Are there any Decent Small TVs???

Any ideas? In the 22" range. I don't want or need a huge television, but smaller tv's don't seem to get much attention.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I recently bought a 24" Hitachi LED from Argos of all places. I wasn't expecting much (it was to replace a failed bedroom TV), but I've actually been pretty surprised. Pic quality (once tweaked) is great. Blacks are very good. It's got two HDMI's, two USB ports, Freeview HD tuner and an Internet portal with iPlayer, Youtube and others. Cost me about £150. I've connected a Chromecast, and it works a treat. Money well spent.
  • Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tman wrote: »
    I recently bought a 24" Hitachi LED from Argos of all places. I wasn't expecting much (it was to replace a failed bedroom TV), but I've actually been pretty surprised. Pic quality (once tweaked) is great. Blacks are very good. It's got two HDMI's, two USB ports, Freeview HD tuner and an Internet portal with iPlayer, Youtube and others. Cost me about £150. I've connected a Chromecast, and it works a treat. Money well spent.

And yet I paid twice that amount for a much inferior TV of a similar size back in 2008! :eek:
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Don't know whether you want Full HD and Smart. Here's 2x24 and 2x22 inch TVs to compare. All have 2xHDMI and 1 Scart. None of them support 3D.

Sony KDL-24W605A: LED, Freeview HD and Freesat HD tuners, 1366x768, Smart, 1xUSB, Can be used as a PVR. £300 at J.Lewis with free 5yr gtee.

Panasonic TX-L24X6B: LED, Freeview HD, 1366x768, Smart, 2xUSB, Can't be used as a PVR. £270 at JL.

Samsung UE22F5400: LED, Freeview HD, 1920x1080, Smart, 2xUSB, Can be used as a PVR. £230 at JL but will price match £200 at Crampton and Moore.

Samsung UE22F5000: LED, Freeview HD, 1920x1080, Not Smart, 1xUSB, Can't be used as a PVR. £168 at Co-op, £172 at Amazon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Don't know whether you want Full HD and Smart. Here's 2x24 and 2x22 inch TVs to compare. All have 2xHDMI and 1 Scart.

Sony KDL-24W605A: LED, Freeview HD and Freesat HD tuners, 1366x768, Smart, 1xUSB, Can be used as a PVR. £300 at J.Lewis with free 5yr gtee.

Panasonic TX-L24X6B: LED, Freeview HD, 1366x768, Smart, 2xUSB, Can't be used as a PVR. £270 at JL.

Samsung UE22F5400: LED, Freeview HD, 1920x1080, Smart, 2xUSB, Can be used as a PVR. £230 at JL but will price match £200 at Crampton and Moore.

Samsung UE22F5000, LED, Freeview HD, 1920x1080, Not Smart, 1xUSB, Can't be used as a PVR. £168 at Co-op, £172 at Amazon.
    Only problem is with the PVR function ones, you can't record one programme whilst watching another. :(
    Forum Member
    Only problem is with the PVR function ones, you can't record one programme whilst watching another. :(

Well obviously! But you can pause live TV and record progs/series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well obviously! But you can pause live TV and record progs/series.
    Useful for when going on holiday I suppose! :cool: Are there ANY Freeview HD TV sets that DO let you record one programme whilst watching another? :confused:
    Forum Member
    4 Panasonics: http://www.techradar.com/news/television/panasonic-adds-twin-hd-tuners-to-its-tv-line-up-1130612

I've been using a 320GB HDD with my Samsung and find it a very useful and cheap recording option. Can pause live TV for up to 90 mins and very handy recording progs overnight or when I'm on the net and can't be bothered with TV. Got 11 of my favourite films on the disk using up 69.7GB with 228.5GB still available.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I will have a look at your recommendation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 Panasonics: http://www.techradar.com/news/television/panasonic-adds-twin-hd-tuners-to-its-tv-line-up-1130612

I've been using a 320GB HDD with my Samsung and find it a very useful and cheap recording option. Can pause live TV for up to 90 mins and very handy recording progs overnight or when I'm on the net and can't be bothered with TV. Got 11 of my favourite films on the disk using up 69.7GB with 228.5GB still available.

