Options

This season has been quite poor really

Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
Forum Member
Anyone else feel like this? Cant get into this season some how and I thought last season was a struggle to get through. I just hope we do not get a awful winner like Mark again, but majority of the cast still left are awful.

Comments

• Options
    Dan RDan R Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this year, but last year was miles better IMO - we had memorable characters such as Sarah and Steven, lots of creative tasks and loads of memorable moments such as skeleton-gate, the wearable technology disaster and Mark vs. Daniel. This year hasn't had anything like that and the latest task was particularly dull.

But maybe nostalgia is clouding my judgement and I do really like Claude.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are rose tinting the Daniel and Mark thing. Both were essentially bullshitters and ultimately, Daniel was a bit of an idiot and Mark was a gameplayer and quite manipulative.

I'm actually enjoying this series more than either of the last two which I found a bit too filled with people who were very obviously just on it to try and carve out a career in reality TV (e.g. James, Luisa). We only really have Selina for that in this series.

I think the editing isn't brilliant in this series and we could do with seeing more task and less boardroom, and that's possibly a reason people are feeling a bit switched-off.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Anyone else feel like this? Cant get into this season some how and I thought last season was a struggle to get through. I just hope we do not get a awful winner like Mark again, but majority of the cast still left are awful.

Think that Richard, Joseph, Brett, Charleine and Vana would all be better winners then Mark (mind you, so would my local garbage man ;-):D).
  • Options
    MissMonkeyMooMissMonkeyMoo Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall, it's been a lot less enjoyable. The year before last was brilliant with Neil, Alex and Jason and last year's was good but this year I just don't think we have really memorable characters. Added to that is that no one has really shown themselves to be worthy winners as yet, and some of the tasks have also felt a bit flat.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    last series was worse. 20 candidates with way too many deadweights
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,682
    Forum Member
    It's shifted tone a fair bit. It's considerably different from say, Series 6 and under.

Lord Sugar just doesn't seem as into it as he did in previous series. I don't know why I think this but something about him just seems off to me recently, like he's forcing himself to go on with it.

Karen is also taking herself FAR too seriously, she just oozes negativity and that's okay when a team are doing exceptionally poor but she has done nothing but make snide remarks and put downs pretty much all series. As for Claude, I do like him, but unfortunately he does make quite a step down from Nick and there's no way I'm the only one who thinks that.

The candidates may be total crap (which could very easily be the case) but I think it's fair to say the editing team has done nobody any favours. The editing has made damn sure to paint Richard as a competent yet alienating doofus, Selina as a bit of a prick, Charleine as the one who hates Selina but ironically has a lot in common with her and... that's it.. the show has forgotten to highlight the candidates skills and instead focuses now on the characters who are likely to stir the most drama and get the most people talking. I mean we're down to 8 candidates left, 1 of whom only just got his "big break" (Gary) and a couple who we've seen do things on and off but not consistently enough (Vana, Brett, Joseph).

It's a shame, but I do feel like this series has been disappointing.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    I find the candidates more likeable than last series, but I haven't really cared about what happens since series 9.
    I'm still surprised series 9 was so good since it was surrounded by the two biggest messes - series 8 and 10.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. I'm only half watching. It was only last week I realised Richard and Brett are different people
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Normally by now 2 or 3 probable winners are standing out. Don't see that at all. At this point, if I was Sugar, I'd be pursuading the producers to go for the shock ending by announcing nobody has earned his trust sufficently for him to invest in their business.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this series has been watchable, nothing more. The Apprentice is quite unusual in that, I don't think many people would agree that there was a point where it simply jumped the shark and stopped being as good as it once was. Not surprising really when there's such a lot to balance to get it right. Some series have worked better than others, some have shone in some regards and lacked in others. What's clear though is that the last two series have got quite a lot wrong.

1. Too many candidates leaving not enough screen time to focus roundly on everybody. This results in the most obnoxious characters dominating the action.
    2. Too many candidates who, quite obviously, never had a chance of winning. Inarticulate, immature, naive, over confident. But, then again, is that just how they appear because of point 1?
    3. Edits overfocussing on misleading the viewer about which team is winning and forgetting to show what actually happened.
    4. Too much focus on personality clashes. Yes, we've always had this, but it wasn't the focal point of every episode.
    5. Too much pantomime from the advisers.

There's probably more but, basically, it comes down to the edit.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this series has been watchable, nothing more. The Apprentice is quite unusual in that, I don't think many people would agree that there was a point where it simply jumped the shark and stopped being as good as it once was. Not surprising really when there's such a lot to balance to get it right. Some series have worked better than others, some have shone in some regards and lacked in others. What's clear though is that the last two series have got quite a lot wrong.

1. Too many candidates leaving not enough screen time to focus roundly on everybody. This results in the most obnoxious characters dominating the action.
    2. Too many candidates who, quite obviously, never had a chance of winning. Inarticulate, immature, naive, over confident. But, then again, is that just how they appear because of point 1?
    3. Edits overfocussing on misleading the viewer about which team is winning and forgetting to show what actually happened.
    4. Too much focus on personality clashes. Yes, we've always had this, but it wasn't the focal point of every episode.
    5. Too much pantomime from the advisers.

There's probably more but, basically, it comes down to the edit.

To me, this is the key one. Especially from rewatching series 1 as I have been doing, which got this bang on - and also had some of the funniest moments.

One of the golden points of series 1 for me was seeing the mistakes made - because they were being made by professional, accomplished business people. It humanised them and it showed that even very competent individuals on their own can make silly mistakes, clash with each other, or struggle to work together.

I think recent series haven't given us as much of a sense of the characters and have chased pantomime characters like Katie Hopkins - probably in the audition/application stage. There also seems to have been more deliberate picking of candidates who might not get along - similar to something like Wife Swap, almost.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    The last series was a drag to get through, this series has been ok, however the last series like this one has to many candidates, which has been deliberately contrived to have as many double/triple firings as possible before the interviews, & far too many dead weight candidates with no chance of winning,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, this is the key one. Especially from rewatching series 1 as I have been doing, which got this bang on - and also had some of the funniest moments.

One of the golden points of series 1 for me was seeing the mistakes made - because they were being made by professional, accomplished business people. It humanised them and it showed that even very competent individuals on their own can make silly mistakes, clash with each other, or struggle to work together.

I think recent series haven't given us as much of a sense of the characters and have chased pantomime characters like Katie Hopkins - probably in the audition/application stage. There also seems to have been more deliberate picking of candidates who might not get along - similar to something like Wife Swap, almost.

Exactly. I loved the format of series one. I loved that the candidates took such a measured and professional approach to each task - whether or not they got it right was what made it so entertaining.

The show can never get that back because the candidates entering each year have seen too much of the show.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Luisa year was the last time the show felt a big event doesn't feel as much now but I still enjoy it
  • Options
    Arthur_BArthur_B Posts: 3,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The candidates seems weak this year, yet they're entertaining. Ultimately, I always enjoy the Apprentice, as very little changes.
  • Options
    Cole DeschanelCole Deschanel Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mark was a worthy winner. His business plan of launching his own search engine was unique & it had potential when he presented it to a room full of audience. The only good thing this series is the eye-candy that is Brett. But something tells me Joseph will make it to the final. Karen and Lord Sugar are already singing his praises every week.