Options

Moffat confirms Matt Smith is Thirteenth Doctor

Comments

• Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    tscchope wrote: »
    Timelords have a limit of 12 regenerations.

The Master did manage to break that in the Film with McGann. He was brought back so has a full 12 to play with.

The second doctor was penalised with a loss of one regeneration. This was restored after helping the Timelords.

Doctors 4 and 6 served as Lord President of the Council. As a reward, the regeneration count is set back to 1.

Moffat's confirmed Hurt was an old 8th Doctor.

There's a way to make a Timelord immortal, but only Rassilon has undergone the process and that not on screen.

I think the 60s film doctors what dealt with by saying that the Doctor could change his face/appearance without regenerating. RTD referenced that in the non-regeneration of Doctor 10 - the one that got the human doctor created.

Capaldi no 12 has another 6 regenerations to go, thanks to being Lord President of the Council as 6.

The Valeyard was introduced as being between the doctors 12th and final incarnations which introduces a certain amount of leeway regarding how many the Doctor will have.
    Being Lord President doesn't grant you a new cycle of regenerations, as shown in the 5 Doctors.
    The only way shown on screen for a timelord to extend their life is to somehow take over another being. The Arc of Infinity, Keeper of Traken, Trial of a Timelord and The Movie all show instances.

My newly minted theory about how the Master survived in the movie was by gaining access to cyber-technology. His problem was that in order to take over the Doctors body he had to somehow do so without triggering another regeneration which would destroy the nanites (the silver snake) he'd put his memories etc into.
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So he gets to swallow a red pill to reset his lives and continue to live instead of just taking the blue pill and die peacfully.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat doesn't actually say that tho , at least he's not quoted as saying it in the article
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    tscchope wrote: »
    Timelords have a limit of 12 regenerations.

The Master did manage to break that in the Film with McGann. He was brought back so has a full 12 to play with.

The second doctor was penalised with a loss of one regeneration. This was restored after helping the Timelords.

Doctors 4 and 6 served as Lord President of the Council. As a reward, the regeneration count is set back to 1.

Moffat's confirmed Hurt was an old 8th Doctor.

There's a way to make a Timelord immortal, but only Rassilon has undergone the process and that not on screen.

I think the 60s film doctors what dealt with by saying that the Doctor could change his face/appearance without regenerating. RTD referenced that in the non-regeneration of Doctor 10 - the one that got the human doctor created.

Capaldi no 12 has another 6 regenerations to go, thanks to being Lord President of the Council as 6.

No he hasn't! He has shown the 8th Doctor regenerating into Hurt - the War Doctor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the other 8 faces seen after Hartnell in The Brain of Morbius?
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if this is the case, how did Matt's Doctor start to regenerate on the beach then?
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DanielF wrote: »
    So if this is the case, how did Matt's Doctor start to regenerate on the beach then?

That was a Robot, keep up :D

If Matt Smith is playing the 13th and final incarnation then the Doctor is obviously in denial about it.

He programs the Teselecta to show regeneration energy, he expects to regenerate in Lets Kill Hitler etc..
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet in this newspaper Moffat confirmed that Matt is 11th

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/24/doctor-who-steven-moffat-clears-up-the-whole-doctor-regeneration-problem-sort-of-4199592/

"[Matt Smith's Doctor] is in his 12th body but he’s the 11th Doctor"

But we also get this

"‘He has no more ever called himself the 11th Doctor than he would call himself Matt Smith. The Doctor doesn’t know off the top of his head [what number he is]‘ he said."

Even though in The Lodger he referred to himself as"Eleventh"
  • Options
    LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And, more explicitly, Trenzalore is the site of the "fall of the eleventh".
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lathamite wrote: »
    And, more explicitly, Trenzalore is the site of the "fall of the eleventh".

And also worth noting that Matt's first episode was deliberately entitled "The Eleventh Hour". If he is no longer the 11th Doctor what was the point of that? I do think Mr. Moffat does tend to make things up as he goes along, more often to cause ripples.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    And also worth noting that Matt's first episode was deliberately entitled "The Eleventh Hour". If he is no longer the 11th Doctor what was the point of that? I do think Mr. Moffat does tend to make things up as he goes along, more often to cause ripples.

He hasn't changed the numbering of Matt, though. He was very careful not to, and it was explained in the episode that nothing changed. Hurt still isn't The Doctor, so Matt Smith is still the eleventh Doctor.

It changed nothing. The episode went to great pains to explain and reinforce that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    A Digital spy article on 24th of November said this;

Speaking at the Doctor Who 50th Celebration at London's ExCel, Moffat said: "He has no more ever called himself the 11th Doctor than he would call himself Matt Smith. The Doctor doesn't know off the top of his head [what number he is].

"If you worry about such things, and I do, then I specifically said John Hurt's Doctor doesn't use the title. [Matt Smith's Doctor] is in his 12th body but he's the 11th Doctor, however there is no such character as the 11th Doctor - he's just The Doctor, that's what he calls himself.

