Anyone find Adele's music boring?

Comments

• Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She strikes me as this generations Phil Collins. An artist who sells by the bucket load but simultaneously bores just as many people.

Difference between Adele and Phil Collins is he had a decent body of work with Genesis before becoming a Safe boring solo artist.
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Rolling In The Deep and Someone Like You from 21 but the rest of the album was boring as hell. Based on this, I can't be arsed to listen to 25. If Hello is the best the album can't offer then the rest must be terrible.

I liked all the singles from 19 (and thought they were much more interesting and creative than bet later singles) but didn't listen to the album.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Squatch wrote: »
    I liked Rolling In The Deep and Someone Like You from 21 but the rest of the album was boring as hell. Based on this, I can't be arsed to listen to 25. If Hello is the best the album can't offer then the rest must be terrible.

I liked all the singles from 19 (and thought they were much more interesting and creative than bet later singles) but didn't listen to the album.

Chris Evans always had a theory that you could tell an artist's albums pre and post "mansion"

Once the royalties from the first album(s) finally arrived, they bought a mansion.
    Then their songs lacked the "common touch" as they had nothing to struggle with in their lives any more.
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Is it all similar or have you only had a glancing listen? And is it as formulaic as say a Metallica album, or a Motorhead album, or any rap album, or any Ramones album, or....you get the picture. Or is it only if music is slower and piano led is it a problem that there's a recurring style.

some artists are Picasso's who need to constantly change direction, and some are Rothko's exploring subtle differences within their distinctive style. Nowt wrong with either approach imo, the important thing is to do what you do with conviction.

It's about subject matter and style predominantly, I'm aware that some other artists from other genres have a similar capacity to do so. Maybe Adele is in the market to produce a certain sound which she is good at? However, I can't help but think at the same no disrespect but she is another product of the 'in-thing' at the moment soulful-pop more than that she is white, British and has a soulful voice that's gonna get you plenty of airtime in itself. Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting racial prejudice, but whatever happened to Rebecca Ferguson, Leona Lewis or even Gabrielle there all of similar vocal range and ability to Adele yet never received the hysteria and hype Adele faces. Is she really anymore talented than James Morrison for instance who is my favourite British vocalist atm or Will Young, or Dido for example?
  • evkylemeatsixevkylemeatsix Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Yes, I find her boring.

Music for people who don't really like music.

....And the dumbest, most obsurd post of the year goes to......
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Hello is a horrible song.

I dumped you a while back and ruined your life,
    now I have had time to think about it I'd like to reconnect with you so I can bring up all over again how crap I made you feel.
    Hey - I'm in California having a great time - and you are stuck in the old dump of a town where we grew up. Can we talk about how great I am now

PLUS - it makes no sense as she says "But when I call you never seem to be home"

so she is obviously calling on a landline as if she was calling his mobile then not "being at home" would not apply.

BUT THEN she asks "Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happened?"

If she is calling his landline then she must know the area code and have his old house phone number, so she knows where he is.

Not only is she a complete self-centred b**ch, but she is thick as well

LOL its probably a fictional scenario, but nice analysis!:D:D
  • PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

now I have had time to think about it I'd like to reconnect with you so I can bring up all over again how crap I made you feel.
    Hey - I'm in California having a great time - and you are stuck in the old dump of a town where we grew up. Can we talk about how great I am now

PLUS - it makes no sense as she says "But when I call you never seem to be home"

so she is obviously calling on a landline as if she was calling his mobile then not "being at home" would not apply.

BUT THEN she asks "Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happened?"

If she is calling his landline then she must know the area code and have his old house phone number, so she knows where he is.

Yeah ! I thought the same. Stupid song, that is in my head now a lot :cool:
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's about subject matter and style predominantly, I'm aware that some other artists from other genres have a similar capacity to do so. Maybe Adele is in the market to produce a certain sound which she is good at? However, I can't help but think at the same no disrespect but she is another product of the 'in-thing' at the moment soulful-pop more than that she is white, British and has a soulful voice that's gonna get you plenty of airtime in itself. Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting racial prejudice, but whatever happened to Rebecca Ferguson, Leona Lewis or even Gabrielle there all of similar vocal range and ability to Adele yet never received the hysteria and hype Adele faces. Is she really anymore talented than James Morrison for instance who is my favourite British vocalist atm or Will Young, or Dido for example?

it's not about being more talented than everyone else, her popularity isn't saying that...just differently talented in a way that more people connect with .I'd guess Rebecca F Leona L were hampered by being XF graduates who come out of the blocks at their height and then the trajectory is inevitably down. I don't know enough about james Morrison to comment.
    There are no doubt some singers as talented as Adele out there who can't shift an album to save their life, or who don't even have a recording career, or who've never sung outside of their house. It doesn't make Adele any less talented that the world isn't an exact meritocracy though
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Difference between Adele and Phil Collins is he had a decent body of work with Genesis before becoming a Safe boring solo artist.

