Options

Less cigarettes in a pack but same price and packaging?

yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
Forum Member
✭✭
My mum had been a smoker for about twenty years and has seen the price if twenty increase dramatically. She was told today when buying a pack that there are only 19 in a pack of twenty due to something to do with the EU. There still the same price and still say '20' on the pack. Anyone know anything about this and has it been going on long?

Comments

• Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    My mum had been a smoker for about twenty years and has seen the price if twenty increase dramatically. She was told today when buying a pack that there are only 19 in a pack of twenty due to something to do with the EU. There still the same price and still say '20' on the pack. Anyone know anything about this and has it been going on long?
    :DNow... I want out of the EU but even it wouldn't do this. What's more likely is some dodgy shop has got hold of some **** packets that should have gone in a cigarette vending machine as these often contain 15-19 cigs to match easy coinage £1s+£2s) and are now selling them at full price.
    Tell her to try ecigs.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure this is the EU, I had a search and it appears some brands are moving to 19 but not all. Its probably about profit, the government gets 82.5% per pack with the rest split between retailer and manufacturer.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Tobacconist/Richmond_Superkings_Cigarettes_19_per_pack_x_5.html
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    :DNow... I want out of the EU but even it wouldn't do this. What's more likely is some dodgy shop has got hold of some **** packets that should have gone in a cigarette vending machine as these often contain 15-19 cigs to match easy coinage £1s+£2s) and are now selling them at full price.
    Tell her to try ecigs.

Luckily we know the shop owners as they are neighbours for about six years so we know there not croaks. they were the ones who suggested e-cigs, she just can't get used to them.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah
    some dumbass told mummy about it!
    ;-)

probably some cheap ass shoppe keeper nicking ones out of packs
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Coca Cola, now ****!!
  • Options
    1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone had to say it...

FEWER
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was told about it the other week, that all companies will be moving to 19, 20's will no longer be available...don't know when it is supposed to happen though. Some brands have already started.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its been this way in Europe for a while but in most countries its only €6 a pack of 19
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I smoke blue pall mall and they've been 19 in a pack for a good few years
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Was told about it the other week, that all companies will be moving to 19, 20's will no longer be available...don't know when it is supposed to happen though. Some brands have already started.

Yes most have and it does state on the pack that there are 19 cigs.

OH brought a 200 pack duty free from Cyprus two or three months ago and only just noticed on the last '20' that there were only 19 per pack. This has been kept very quiet from all the loyal customers!
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    I smoke blue pall mall and they've been 19 in a pack for a good few years

I smoke the green ones and they are a lot cheaper then the premium brands packs of 20
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    I smoke the green ones and they are a lot cheaper then the premium brands packs of 20

Are the greens the menthol ones?
  • Options
    tania4stevetania4steve Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone had to say it...

FEWER

When I opened this thread my first 2 thoughts were:
    1. They mean fewer! Can I resist posting this?
    2. Nah, someone else will have beaten me to it, I predict by post 11...

Wasn't far out :D
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    First of all.....it has absolutely nothing to do with EU and everything to do with UK tobacco profiteering and maximising whatever they can get their grubby paws on.

Secondly, it doesn't say 20 on the packs with 19 in otherwise they'd be contravening description laws.

Finally, all cigarettes are sold in packs of 20 in all countries outside the UK. Whenever i escape the UK i smoke Marlboro 100's (Superkings) so using that brand as an example, they cost around £4.80 in Belgium down to as little as £1.70 in Serbia (2013 prices).
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    First of all.....it has absolutely nothing to do with EU and everything to do with UK tobacco profiteering and maximising whatever they can get their grubby paws on.

Secondly, it doesn't say 20 on the packs with 19 in otherwise they'd be contravening description laws.

Finally, all cigarettes are sold in packs of 20 in all countries outside the UK. Whenever i escape the UK i smoke Marlboro 100's (Superkings) so using that brand as an example, they cost around £4.80 in Belgium down to as little as £1.70 in Serbia (2013 prices).

The Government takes the biggest cut, hence the high prices compared to other countries.

