Jamaica Inn - Over 700 complains over sound quality / mumbling

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27123439
The number of viewer complaints over the audibility of BBC One drama Jamaica Inn has escalated, with the second episode seeing a decline in ratings.
A total of 252 people complained after the second episode on Tuesday, following the 546 who complained after Monday night's opening episode.
Episode two drew an average audience of 4.5 million, down on the 6.1 million who tuned in for the first instalment.
The three-part adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's novel concludes later.
The BBC apologised on Tuesday, attributing problems viewers had understanding the dialogue to "issues with the sound levels".
Some viewers said they had to use subtitles to understand the actors' apparent "mumbling", which one complainant said "was the worst [ever] heard in a TV drama".

There has been threads and posts on sound quality in programmes on DS, be it mumbling, background music or the sound level between programmes and adverts etc.

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mumbling is my particular bete noir........especially as I've been told on here that it must be me going deaf.........roll eyes.

Nice to see that mumbling is becoming an issue for others as well

I think the problem that it's a fashion amongst actors, like method acting, where they believe that mumbling makes the audience pay more attention to them to hear what they're saying...........they all seem to think they're Brando

I'm afraid it doesn't work with me

If they mumble I turn off............if they can't be bothered to enunciate then I can't be bothered to watch
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Current thread been discussing this for two days now.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952050&page=24
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I've never heard a complaint of actors not speaking properly that I've agreed with. I think lazy sound mixing is just not adequately compatible with a lot of people's more basic or older sound setups. Dialogue always seems to be the first victim in that battle.
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Mumbling is my particular bete noir........especially as I've been told on here that it must be me going deaf.........roll eyes.

I think the problem that it's a fashion amongst actors, like method acting, where they believe that mumbling makes the audience pay more attention to them to hear what they're saying...........they all seem to think they're Brando

If they mumble I turn off............if they can't be bothered to enunciate then I can't be bothered to watch

I know where you're coming from mate. This mumbling malarkey has been around for too long now.
    Many an evening I would say to the wife "What did they say"?
    It's one of the reason's I end up on the DS forum.;-):)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Tbh I've never heard a complaint of actors not speaking properly that I've agreed with. I think lazy sound mixing is just not adequately compatible with a lot of people's more basic or older sound setups. Dialogue always seems to be the first victim in that battle.
    The clip of the show they showed on the news was unhearable. I don't know if they exagerated it for the news but if that was the real clip then i'm not surpised there were compaints.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The clip of the show they showed on the news was unhearable. I don't know if they exagerated it for the news but if that was the real clip then i'm not surpised there were compaints.

That was a real clip and demonstrated what an awful actor was playing the part.

Did no one realise how bad this guy was?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

With you 100%.

Shetland is another turn off and again from the BBC surprise surprise.

I wonder what POV would have said had they been on at the moment >:(

Edit. I was surprised it was brought up on the BBC news tonight. Not a good ad for the mumbling actor :D
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad script,
    Badly miscast
    Not even for the most part filmed in Cornwall
    Worst of all the sound. First time I have ever used subtitles for an English language programme. I was looking forward to this. I am going to see it through to the bitter end but it has been hugely disappointing.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had over 1000 complaints tonight AFTER engineers fixed the sound problem with viewers moaning that they could now understand the dialogue but preferred it when they couldn't.
    JOKE
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should this be a broadcasting thread?
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmph.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often have put the subtitles on for shows now because I can't hear what the characters are saying.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This problem with poor sound levels has been an issue with BBC HD channels for years. It's down to Dolby Digital being used with no concession to the fact that a stereo mixdown of DD is virtually inaudible in comparison to non-DD audio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27123439

There has been threads and posts on sound quality in programmes on DS, be it mumbling, background music or the sound level between programmes and adverts etc.

Why do they feel the need to write a letter or complain by email?

Dont like it dont watch it.

Suprised the BBC dont just delete the complaint emails and pretend they never got sent.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Maybe they did watch it and wanted to like it but were disappointed so decided to complain
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen this programme. I did try to have a gander at the second episode just to find out what all the fuss was about. Tuned in at 9pm only to find the previous scheduled
    programme still running. Scrolled through some other channels while waiting for it to start and hopped back a few times to check. At 9 03 they had an ad running for East Enders. Flipping heck. Why does the BBC do that instead of starting a programme on time?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    I saw clips of this on HIGNFY last night. I didn't realize how bad it was!!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I saw clips of this on HIGNFY last night. I didn't realize how bad it was!!

It`s made the news globally. There`s nothing more broadcasters love than commenting on other broadcaster`s incompetence!
  • Sal*UKSal*UK Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Was really looking forward to this - love the book. HOwever, we gave up about 10 minutes in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why doesnt the bbc just delete the email complaints and pretend they never got them.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Why doesnt the bbc just delete the email complaints and pretend they never got them.

Because then that wouldn't be a very good idea. And with the furore it's caused it wouldn't wash.

The BBC are supposed to respond to viewers' concerns and provide as high as possible technical standards on their material.

Brushing their complaints under the carpet will get them nowhere except the front page of the Daily Mail.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Why do they feel the need to write a letter or complain by email?

Dont like it dont watch it.

Suprised the BBC dont just delete the complaint emails and pretend they never got sent.

It's not that they don't like the programme, it's the fact that they couldn't hear it to enjoy it in the first place!
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Just to offer a different view ... having finished the programme last night, I've said this in the programme thread:.
    In terms of the artistic choice (for the speech of Sean Harris), the context for me was the speech of an entirely uneducated, emotionally illiterate bully, a man whose only esteem in life came from being seen to be strong. This is not a person who talks in soliloquies, he doesn’t speak in sentences. Unless he really wants to communicate – usually with a woman - his speech is grunted and semi Neanderthal. Part of his language is violence, physical or emotional.

On top of that, many people unconfident in communication mumble. He’s also Cornish, in the 19th century.

As I’ve said, I respect the artistic choices and didn’t mind using captions as it seemed pretty appropriate (and I'm used to it from the Scandie drama).

I do think we should be way past the RADA faux-middle class accent of the 70s and 80s. That really is cringing.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Whether its the sound mixing or the actors, isn't the director's job to make sure that the programme is of broadcast quality?
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    As I understand it, about 4.5 million thought it was. I guess they also understood the artistic choices being made, rather than those choices flying way over their heads.