Options

Food banks see 'shocking' rise in number of users - 913 000 food parcels - 51% rise

Comments

• Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every system can be and is exploited. Every system has holes in it.

If some folk think by displaying such (which can be done to absolutely anything in this world) it some how denigrates the need of the majority using the service, you've got another thing coming. Pull the other one. Every man and his dog knows that crude, kindergarden tactic.
  • Options
    Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Every system can be and is exploited. Every system has holes in it.

If some folk think by displaying such (which can be done to absolutely anything in this world) it some how denigrates the need of the majority using the service, you've got another thing coming. Pull the other one. Every man and his dog knows that crude, kindergarden tactic.

Nothing wrong in exposing the holes in the system though. If they are fixed it means more is available to the genuine needy.

But that doesn't fit your agenda.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may prove useful to remember that on the 18th December 2013, 294 UK MPs voted against holding an investigation into Hunger and Food Poverty in the United Kingdom.

Mine isn't but is your Member of Parliament here?

Mr Andrew Uppal

Paul Vaizey

Mr Edward Vara
    I think you mean
    Uppal, Paul. MP for Wolverhampton South West
    Vaizey, Edward. MP for Didcot and Wantage

My MP is Edward Vaizey.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayceef1 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong in exposing the holes in the system though. If they are fixed it means more is available to the genuine needy.

But that doesn't fit your agenda.

Tighten it up too much, though, and some of the genuine needy tend to fall through the net. As long it's a small minority who scam the system then perhaps that's the price we have to pay. No matter what state systems we have in place, from the Royal Family and politicians downwards, some people will always try to get what they can for nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    You're inferring something that has never been said.
    Because the post I was originally replying to used the term implicit.
    Implicit can mean suggested though not directly expressed.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone who works at CAB, and she says one of the biggest increases in the need to use food banks is because of the changes to the way people get benefits, and in particular because of delays between them becoming eligible for state help, and them actually getting it.

If they or foodbanks were required to check if a person was on benefits and what sort of benefits they were, it would only slow things down at both ends. Can you imagine:

Person: I need help, because I've recently lost my job, got no money, my kids are starving and it's going to be another fortnight until my benefits come through.
    Advisor: Please fill out this form, and come back in five days time so we can check if you really are registered for benefits.

There is a chance that some people might lie on their forms, but how many times would they manage that before the staff notice? Is it really a big problem that some people who don't really need it, get given a packet of value rice?

On the other hand, to stop a few chancers from getting a few packets of cheap rice, we should introduce extra red tape that would push up overall costs, slow down the process and make sure that the poor and desperate are even more humiliated than they are now.

I thought this government was against red tape? They are when it comes to big companies having to comply with environmental legislation.

I thought the Daily Mail hated "pen pushers"?
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    i wouldnt want people to give to foodbanks if i were poor. I dont give to them on principal. Government should give enough for ppl to survive without these.
  • Options
    Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may prove useful to remember that on the 18th December 2013, 294 UK MPs voted against holding an investigation into Hunger and Food Poverty in the United Kingdom.

Mine isn't but is your Member of Parliament here?

Adams, Nigel Afriyie

Adam Aldous

Peter Amess

Mr David Andrew

Stuart Bacon

It might help if most of the MP's on your list actually existed. :confused:

I think you have had a formatting error...
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might help if most of the MP's on your list actually existed. :confused:

I think you have had a formatting error...

Well I did copy it from the posted replies to this:

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/national/national-shame

So, it looks like we were both deceived. Sorry for the error. :blush:
  • Options
    Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I did copy it from the posted replies to this:

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/national/national-shame

So, it looks like we were both deceived. Sorry for the error. :blush:

Er.. I see where you have gone wrong. You have expected to get truthful information from the bnp web site! :o
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise that's a spoof article

And gummy mummy's quote missed the best bit of the "article"
    Both Lord Pecksniff and Jevin Sir-Beaverbrooke Gradgrind were invited to appear in front of Holyrood's welfare reform committee but declined due to Scotlandshire being too cold, too far away, potentially dangerous and irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    And gummy mummy's quote missed the best bit of the "article"

And this footnote

This site contains news items which are often ridiculous, generally ficticious, entirely ill-informed and simultaneously biased in favour of the status quo and against
    the Scottish National Party, the Scottish Government and Scottish Independence in particular. Any similarity with other national broadcasters is entirely unfortunate.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise that's a spoof article

No I didn't realise.