"The numbering doesn't matter, except for those lists that you and I have been making for many years. So I've given you the option of not counting John Hurt numerically - he's the War Doctor."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a533505/doctor-who-steven-moffat-on-regeneration-limit.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    He hasn't changed the numbering of Matt, though. He was very careful not to, and it was explained in the episode that nothing changed. Hurt still isn't The Doctor, so Matt Smith is still the eleventh Doctor.

It changed nothing. The episode went to great pains to explain and reinforce that.

:confused:
    he is , DOTD confirmed it . (unless I'm misunderstanding you)

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member

John Hurts Doctor is the 8th incarnation of the Doctor but because he's called the war doctor, not the 8th doctor, eccleston is still 9th and so on
  • Options
    Forum Member

No he isn't.

He was, for those moments at the end before he goes back to his timeline, but quite clearly we are told things go back to how they were. He is the War Doctor, and he won't remember anything about trying to save Gallifrey. Neither will 9 or 10, nor will 11 up until the point he joins in on the adventure.

The episode went to great pains to explain that.
  • Options
    sy278sy278 Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not remembering saving Gallifrey does not mean he isn't the 9th. If he isn't part of their timeline, how do they know who he is?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orri wrote: »
    The only way shown on screen for a timelord to extend their life is to somehow take over another being. The Arc of Infinity, Keeper of Traken, Trial of a Timelord and The Movie all show instances..

That's the rumour I've read about Cap's doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sy278 wrote: »
    Not remembering saving Gallifrey does not mean he isn't the 9th. If he isn't part of their timeline, how do they know who he is?!

He's not the 9th Doctor. But he's the 9th one of them. He didn't take the title 'Doctor'. How does not being called the Doctor stop him from being part of their timeline?
  • Options
    sy278sy278 Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's splittling hairs, he's the 8th regeneration, that makes him the 9th 'doctor' whether he coses that tilte in this case or not. i.e. he is the 9th incarnation of the timelord most commonly known as The Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he isn't.

He was, for those moments at the end before he goes back to his timeline, but quite clearly we are told things go back to how they were. He is the War Doctor, and he won't remember anything about trying to save Gallifrey. Neither will 9 or 10, nor will 11 up until the point he joins in on the adventure.

You keep saying "The episode went to great pains to explain that" but it is one aspect of personal interpretation and that is it. In Night of the Doctor it is clearly shown that Paul McGann regenerated into Hurt. The same timelord but under a different regeneration. In Day of the Doctor it is clearly shown that Hurt regenerated again, though it is not entirely clear as to who his successor was, but to assume it was Eccleston is obviously the logical line of thought. War Doctor or not, he was still The Doctor but it's an incarnation 9, 10 and 11 chose to forget, not to deny it existed. Therefore whether or not you regard him as 9 proper or the War Doctor, to dismiss him as The Doctor would be ignoring the mythology completely. Moff only urges fans to refer to him as the War Doctor because he is afraid of upsetting the apple cart generally. He knows that renumbering the Doctors genealogy would be highly controversial and divisive, but considering Hurts Doctor was stood amongst the rest at the end, he was most definetely The Doctor. A regeneration of the same timelord but not be the same timelord is implausible and illogical. And calling him the War Doctor instead of Doc 9 is also implausible and illogical. Yes, he was the War Doctor, but only because he was the Doctor who went to war. He is still the Doctor. The credits also referred to him as The Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    That's the rumour I've read about Cap's doctor.

I hope not. Because technically that would be a show about a totally different being and would ruin the whole fluidity of it. Surely the easiest way of getting around this is for the Timelords to grant him a new cycle of regenerations as a reward for saving Gallifrey. Why complicate things?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I hope not. Because technically that would be a show about a totally different being and would ruin the whole fluidity of it. Surely the easiest way of getting around this is for the Timelords to grant him a new cycle of regenerations as a reward for saving Gallifrey. Why complicate things?

Another thread has started along the same lines, but what I heard was:
    Matt dies and cannot regen; a human (Caceleus?) offers his own body for the doctors ghost/energy to inhabit. The cliff-hanger is since this is the Dr melding with another body, he only has one heart, and must still seek out another way to gain a regeneration cycle

It could, of course, be utter twaddle. Or some fevered thread on GB.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone remind me how the Master extended his life. Back in the Deadly Assassin he was a decaying hulk, After reaching his last regeneration.

Somehow he regenerated (more than one) into the Master we have today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Is it not possible, given that its the Mirror, that it might not be accurate with its reporting. The 'I'm dying and there is nothing I can do about it' line echoes 10s comment to Wilf, that that particular regeneration is ending.

I still think that Capaldi will be the 12th (and final) and the hint of his first season (or even multiple season) story arc seems to suggest that he is now searching for Gallifrey, which we now know, he saved. So, is it unreasonable to assume that he finds Gallifrey and the Time Lords reward him with a new regeneration cycle, as they promised the Master in the Five Doctors?

It was right about Matt Smith leaving Doctor who and this was last year 9 months before it was announced officially people dismissed it just like they are dismissing this now

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a403160/doctor-who-bbc-denies-matt-smith-quit-reports.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he isn't.

he is the Doctor , the episode went to great pains to explain that , MS even says that he more than anyone he deserves the name .

. .