She has certainly never addressed the problems of an abusive political authority like Phil did on Land of Confusion. Then again she has also never made up a word in a song simply because it scanned well like Phil did with "Sussudio"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Although not all her fans (or even most of them) are people who don't really like music, the sheer numbers she sells proves that her music does also attract the "One album a year" crowd. To be fair getting that audience on board is what truly breaks into the big league as an artist. Getting people to buy your music who aren't really interested in music at all is the only way you can hope to sell the amount of albums she has.

What Adele has managed to do is something that so few other artists have. She caters for the everyday person whilst also managing to gain critical acclaim. She may get a 8/10 in the NME and also manage to sell albums to the retirement home massive. Her music doesn't take people out of their comfort zone and that familiarity means it's accessible to people across the board. Not everyone will like her music but people from each segment of our society will enjoy it
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    it's not about being more talented than everyone else, her popularity isn't saying that...just differently talented in a way that more people connect with .I'd guess Rebecca F Leona L were hampered by being XF graduates who come out of the blocks at their height and then the trajectory is inevitably down. I don't know enough about james Morrison to comment.
    There are no doubt some singers as talented as Adele out there who can't shift an album to save their life, or who don't even have a recording career, or who've never sung outside of their house. It doesn't make Adele any less talented that the world isn't an exact meritocracy though[

A good summary, Adele's success is a controversial topic but I can see both points of the argument. Will be interesting to see how her career pans out over the coming years though, will she develop more as an artist, or stay the same, or fade into the background like a Lily Allen; time will tell I guess.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no doubt some singers as talented as Adele out there who can't shift an album to save their life, or who don't even have a recording career, or who've never sung outside of their house. It doesn't make Adele any less talented that the world isn't an exact meritocracy though[

A good summary, Adele's success is a controversial topic but I can see both points of the argument. Will be interesting to see how her career pans out over the coming years though, will she develop more as an artist, or stay the same, or fade into the background like a Lily Allen; time will tell I guess.

I can see Adele releasing one more album while she's still at her peak and then taking an early retirement to enjoy her millions.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Adele has managed to do is something that so few other artists have. She caters for the everyday person whilst also managing to gain critical acclaim. She may get a 8/10 in the NME and also manage to sell albums to the retirement home massive. Her music doesn't take people out of their comfort zone and that familiarity means it's accessible to people across the board. Not everyone will like her music but people from each segment of our society will enjoy it

Her albums don't really get critical acclaim, they generally get solid reviews (6/10 in NME for 25, not 8/10). For example each one of Taylor Swifts last three album has better reviews (albeit just) than all of Adeles three albums - absolutely not a Taylor Swift fan by the way, just using her as a example that Adele's music critically isn't considered the bee knees compared to what other similar artists are putting out.

As I wrote early in this thread Adele's success reminds me of Titanic - the film. A decent film, but nothing truly amazing that just caught the female public's attention and wrote that wave to become the biggest grossing movie or all time (at the time).
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it might come as a surprise to you to learn that the older demographic who like Adele's music (i include myself it that description...just:blush:), have been buying music for decades. People who have been through the 60's, or in my case 70's, been through punk and post punk, the indie scene of the 80's, bits of brit-pop in the 90's and grunge and so on. Iv'e been through all that shit and i like Adele, it's not my normal type of music i admit but whatever.

But whenever i see this comment about some artist or other (and it's a far from original one) i wish the person making it would tell us what they like, so we can know what someone who like music likes

What I mean by that is that she's one of those strange artists that sells loads yet I don't know a single person (in real life) who has actually bought any of her stuff. It's the same with Celine Dion and people mentioned Phil Collins. She's the kind of artist that people who just buy one album a year from the supermarket buy. Yes, some of her fans will be big music lovers but a lot won't. The kind of people who reply "anything" when you ask them what kind of music they like.

If she was a beer she'd be something like Carling or Fosters, boring and tasteless but a ridiculous amount of people drink it because it's safe and easily accessible.

What I like is kind of irrelevant but I like stuff from every decade mentioned above from The Beatles and The Small Faces, The Velvet Undergroud through Television, The Clash, The Jam, Joy Division, The Smiths The Stone Roses through to newer stuff. My favourite band of all time though is Pulp. I'm a big fan of going to gigs though and in the last few weeks I've seen The Libertines, Spector, Father John Misty, The Cribs, The Happy Mondays and Frank Turner, all of which were very good (even the Happy Mondays who I thought were going to be awful).
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    What I mean by that is that she's one of those strange artists that sells loads yet I don't know a single person (in real life) who has actually bought any of her stuff. It's the same with Celine Dion and people mentioned Phil Collins. She's the kind of artist that people who just buy one album a year from the supermarket buy. Yes, some of her fans will be big music lovers but a lot won't. The kind of people who reply "anything" when you ask them what kind of music they like.

If she was a beer she'd be something like Carling or Fosters, boring and tasteless but a ridiculous amount of people drink it because it's safe and easily accessible.