Packs of 10 are subject to been banned from 2016 and menthol cigarettes by 2022, providing it gets approved, but most Countries in the EU are in favour so would seem this is likely.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    The Government takes the biggest cut, hence the high prices compared to other countries.

Packs of 10 are subject to been banned from 2016 and menthol cigarettes by 2022, providing it gets approved, but most Countries in the EU are in favour so would seem this is likely.

They better not get rid of menthol I'll be screwed! Packs on 10 I'm not too fussed about though.

My brand have gone down to 19, but cost about 30p less I think. And they say 19 on the packet too.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Are the greens the menthol ones?

Yes and when you push the button on the top they get stronger AND the king size are the same price as the standard size - result in my book
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, nothing to do with 'the EU', and everything to do with tobacco companies wanting to maximise sales and profit.

Having said that, this isn't even a new thing. The 'value' cigarettes have been packs of 19 for a good while now.

Mayfair, B&H Silver, Marlboro etc are all 20's.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a mugs game
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They better not get rid of menthol I'll be screwed! Packs on 10 I'm not too fussed about though.

My brand have gone down to 19, but cost about 30p less I think. And they say 19 on the packet too.

Pesky EU freaks ban everything. Water will soon face privatisation no doubt. I only like menthol ****. I only smoke socially and occasionally puff on an ecig. Nothing beats a super king menthol for me though :(
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I travel in Europe regularly and the only other country (outside of the UK) that made recent draconian changes has been Hungary. Came into force only last year and i had quite a shock to see what they've done.

All normal outlets such as Garage forecourt stations, Motorway service areas etc, had their shelves emptied. The Government took 42,000 outlets down to just 5,000 by forcing 'licenced' premises on the public. These licenced premises are very peculiar places. Tiny little shops with blacked out windows and doors with a small '18' sign outside. Their external appearance bears a strong resemblance to Sex shops in the UK!

Never seen anything quite so crazy in all my life because now, unless you know precisely where these places are, you have to drive around looking. I imagine their road accident rate will increase but they don't seem to think that's important.

Also as you can read from the two links below, it's been wide open to corruption with licences being handed to those 'currying' political favour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23146659

http://hungarianspectrum.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/the-troubled-tobacco-shop-concessions/

Worth adding that every other country in Europe has a normal approach to tobacco sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I travel in Europe regularly and the only other country (outside of the UK) that made recent draconian changes has been Hungary. Came into force only last year and i had quite a shock to see what they've done.

All normal outlets such as Garage forecourt stations, Motorway service areas etc, had their shelves emptied. The Government took 42,000 outlets down to just 5,000 by forcing 'licenced' premises on the public. These licenced premises are very peculiar places. Tiny little shops with blacked out windows and doors with a small '18' sign outside. Their external appearance bears a strong resemblance to Sex shops in the UK!

Never seen anything quite so crazy in all my life because now, unless you know precisely where these places are, you have to drive around looking. I imagine their road accident rate will increase but they don't seem to think that's important.

Also as you can read from the two links below, it's been wide open to corruption with licences being handed to those 'currying' political favour.

http://hungarianspectrum.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/the-troubled-tobacco-shop-concessions/

Worth adding that every other country in Europe has a normal approach to tobacco sales.

I'm not sure that means it's 'right' though, even if Hungary have gone overboard and gone about regulation the wrong way.

I've always thought it both unusual, hypocritical and bad for public health in that alcohol is way more strictly regulated than tobacco.

Anybody can sell tobacco legally, basically. It's such an 'appallingly lax' system everywhere.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a bunch of ridiculous weirdos. How bizarre...
    Edit: just read your last link. That is pretty funny. Most of the people I know try and smoke **** or tobacco from people who have been on holiday or buy from a cash n carry. The losses the Hungarian government are making brought a smile to my face :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bunch of ridiculous weirdos. How bizarre...
    Edit: just read your last link. That is pretty funny. Most of the people I know try and smoke **** or tobacco from people who have been on holiday or buy from a cash n carry. The losses the Hungarian government are making brought a smile to my face :D

I don't think it's ridiculous or weird to want greater tobacco control.

It sounds as if the situation in Hungary has been particularly susceptible to corruption - but assuming licences are issued on a normal, neutral basis I fail to see the issue.