Monroe

13»

Comments

• GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love this series and hope it does return for another one as I think there is a lot of room left for potential storylines. The one thing I love about the show though is the actual location they use for the hospital which is the former Leeds Girls School and took 8 weeks of work to convert it into looking like it does. The ward scenes are all filmed in what used to be the library.

Really? I used to work in an old psychiatric hospital, and every time I see the corridors on Monroe it takes me right back there. The set has got 'authentic old hospital' written right through it like Brighton through a stick of rock.

I'd watch another series if there was one, but I think it's a shame that things didn't work out for Lawrence and his wife, as they seemed such an unlikely couple from the outset - the odds were already stacked against them, and I would have liked to have seen the pair of them beat them.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    logjammer wrote: »
    Greetings, fellow spies, and please be gentle with this newbie’s first posting. The song/singer at the end of Monroe is, indeed, Galileo, subtitled (Someone like you) and was performed by its writer Declan O’Rourke. It is downloadable in mp3 format for a mere 69p from, erm, that “big river” co.uk. I hope this helps anyone else like JT Effect and me who were stunned by the song.

Thank you very much, logjammer - and welcome :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Monroe is abysmal, james nesbitt is basically playing a character who is more akin to frank carson as a neurologist ........absolutely rank. :confused:
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monroe is abysmal, james nesbitt is basically playing a character who is more akin to frank carson as a neurologist ........absolutely rank. :confused:

His character is a bit ott, but I think it's a really good show - and there aren't many of them! Actually this is the best I've seen JN act.
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this the last one, did the viewing figures go down?

They surely couldn't go down much further.

Wasn't Monroe already scraping just over 2m a couple of weeks ago?
  • Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think James Nesbitt is excellent and really funny - he was also good in Murphys Law too
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,786
    Forum Member
    SybilH wrote: »

No surprise really. Shame though, really enjoyed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I think James Nesbitt is excellent and really funny - he was also good in Murphys Law too

How can you not see he is playing Mr Frank Carson consultant surgeon ?

" Your operation has been a success Mr Smith........thats a cracker and its the way I tell em......!! " (laughs hysterically at own joke whilst nobody claps)
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SybilH wrote: »

It may have been flawed but I've enjoyed the 2nd series far more than any other drama on TV at the moment. Great shame and I shall miss it. :(
  • robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointed to hear that we're not going to see more of Monroe. Thorougly enjoyed both series.

James Nesbitt played it just right and the writing was really sharp and crisp. Great locations and photography too.

This was one of the few unmissables of the week. Sad.:(
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robot wrote: »
    Very disappointed to hear that we're not going to see more of Monroe. Thorougly enjoyed both series.

James Nesbitt played it just right and the writing was really sharp and crisp. Great locations and photography too.

I agree. Im not looking for hard drama every night of the week. I work hard, and in the evenings I like to switch off my brain and be entertained. I really enjoyed Monroe, and i thought the 2nd series was a lot better than the first.

Im sad its gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    robot wrote: »

Well said, Robot & Porcupine. I, too, watch TV either for entertainment (primarily) or education (occasionally!) and the slick, witty writing was entertainment in spades. All this and British, too! Hokum? Maybe, but well-produced hokum that I will sorely miss. So long, Monroe and hasta la vista :(
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed watching it too, but I don't think I'll ever be able to look back on it with a warm feeling of affection because of the miserable way it's ended. They had us rooting for Laurence and Jenny to get together throughout the first series, only to spend the second splitting them up in the most acrimonious manner. In order to tell that story completely, I think it needed a third series to either show them reuniting with a better understanding of each other, or to come to terms with the split and move on.

As for Monroe's character, it must have been difficult for those watching to know what drives him if they didn't realise that his own marriage had fallen apart when his daughter had died after he operated on her. This must have done a lot to shape his world, so I find it slightly astonishing that such a significant event was only refered to once or twice in the first series and wasn't mentioned at all during the second. I only remembered it myself when series two was half way over.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,786
    Forum Member
    How can you not see he is playing Mr Frank Carson consultant surgeon ?

" Your operation has been a success Mr Smith........thats a cracker and its the way I tell em......!! " (laughs hysterically at own joke whilst nobody claps)

The only similarity is they are both Irish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    The only similarity is they are both Irish.

Agreed Walter . You might as well compare him with George Best. Now that's an idea , a brilliant young surgeon who is always getting drunk but still miraculously performs brain surgery
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, having belatedly watched the series I thought it was excellent and very well acted. The rapport was good with the characters and seemed genuine - you would think they would get on well off screen (I could be mistaken there though!)

A shame it won't be coming back.