I thought the BBC could be trusted, so it's my own fault for not checking and/or for not reading the article properly.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The words are not used to describe the worst examples, they are used when referring to people on benefits to describe people on benefits, there is no mention of the deserving poor when talking about benefits only the undeserving, so it is implict those on benfits are undeserving. They also rely on the media that supports them, media headlines based on DWP briefings are the cheerleaders as far as portraying people on benefits as shirkers and scroungers.

That might have made sense in your head, but I sure as hell can't see it. You've made at least three assumptions in your opening sentence.
    Talk about starting with a conclusion and trying to make the facts fit it :o
    David Cameron Times interview 2010 after becoming Prime MInister "There is no way of dealing with an 11 per cent budget deficit just by hitting either the rich or the welfare scrounger,"

What's wrong with that quote? It's 100% accurate isn't it?

David Cameron "We back the workers; they back the shirkers."

Using party political one-line rhyming soundbites!! Talk about finding out what's to scrape once you've scraped through the bottom of the barrel.
    George Osborne's speech Conservative Conference 2012 "Where is the fairness, we ask, for the shift-worker, leaving home in the dark hours of the early morning, who looks up at the closed blinds of their next door neighbour sleeping off a life on benefits?"

So basically what you're saying is that unless a politician quantifies every comment by detailing exactly who they might be talking about you can't make the distinction or associate it as being a continuence of a logical flow of previous comments.
    George Osborne Autumn Statement “But fairness is also about being fair to the person who leaves home every morning to go out to work and sees their neighbour still asleep, living a life on benefits."

As above
    Ian Duncan Smith on Remploy “Is it a kindness to stick people in some factory where they are not doing any work at all? Just making cups of coffee? I promise you this is better."

I'm not sure how this quote is even relevant. It sounds like he's discussing the merit (or lack of) of simply creating non jobs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Who says they are, were are all these manual jobs that you talk about. And all the charities are saying the same that there is a real problem about alot of people needing food banks, and i cannot see why all the charities would be lying

Service industry, construction sites, local councils (every street cleaner in my borough is from Eastern Europe, well almost every:blush::D), and so on.:p

Why wouldn't these charities lie, they rely on tragedies to top up their reserves or just hold extra cash. When the Icelandic Bank went down it went down with most of the cash held there from Councils and some of the most powerful charities in this country. Every day these charities ask the gullible to donate money so that little Ferdos can eat one meal a day, drink a glass of clean water or be immunised against something or another, you would have thought with all the money they have collected over the years that continent would be collecting money for us by now, where does all this money go, why is it still necessary to pull at our hart string for cash by showing kids in distress?

As for FoodBanks, a few month ago my local Tesco was asking shoppers to buy an extra item and donate it to Foodbank charities, it made me feel sick that a supermarket who chucks food away at the end of each day was asking it's customers still to line it's pockets by providing for those who were facing hardship, you couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Service industry, construction sites, local councils (every street cleaner in my borough is from Eastern Europe, well almost every:blush::D), and so on.:p

Why wouldn't these charities lie, they rely on tragedies to top up their reserves or just hold extra cash. When the Icelandic Bank went down it went down with most of the cash held there from Councils and some of the most powerful charities in this country. Every day these charities ask the gullible to donate money so that little Ferdos can eat one meal a day, drink a glass of clean water or be immunised against something or another, you would have thought with all the money they have collected over the years that continent would be collecting money for us by now, where does all this money go, why is it still necessary to pull at our hart string for cash by showing kids in distress?

As for FoodBanks, a few month ago my local Tesco was asking shoppers to buy an extra item and donate it to Foodbank charities, it made me feel sick that a supermarket who chucks food away at the end of each day was asking it's customers still to line it's pockets by providing for those who were facing hardship, you couldn't make it up.