What I like is kind of irrelevant but I like stuff from every decade mentioned above from The Beatles and The Small Faces, The Velvet Undergroud through Television, The Clash, The Jam, Joy Division, The Smiths The Stone Roses through to newer stuff. My favourite band of all time though is Pulp. I'm a big fan of going to gigs though and in the last few weeks I've seen The Libertines, Spector, Father John Misty, The Cribs, The Happy Mondays and Frank Turner, all of which were very good (even the Happy Mondays who I thought were going to be awful).

yes but i like a lot of that too. I grew up as the 5th member of The Clash, in my own head, and still consider London Calling the greatest thing since uncut bread ( i prefer it to sliced tbh) . it's people like me that made bands like The Clash & The Smiths happen so people like you could come along and be cool later;-) And i can move on and appreciate Adele other forms of music entirely and not care about being cool.

I don't buy much pop/rock music these days it's true, but not because i only buy what's staring me in the face in a supermarket, but because so little of it matches up to the music of the past.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes but i like a lot of that too. I grew up as the 5th member of The Clash, in my own head, and still consider London Calling the greatest thing since uncut bread ( i prefer it to sliced tbh) . it's people like me that made bands like The Clash & The Smiths happen so people like you could come along and be cool later;-) And i can move on and appreciate Adele other forms of music entirely and not care about being cool.

I don't buy much pop/rock music these days it's true, but not because i only buy what's staring me in the face in a supermarket, but because so little of it matches up to the music of the past.

Fair enough, as I said, I'm sure some people who like her are into music but I do think a lot aren't and are just casual music listeners.

You kind of imply that people like and dislike things just to be "cool", I'm not bothered about being "cool", I'm 34, hardly a kid, I just like what I like and I find Adele very mediocre.

I don't agree with your last bit though, there is a lot of good stuff around nowadays.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The song is about selfishness, about the singer getting things right for her own state of mind. There is an uncertainty about whether she is really sorry for what has happened.
    It's 'hello from the other side...from the outside'...she got out and way including the environment she was trapped in.

It's not a horrible song, it's a realistic song. It's about self-absorption. The singer/author sounds like she is really addressing her own issues. That's a perfectly good theme for a song and the melancholy atmosphere suits the song well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Her albums don't really get critical acclaim, they generally get solid reviews (6/10 in NME for 25, not 8/10). For example each one of Taylor Swifts last three album has better reviews (albeit just) than all of Adeles three albums - absolutely not a Taylor Swift fan by the way, just using her as a example that Adele's music critically isn't considered the bee knees compared to what other similar artists are putting out.

As I wrote early in this thread Adele's success reminds me of Titanic - the film. A decent film, but nothing truly amazing that just caught the female public's attention and wrote that wave to become the biggest grossing movie or all time (at the time).

What I meant was is she isn't seen as a joke by the music press in the way someone like One Direction are but fair points.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not boring as such.

But I don't really have time for her. life's depressing enough as it is at times, don't need her tales of a relationship that ended a decade ago adding to it.
  • olinessoliness Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Chris Evans always had a theory that you could tell an artist's albums pre and post "mansion"

Once the royalties from the first album(s) finally arrived, they bought a mansion.
    Then their songs lacked the "common touch" as they had nothing to struggle with in their lives any more.

That's a great theory. I went off Adele when she made those comments about wanting to randomly open fire with a gun when she got her tax bill. I mean if you're ready to shoot innocent kids because you only now have £2 million instead of £4 million you are, in my book, becoming narcissistic. Since she said that I could never get "into" her music anymore.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    She has an amazing voice, but I do find her music boring. She has too many ballads and slow songs. She needs more uptempo songs. I like artists who have more a variety of tempos.
    Rolling in the Deep is a great song, but there aren't many more uptempo songs like that on the new album.
    The only really up song on the new album is Send My Love which I enjoyed. She needs more songs like that for more of a balance.

I agree with you 100%!

And both you and I know full well that a voice like Adele's isn't always essential for a person to become a worldwide superstar! ;);)
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I admire her for sticking to her formula of aching ballads and yearning mid-tempos. If she was tempted to go more pop or EDM with 25, she would have become Jess Glyne.

You don't have to go pop to get more pace in a song.
    (Had to look up EDM) :p
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, is it mainly songs for women?
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Best post of the thread :D:D:D
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although not all her fans (or even most of them) are people who don't really like music, the sheer numbers she sells proves that her music does also attract the "One album a year" crowd. To be fair getting that audience on board is what truly breaks into the big league as an artist. Getting people to buy your music who aren't really interested in music at all is the only way you can hope to sell the amount of albums she has.

at best it's background music - the sort of thing you'd put on at a dinner party to fill any awkward silences, certainly not music that most people would sit down and really listen to.
    Which also makes me think that 25 will be one of this years most unwanted Christmas gifts and will be in the 99p bargain bin in the local charity shop a week after New Year