Options

Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you heard the forums lately? The stuff they are talking about is just vile.

This guy hartnell fan said that there was constant worrying from fans about Morris being a hoarder & alot of older people worried about dying before they get to see certain episodes.

This guy hartnell fan spoke to at the BBC said fans ranting was the problem & then he had the gall to say maybe it be best if those fans did die as then it would shut them up & we would be having no worry from the bbc side about leaks.

I know exactly which vocal fans hes on about people like Levine & saying fans are just me me me.

To actually wishing fans die was just distasteful.

IF any of the above stuff was actually true then I agree, it's not nice at all.
    But remember that 95% of stuff written on forums, especially those sort of forums, is nothing but hogwash, hearsay and hype. And the other 5% is usually pure piffle. :)

So somebody said they spoke to somebody at the BBC did they?
    I don't believe a word of it. Proof please, not Chinese whispers.

Fans are "constantly worrying" about missing episodes being hoarded?
    Well, not this fan!
    If I'm going to worry about anything it'll be my family, my job, my home, my health, world poverty etc. You know, rational, important things like that.

The return of missing Who episodes would be very warmly welcomed by me, but let's get a little perspective here. These are old eps of an old TV show, missing for years and years, and, with still no proof of their existence at all, probably still missing anyway. Absolutely no-one will suffer if they don't come back. No-one at all. Not even if Phil Morris apparently 'hoards' things, which is one of the daftest allegations I've heard (and the list of daft rumours surrounding this whole business is a lengthy one indeed...)

Anyone who says that they are genuinely concerned that they'll die before they see Marco Polo, or feel that their life will be negatively impacted by the non-return of something that probably doesn't even exist at all really should seek professional help instantly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    IF any of the above stuff was actually true then I agree, it's not nice at all.

Here you go in plain black and white!

http://www.planetmondas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2903&p=147101#p147101
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I know that people have posted such things on message boards and forums, and you are quite right - there is it in black and white and it's vile what some people post.

But it's all he said, she said, hearsay and secondary reporting. We don't have any actual proof that, for example, Philip Morris actually said anything unpleasant - just that someone says that he did. I've dealt with the press, reporters and rumours for long enough to know that unless you hear the words from someone's mouth then anything reported to be said by them can be easily twisted and changed, especially when it comes to emotive subjects and overheated arguments such as Who fans and the thorny issue of the Missing Episodes.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Much as I would like to see more epiodes returned, I now believe that there are no complete or nearly complete stories available. At best we may get a couple of missing epiodes.. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Much as I would like to see more epiodes returned, I now believe that there are no complete or nearly complete stories available. At best we may get a couple of missing epiodes.. Hope I'm wrong.

Well some people have been adamant that Marco Polo is complete.

I dont like all this politics thats been going on behind the scenes. If they have recovered something they should get the deal done.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you heard the forums lately? The stuff they are talking about is just vile.

This guy hartnell fan said that there was constant worrying from fans about Morris being a hoarder & alot of older people worried about dying before they get to see certain episodes.

This guy hartnell fan spoke to at the BBC said fans ranting was the problem & then he had the gall to say maybe it be best if those fans did die as then it would shut them up & we would be having no worry from the bbc side about leaks.

I know exactly which vocal fans hes on about people like Levine & saying fans are just me me me.

To actually wishing fans die was just distasteful.
    Just to get this straight, an unnamed source who has an unspecified connection to the missing epsodes is alleged to have made a distasteful comment during a private conversation? And this flimsy anecdote of "vile" conduct makes you angry? Riiiiiight.:confused:
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dont like all this politics thats been going on behind the scenes. If they have recovered something they should get the deal done.

What politics, behind which scenes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to get this straight, an unnamed source who has an unspecified connection to the missing epsodes is alleged to have made a distasteful comment during a private conversation? And this flimsy anecdote of "vile" conduct makes you angry? Riiiiiight.:confused:

Makes me angry? Noooooooo.

Ive heard others it did but someone on the phone who probably wouldnt have the balls anyway to say it to someones face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    What politics, behind which scenes?