And who is to say that uk people did not apply for these jobs, Could well be that most these jobs could be on zero hour contracts, which even the DWP dont count as real jobs, because there is no gaurantee of hours or pay, people need to know were they stand to be able to work out their finances so i bet some of these people that are going to food banks are working on ZHC had have not been given enough hours or work. You seem to be saying there is loads of jobs which is not the case as was proved that over 350,000 jobs on the dwp job search site were proved to be non real there was no job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    What's wrong with that quote? It's 100% accurate isn't it?

Using party political one-line rhyming soundbites!! Talk about finding out what's to scrape once you've scraped through the bottom of the barrel.

So basically what you're saying is that unless a politician quantifies every comment by detailing exactly who they might be talking about you can't make the distinction or associate it as being a continuence of a logical flow of previous comments.

As above
    If I say Tory Scum. Am I only referring to Tories who are scum or am I implying all Tories are scum?
    If I say society needs to be fair to workers going to work each day as idle Tories sit laughing on piles of ill gotten loot. And go on to say I am going to make society fairer to workers by introducing a tax on Tories that all Tories will have to pay. Am I only referring to those Tories who are idle and have piles of ill gotten loot, even when my tax is going to be on all Tories?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    And who is to say that uk people did not apply for these jobs, Could well be that most these jobs could be on zero hour contracts, which even the DWP dont count as real jobs, because there is no gaurantee of hours or pay, people need to know were they stand to be able to work out their finances so i bet some of these people that are going to food banks are working on ZHC had have not been given enough hours or work. You seem to be saying there is loads of jobs which is not the case as was proved that over 350,000 jobs on the dwp job search site were proved to be non real there was no job.

Are you saying a hotel would rather fill the position of the chamber maid advertised by offering the job to someone who has just arrived in the country and can not speak much English, or the local council would give the street cleaning jobs to the Polish applicants out of the hundreds of local applicants?

There are lot's of jobs around at least in London if people wanted to do them. the problem is the poxy uni degrees that are being handed out like sweets are holding people back, they think that piece of paper means a desk, a chair, work computer and an office should be the least on offer before they step out of their front door .

ZHC, I and two others I worked with- worked on Zero hours contract from 2002 to 2009, the company I worked for was on government contract, odd how the opposition party is now against Zero hour contracts! We received holiday pay, sick pay and when the time came we got redundancy pay too, in fact in my case and one other we got made redundant twice by the same company. One of us did not do enough hours by choice so that he didn't have to pay his student loan back, dwp did an average earning calculation for his income to pay him his benefits.;-)

As for the 350,000 missing jobs, so an idiot who can not count gave the wrong figures,:D:blush: it won't be the first time an over enthusiastic government worker has made a mistake in massaging the figures and it won't be the last, god know how many time Gordon Brown presented us with the same figures over and over again pretending it to be new, so, what's good for the gander must be good for the goose too.:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A doctor
    A social worker
    A health visitor
    The police
    Somebody from the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

these are the people who issue food bank vouchers to those they consider are needy
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I know someone who works at CAB, and she says one of the biggest increases in the need to use food banks is because of the changes to the way people get benefits, and in particular because of delays between them becoming eligible for state help, and them actually getting it.

Later this month, the delays will be a little longer. Currently, JSA isn't payable for the first 3 days of a claim. From 28th April, that is being increased to 7 days.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Later this month, the delays will be a little longer. Currently, JSA isn't payable for the first 3 days of a claim. From 28th April, that is being increased to 7 days.

Surely the job centers should automatically give vouchers for people to get food from food banks out to everyone who has to wait 7 days for their 1st payment of JSA ?
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DM publish this story on the same day that would have been Hitler's 125th birthday- co-incidence? The DM certainly like supporting the Nazificiation of this country.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they had waited till tomorrow they could have published it on the Queen's 88th birthday.

What link would you have made then I wonder .................
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    The DM publish this story on the same day that would have been Hitler's 125th birthday- co-incidence? The DM certainly like supporting the Nazificiation of this country.

Surely only a nazi would follow Hitler's birthdays so closely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »

That has to be up there with the crassest links of all time.