I'm pleased for you on that basis. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I've always liked Samsung TV's, and was about to go with a UE22F5400. but its 2" smaller screen than the Hitachi I got and was about £70 more expensive. I liked the smart portal on the Samsung, and it had built in wifi, but for a bedroom TV that isn't used that much, I just saved a few notes, and got a bigger screen. Don't regret it now, and I've still got my 51" Samsung plasma in the lounge!
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Useful for when going on holiday I suppose! :cool: Are there ANY Freeview HD TV sets that DO let you record one programme whilst watching another? :confused:

If you want to do that, the gen rule is (as with larger "main" TV's) to buy a PVR, choose from Sky+, Freesat+, Freeview+, and theres a cable option too. These can do HD quality too, just make sure you buy the right one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    If you want to do that, the gen rule is (as with larger "main" TV's) to buy a PVR, choose from Sky+, Freesat+, Freeview+, and theres a cable option too. These can do HD quality too, just make sure you buy the right one.
    That I get, but are there ANY TVs at all in existance that have a PVR built in with what I just mentioned.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That I get, but are there ANY TVs at all in existance that have a PVR built in with what I just mentioned.

There used to be at least a couple of TVs a few years ago that had a built-in hard drive/PVR - Humax and Samsung I think.
    They were discontinued mainly for lack of demand and being able to record only one channel.

In any event, with the thinness of sets now is there space for a hard drive.
    Forum Member

Apart from the 4 Pannys I mentioned in Post #8 that aren't available in the UK there's the Samsung UE55F9000 which has twin Freeview HD tuners and twin Freesat HD tuners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the 4 Pannys I mentioned in Post #8 that aren't available in the UK there's the Samsung UE55F9000 which has twin Freeview HD tuners and twin Freesat HD tuners.
    So, in theory, you could actually record TWO programmes at once whilst watching another, one off Freeview and one off Freesat?
    Forum Member
    So, in theory, you could actually record TWO programmes at once whilst watching another, one off Freeview and one off Freesat?

You'd have to check the specs and see how the recordings are organised. I dunno whether it would record 2 (or even 3 if you watched with one tuner and had 3 others at your disposal) progs to the same HDD at the same time but I doubt it.

Mind you, it's a very hefty premium to pay just to have all those tuners onboard. Think how many standalone twin tuner HDD PVRs you could buy for £2000!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd have to check the specs and see how the recordings are organised. I dunno whether it would record 2 (or even 3 if you watched with one tuner and had 3 others at your disposal) progs to the same HDD at the same time but I doubt it.

Mind you, it's a very hefty premium to pay just to have all those tuners onboard. Think how many standalone twin tuner HDD PVRs you could buy for £2000!!
    If money was no object, I wouldn't even stop to think and take what you just said into consideration! :D
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This seems to have been discontinued.
  • the power kingthe power king Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know whether you want Full HD and Smart. Here's 2x24 and 2x22 inch TVs to compare. All have 2xHDMI and 1 Scart. None of them support 3D.

Samsung UE22F5000: LED, Freeview HD, 1920x1080, Not Smart, 1xUSB, Can't be used as a PVR. £168 at Co-op, £172 at Amazon.
    i Wood go for the Sony 24
    I got this Sony 32 https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zZ9-wq_cdh4 in Jan it is Suprbem With Sky Hd Just got Sony Blue ray Bdp s1200 as above with Freevwiew Hd i want to get A Smiler Sony Led with Freeview hd Next for Bedroom still got an Sony 14 Crt With Sky Sd Box DVD /V C R
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant find what i want either,
    23-26in
    full hd 1920x1080p
    freeview hd tuner
    3 hdmi ports
    led backlit
    smart
    headphone socket
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    While we're at it:
    Looking for a portable for use in a motorhome.
    Freeview and Freesat (for when the aerial signal is inadequate), 12vDC power option (or external transformer with 12vDC feed to TV), around 24" widescreen. With or without "smart", PVR etc extras.
    The Sony above alludes to having DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-C and DVB-S2 tuners but I believe these are regional options, UK sellers not mentioning Freesat.

(edit: Motohome does have mains sockets when fed from site hookup and we have a 100W inverter, but to have the direct option would be more convenient, as would not using a STB for satellite as that would require two power feeds, these in short supply.)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    nvingo wrote: »
    The Sony above alludes to having DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-C and DVB-S2 tuners but I believe these are regional options, UK sellers not mentioning Freesat.

No Sony sets have Freesat any more, and haven't for a number of years - however, many do contain 'non-UK' satellite receivers and presumably could be manually tuned to the FTA UK channels?. But the satellite option is completely ignored in the specifications, the instructions, and the service manuals :D
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Sony sets have Freesat any more, and haven't for a number of years - however, many do contain 'non-UK' satellite receivers and presumably could be manually tuned to the FTA UK channels?. But the satellite option is completely ignored in the specifications, the instructions, and the service manuals :D

Is that why some have an F connector as well as a conventional aerial socket?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Is that why some have an F connector as well as a conventional aerial socket?

Yes, exactly.