Over Marco Polo has/hasent been recovered story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over Marco Polo has/hasent been recovered story.
    The question stands: What politics, behind which scenes?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    The main rumour monger promised an announcement within 100 days about 4 months ago now - isnt it time to admit its all bollocks and he knows nothing,
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm not sure why anyone would want to hoad episodes. It's like if I had every episode stored away I have no way of watching them so what would be the point?!

I also don't know whats to gain with people asking for vasts amounts of money - pay expenses for sure but its just money greedy people. If I was the BBC and someone said "I want 10 million for 2 episodes of Dr Who" I would tell them to keep it.

I think I have come to terms that there are no more episodes out there now. I have moved on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is all hearsay and rumour, with no basis in fact as far as I'm aware.

Some people are adamant that Marco Polo has been recovered? These are people who believe their own wishful thinking. There is no proof whatsoever. If there is proof, lets see it.

As for the 'politics behind the scenes' - again the rumours are all over place and are nothing but tittle tattle and the rantings of fans who want to make themselves seem important. We were 'told' that there would be an important announcement at Easter. But this story seems, once again, to be nothing but the product of wishful thinking. Likewise, there is no proof at all of anyone hoarding episodes, of any more missing episodes being found, of any deals being done or not done.

In short, there is no evidence of any kind of any further finds. Yet.
    There might be more to come; I'm a hopeful kind of person and based on what's turned up recently I'd like to hope that more might be found. But unless anyone can provide me with concrete evidence of a find then I can't see any reason to believe any of the rumours, behind the scenes stories, and conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    The main rumour monger promised an announcement within 100 days about 4 months ago now - isnt it time to admit its all bollocks and he knows nothing,

I've just been looking at Planet Mondas, and people do seem to have started calling Scott Ferre (as he spells it there) out on his "info". For example, re: "Marco Polo" he has said both:

>TIEA had one copy, at least - and possibly one or more copies. BBCWW or BBC or BFI could have one copy - and that was restored.

and then...

>That's assuming TIEA has Marco. My own best guess is that they don't.

His reply, when challenged, to this discrepancy is a sort of: "Well, let's not worry about the details, the main point is...." statement beloved of politicians who are caught out...

>When I said that TIEA didn't have a copy, that was before I remembered about the 3-4
    >copies of Marco. So TIEA is reported to have one or more copies. [...] But
    >in any case, WHO CARES? The only thing that makes a difference is whether stories
    >have been restored or not.

And even then, he doesn't make sense. We're interested in whether the stories have been found or not. Whether, at this moment in time, they have been restored is a bit of a later question!

Scott made his ME "career" out of claiming to know details about the alleged recoveries, including how many seconds are missing from such-and-such episode, and so forth. Then when he contradicts himself, he's all about looking at the bigger picture and *not* worrying about the details!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    I've just been looking at Planet Mondas, and people do seem to have started calling Scott Ferre (as he spells it there) out on his "info". For example, re: "Marco Polo" he has said both:

>TIEA had one copy, at least - and possibly one or more copies. BBCWW or BBC or BFI could have one copy - and that was restored.

and then...

>That's assuming TIEA has Marco. My own best guess is that they don't.

His reply, when challenged, to this discrepancy is a sort of: "Well, let's not worry about the details, the main point is...." statement beloved of politicians who are caught out...

>When I said that TIEA didn't have a copy, that was before I remembered about the 3-4
    >copies of Marco. So TIEA is reported to have one or more copies. [...] But
    >in any case, WHO CARES? The only thing that makes a difference is whether stories
    >have been restored or not.

And even then, he doesn't make sense. We're interested in whether the stories have been found or not. Whether, at this moment in time, they have been restored is a bit of a later question!

Scott made his ME "career" out of claiming to know details about the alleged recoveries, including how many seconds are missing from such-and-such episode, and so forth. Then when he contradicts himself, he's all about looking at the bigger picture and *not* worrying about the details!

Scot isnt the only one who has said this about Marco.

