do i just need to download an mp4 player on my tablet to watch mp4 files?

cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
Forum Member
If anyone can give me any advice, that would be great! I've been trying to find the least complicated, simple way of watching little videos I record from my galaxy phone ( and which afterwards I save on a pendrive) and watching it on another device.

A few weeks ago I got some advice from here about how to watch it on my televisión (through usb) though gave up on that, as far too technical for my simple techonophobe soul.......

For some reason, my televisión doesn't recognize the coding of my pendrive, so now I've moved on to the idea of buying a new Tablet....

Some say mp4 files can't be played on a tablet and others say they can, and that you just need a micro usb thingy ( which I've got) and then download an mp4 video player.......

But I just wanted to check that was all góspel as I don't want to pay out for a tablet and then find out too late that the pendrive is useless for the tablet with or without downloading anything new!

Any replies will be gratefully received. Thanks :)

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you have a Samsung phone why not consider a Samsung Tablet?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/

Chances are they will be compatible with the phone, reading a few random specs it does seem they play mp4 video natively.

Plus the way it operates is likely to be similar to the phone which could make it easier to figure out how to transfer the movies from phone to tablet.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    As you have a Samsung phone why not consider a Samsung Tablet?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/

Chances are they will be compatible with the phone, reading a few random specs it does seem they play mp4 video natively.

Plus the way it operates is likely to be similar to the phone which could make it easier to figure out how to transfer the movies from phone to tablet.
    Actually that does sound like a good idea......I have looked at some Samsung tablets, and can't believe the difference in price compared to other brand tablets.....

The only cheap one I've found are the 7" size, and I've always thought what is the point of buying one of those when I've already got a 5" phone....I know obviously it's still bigger, but not by a great deal....

I've already got the videos saved on to a pendrive, so it all depends on whether the pendrive works automatically in the Samsung tablet without the need to download anything etc.

Thanks for the tip :)
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Actually that does sound like a good idea......I have looked at some Samsung tablets, and can't believe the difference in price compared to other brand tablets.....

The only cheap one I've found are the 7" size, and I've always thought what is the point of buying one of those when I've already got a 5" phone....I know obviously it's still bigger, but not by a great deal....

I've already got the videos saved on to a pendrive, so it all depends on whether the pendrive works automatically in the Samsung tablet without the need to download anything etc.

Thanks for the tip :)

If you get a Samsung tablet with a micro SD memory slot, the built in video app will play back MP4 files up to 1080p absolutely fine from the SD card. To use a pen drive you normally need a OTG cable and a app called UME.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en_GB

If you can afford one the Galaxy Tab S2 is a great tablet.
    Forum Member
    If you get a Samsung tablet with a micro SD memory slot, the built in video app will play back MP4 files up to 1080p absolutely fine from the SD card. To use a pen drive you normally need a OTG cable and a app called UME.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en_GB

If you can afford one the Galaxy Tab S2 is a great tablet.
    Thanks for the reply. I am about to test some samsung tablets and if ok, i'll wait till 'black friday' then i'll buy one!
  • dont_be_hastydont_be_hasty Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    If you do go with an android tablet, apps such as VLC Player and MX Player should play near enough any video file format (including mp4).

Another Suggestion
    Do you have a smart tv or even the likes of a smart tv device (chromecast, roku box, amazon fire stick/tv)? If so you could always 'cast' the video files from you phone to smart tv or device using a casting app - like AllCast, LocalCast, BubbleUPnP.

This basically means you play them on your phone but these apps let to display them on your smart TV. There is a video on the allcast website show how there app works - www.allcast.io
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MX Player is your friend. Loads of plugins available. Will handle absolutely anything I throw at it.
    Forum Member
    If you do go with an android tablet, apps such as VLC Player and MX Player should play near enough any video file format (including mp4).

Another Suggestion
    Do you have a smart tv or even the likes of a smart tv device (chromecast, roku box, amazon fire stick/tv)? If so you could always 'cast' the video files from you phone to smart tv or device using a casting app - like AllCast, LocalCast, BubbleUPnP.

This basically means you play them on your phone but these apps let to display them on your smart TV. There is a video on the allcast website show how there app works - www.allcast.io
    Thanks for the tip, though I've just this morning bought a Samsung Tablet Tab A,and I slotted in the micro usb cable attached to my pendrive and luckily the videos play fine on it!

But then I copied on to my pendrive another video, it played fine from the pendrive on my work computer, but when I tested it afterwards on my new Tablet, the video didn't appear.......

Got no idea now why it's saved on my pendrive, yet won't appear on my Tablet when it's exactly in the same format as my other five videos.......
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip, though I've just this morning bought a Samsung Tablet Tab A,and I slotted in the micro usb cable attached to my pendrive and luckily the videos play fine on it!

But then I copied on to my pendrive another video, it played fine from the pendrive on my work computer, but when I tested it afterwards on my new Tablet, the video didn't appear.......

Got no idea now why it's saved on my pendrive, yet won't appear on my Tablet when it's exactly in the same format as my other five videos.......

Must be something different. .mp4 is a container it can contain different video and audio digital compression codecs. Use MediaInfo - Treeview option to compare what you actually have.

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VLC and MX player can play back just about any file type and both are available on Google Play store for free.

As for USB pendrive, you need to make sure that your tablet support 'USB on the go' which you can check via google search and you will need a USB to micro-usb converter cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OTG-USB-On-The-Go-Host-HQ-Adapter-Cable-USB-A-Female-to-Micro-B-Black-007229-/191324559687?hash=item2c8bd51947:g:8wkAAOSwk5FUuSex
  • dont_be_hastydont_be_hasty Posts: 214
    Forum Member

When you say it 'didn't appear' do you mean you can't see the actual video file on the pendrive (via the phone) or when you try to play the video not appears on the screen?
  • NephelerNepheler Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    There are many powerful video players for Samsung Galaxy Phone such as MXPlayer, MoboPlayer, BSPlayer, VLC Player for Android, RealPlayer, etc.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    If your using VLC, sometimes you need close down app fully and restart it when you've added new files.

The simplest way to play your content on android device is to share your PC's hard drive. Simply right click, and go to properties, advanced sharing, and then click the above box share this folder, and apply and OK. Then open VLC and you should see local network, you will then be asked for you windows password and username and then It's simple as locating your video files.

VLC will play anything there is not video file out there it won't play, unless it's seriously corrupted that is.
  • NephelerNepheler Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    You can either download some MP4 player such as BSPlayer, VLC Player for Android, MXPlayer, GPlayer or MoboPlayer, all of them have the capability to play MP4 files encoded with certain codec.