cardiff where there is studio capacity.
  • Options
    Bill_JamesBill_James Posts: 325
    Forum Member

The problem the BBC has is to many TV channels and not enough material to fill them. At least one channel could be axed probably either BBC3 or BBC for and one of the childrens channels
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Bill_James wrote: »
    The problem the BBC has is to many TV channels and not enough material to fill them. At least one channel could be axed probably either BBC3 or BBC for and one of the childrens channels

This argument has been done to death on these forums.

The cost of a channel is neglible, so axing a channel wouldn't save any real amounts of money.

BBC3 and 4 offer targetted PSB for their audiences, and have allowed a greater diversity of programming that ever before. These two are not replicated in the commercial sector.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again .....

^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely watch ''daytime'' although if I do it's the BBC News channel, my viewing day usually starts around 6 pm because of work commitments (and a bit of Breakfast).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I Do not understand how getting rid of a BBC3 or BBC4 and CBBC or Cbeebies will help give BBC daytime more variety, as most daytime fayre is produced at relatively low cost.

If I have it right there seems to be some agreement here for a daytime talk show either a studio audience based topical daytime debate show, this could be augmented with a phone in show on the BBC News channel(Think Any Questions and Any Answers on Radio4)or a Celebrity type Talk show. If the former 11.15 would be my favoured start time (to avoid going head to head with The Wright stuff, and hopefully to pick up some of its audience when it finishs) or 2.15 for the latter (Thus avoiding any duplication of programme type with This Morning or The Alan Titchmarsh Show)
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why they announced the changes anyway. Most shows get over a million viewers and I can't imagine Homes Under The Hammer and the antique shows costing that much (in the scheme of things) to produce or buy

If BBC1 daytime gets over 1m viewers per episode, why change anything? That's more than most C4 primetime shows get! No wonder that none of the Top 100 shows of 2013 were on Channel 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Do not understand how getting rid of a BBC3 or BBC4 and CBBC or Cbeebies will help give BBC daytime more variety, as most daytime fayre is produced at relatively low cost.

If I have it right there seems to be some agreement here for a daytime talk show either a studio audience based topical daytime debate show, this could be augmented with a phone in show on the BBC News channel(Think Any Questions and Any Answers on Radio4)or a Celebrity type Talk show. If the former 11.15 would be my favoured start time (to avoid going head to head with The Wright stuff, and hopefully to pick up some of its audience when it finishs) or 2.15 for the latter (Thus avoiding any duplication of programme type with This Morning or The Alan Titchmarsh Show)

Question Time is repeated on BBC2 on Friday mornings at 1000
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC4 is a major asset!

I like the way BBC4, and BBC3, begin broadcasting only at 7pm until the early hours.

I think there is a very strong case to be made for both BBC1 and BBC2 joining likewise, beginning programming for the day in the evening, or late afternoon. I don't think the BBC particularly values whatever daytime audience it has. Just because there are 24 hours in a day, why does that mean they have to broadcast for 24 hours a day? There are so many other channels in the commercial sector on digital television nowadays that can take up the slack, which is something that was not available back 25 years or more ago when BBC was off air most of the daytime, and the only option was ITV. Nobody minded then did they? Was there ever a clamour for full daytime TV schedules across the BBC back in the 1970's & much of the 1980's?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fine, so just because you don't like or value BBC daytime programming, it should not exist for anyone else.

Sadly, a typical DS "I don't like it so it should not be shown" attitude.
  • Options
    Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    There is not currently a studio audience based topical daytime debate show anywhere on British TV. There used to be The Time, The Place on ITV and Kilroy on the BBC (which became more Americanised in its format during its later years).

ITV has gone down the Jeremy Kyle 'personal issue' route and abandoned topical debate (I, personally would scrap it because it does the channel's image a great deal of harm), the nearest to topical debate is The Wright Stuff in Channel 5.

I'd argue that the BBC One daytime schedule was at its strongest when it first launched in the late 1980s with programmes like Kilroy, Open Air, Neighbours (at its peak), Pebble Mill, with morning in-vision continuity, short news bulletins and those short weather forecasts with the 'lake' backdrop.

I enjoyed watching Open Air and Daytime Live and I hope that the BBC will bring them back. They could base Open Air in Media City which could mean Breakfast being moved back to London. Also Daytime Live could be broadcast from the Mailbox in Birmingham. The BBC doesn't seem to do much network TV from Birmingham these days.