Puqui has, Jason has & even Mike the admin of the site has all said this. They obviously have different contacts and someone obviously knows something like the Power of the daleks screening that was just random bits.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Puqui has, Jason has & even Mike the admin of the site has all said this. They obviously have different contacts and someone obviously knows something like the Power of the daleks screening that was just random bits.

I think you've missed my point. Which was to illustrate the ever-changing info given out by those self-importantly claiming to be in the know. The contradictions get so great that even the disseminators get confused about their own rumours.

The side issue about how many copies of "Marco Polo" have or haven't been found remains complete speculation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I appreciate that various people have stated that Marco Polo exists, but it doesn't matter how many say something exists if there is actually no genuine proof to back up their claims.
    They don't 'obviously' know anything. Without evidence all they are doing is repeating rumour and conjecture.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry Davey, I'm a bit unclear about your Power comment.

I've long heard the rumours about a Power screening (and the "Anneke admitted it" rumours), but was it (a) a screening of Power or (b) a screening of "random bits" of Power?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's my tenth anniversary since I registered for DS Forums! How time has flown. I suspect that this thread will run for at least another ten years ... sorry about that. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's my tenth anniversary since I registered for DS Forums! How time has flown. I suspect that this thread will run for at least another ten years ... sorry about that. :o
    The 2004 chuffnobbler thinks that you and 2009 chuffnobbler are a dandy and a clown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 2004 chuffnobbler thinks that you and 2009 chuffnobbler are a dandy and a clown.

He'd be right! :D

(Thanks, BMP. That made me chuckle)
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate that various people have stated that Marco Polo exists, but it doesn't matter how many say something exists if there is actually no genuine proof to back up their claims.
    They don't 'obviously' know anything. Without evidence all they are doing is repeating rumour and conjecture.

Maybe you missed the word "rumours" in the thread title? It's been going on for so long you'd be forgiven for forgetting.

Marco Polo has long been rumoured, since the beginning of the omnirumour to be precise, and it pre-dates the jumping on the bandwagon which we've seen in recent times. The original leak was that Marco Polo, Web of Fear and Enemy of the World were all due to be released on the same day, under the same press conference. This obviously wasn't quite what happened, but for Marco Polo to be touted back then makes many people believe it was found and just needed more work. Since then there have been many hoaxes regarding it, but due to the age of the rumours, it's pretty clear there is some truth there.

To complicate matters, the same people who leaked Marco/Web/Enemy also leaked a second batch of supposedly found episodes The Massacre, The Macra Terror and The Myth Makers at roughly the same time. They then said Marco Polo had been pushed back to that batch too. This makes as a lot of sense to me as it would have been neatly split 1 Hartnell, 2 Troughtons then 2 Hartnells and 1 Troughton. This rumour also started so early on, and was leaked by trustworthy people so is likely to be true.

Anyway, I don't think we can moan too much about proof and the like, in a thread for discussing rumours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Maybe you missed the word "rumours" in the thread title? It's been going on for so long you'd be forgiven for forgetting.

I know what you mean, cat666! :)
    But the point I was trying to make was that some of these rumours have been doing the rounds for so long now, and have been repeated and embellished so often, that some people are now treating them as fact.
    As far as I can see, anything to do with Marco, Massacre et al, is still firmly in the realms of rumour, regardless of how much we all want it to be true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    Anyway, I don't think we can moan too much about proof and the like, in a thread for discussing rumours.

Au contraire. If people demanded evidence/proof before they swallow unsubstantiated gossip, threads like this and the others elsewhere would be far more useful, and people wouldn't have to wade through pages of crap to find the facts they are after.

Discussing unsupported rumours is pointless. You might as well discuss the colour of fairies' eyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean, cat666! :)
    But the point I was trying to make was that some of these rumours have been doing the rounds for so long now, and have been repeated and embellished so often, that some people are now treating them as fact.
    As far as I can see, anything to do with Marco, Massacre et al, is still firmly in the realms of rumour, regardless of how much we all want it to be true.
    It's pretty much the same argument that always crops up during religion threads in General Discussion; belief stated as fact. If people could just get the hang of flagging unsubstantiated claims properly, these discussions would have far fewer confrontations.