Day Of The Doctor - The credentials of Queen Elizabeth I

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
So, how is the painting 'Gallifrey Falls No More' the credentials of Queen Elizabeth I? Also, when The Doctor first sees it, things get really weird. We cut to a flash(back?) of The Doctor in the same outfit, same bowtie, in a darkened room with flashes of light (fire?), growling 'No More'. I thought maybe it was a flashback to when he's in his own timestream at the end of 'Name of The Doctor' but aside from the setting, his bowtie is different and he doesn't say that in the previous ep. He says 'No more' again straight after the flash.

The Doctor recognises the painting. He knows the title (or thinks he does). He states it doesn't belong here 'not in this time, not in this place'. We get another flash of The Doctor, really brief this time, like he's screaming, there's sirens in the background. Focusing round The Doctor gets really weird, he takes Clara's hand, Clara asks him if he's okay. He tells her he was there, at the fall of Arcadia. Then we flash to him completely alone in the gallery, we hear a weird discordant Cloister Bell, a closeup on his eyes, which change to John Hurt's. I can't decide if these flashes are flashbacks, flashforwards or something else...

'Elizabeth told us where to find it, and its significance.' - So where the hell did she find it? It also seems the 'Tom Baker' future incarnation curator found the painting himself - 'I acquired it in remarkable circumstances.' So, what the hell? Did Elizabeth find it? Or did someone tell her where it could be found (Tom Baker future Doctor?). And once more, how exactly does the painting prove the credentials of Queen Elizabeth I?

Comments

• Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I suppose it's her "credentials" as in its something so important that it catches the Doctors attention 100% and lets him know that something serious is going on.

I guess at some point the eleventh Doctor (or ten or a future incarnation) stole the painting from Gallifrey and gave it to Elizabeth. All teh flashbacks/forwards and timey-wimey stuff was I guess visual shorthand for "paradox ahoy!" things are about to get complicated.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the Painting would have been hidden for 400 plus years presumably somewhere only the Royal family had access to.

So if UNIT get given a message saying where the Painting is and it turns out to be true a note to the Doctor from the same source is likely true as well.

As to the Doctor's reaction to the painting (the flashbacks if that was what they were), what if it was the Doctor who actually painted the Painting.

After the Events of "Day" the 10th Doctor returns to 1562 (if he has forgotten later events he probably thinks the Zygons are still there). He gets there finds out the Zygons are gone but spends some time with his new Wife (enough time to get his Portrait painted) and while there he paints "No More".

After a while he decides he's put off the summons to the Ood Sphere too long and leaves, leaving the Painting behind with Liz I.