• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mogwai
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna?

but now Metallica have done Glasto we could have Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and AC/DC. All are legend status

Also you missed out the Floyd after Pink. ;-)
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legend slot, usually someone over 60, so I wouldn't have the likes of Robbie Williams on that list. Some of those would prob get headliners over legend slot- U2, Prince etc

For me I think Fleetwood Mac but maybe Willie Nelson
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A reformed Abba, The Jam and The Smiths! Lol ok it'll never happen but would be amazing! Also Billy Joel, David Bowie, Ray Davies, Frankie Valli and Madonna. :-)
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Name them all here:

- Kate Bush
    - Prince
    - Mariah Carey
    - Bjork
    - Bruce Springsteen
    - U2
    - Morrissey
    - Robbie Williams
    - Pink
    - Fleetwood Mac
    - Eminem
    - Paul Macartney
    - Barbara Streisand
    - David Bowie
    - Carole King

Legend slot, all of those could probably headline.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    Some of these are more **** end than legend.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Reginald Dwight.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Springsteen headlined a few years back. The legends slot is for performers with a recognisable back catalogue but at that point in their career wouldnt be able to headline at glastonbury, Cash, Kenny Rogers, Dolly, Tom Jones (twice), Van Morrison, Tony Christie, Brian wilson. Most of the list up there could feasibly headline or wouldnt play. Eavis tends to err on the side of (perceived) easy listening or country music.

My suggestions would be, Glen Campbell but unfortunately after being diagnosed with Alzheimers that is not going to happen. Potentially Don Williams or Loretta Lynn, but I think Lionel Richie. LR I would say will be next years.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Cher would be my choice.

Not a massive fan of her music but a broad and recognisable back catalogue to get the crowd going and legendary enough to command attention.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Name them all here:

- Kate Bush
    - Prince
    - Mariah Carey
    - Bjork
    - Bruce Springsteen
    - U2
    - Morrissey
    - Robbie Williams
    - Pink
    - Fleetwood Mac
    - Eminem
    - Paul Macartney
    - Barbara Streisand
    - David Bowie
    - Carole King
    Some very strange choices there OP. I'm not sure you really get the idea of the 'legend' spot ! :D

Chris Issak would be my choice, but he's possibly too sombre for it. As Dolly said, you can't play a bunch of sad songs to a pissed up, stoned audience ! :D
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kind of "legend" chosen for the "legend" spot are performers who have had a long and hugely successful career ....

.... But who, for most of that career, would have been perceived as uncool by the Glastonbury generation.

By "Glastonbury generation" I mean festival fans who were alive when the Glasto festival started. Old enough now to be more open to and appreciative of different genres of music, even though they may not be to one's particular taste.

Disclaimer: the above is all a massive generalisation. :D

ETA: I got one. How about Tony Bennett?
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barry Manilow is always touring - he would be more suited to the 'legend' slot as opposed to definite headliners like Bowie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or Neil Diamond.

Haha, did somebody say Bowie? He'd be a dream headliner! Probably wouldn't do it now though.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or Neil Diamond.

Haha, did somebody say Bowie? He'd be a dream headliner! Probably wouldn't do it now though.

Neil Diamond was there 3 or 4 years ago.
  • robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's about time that The Moody Blues featured in the Legend Spot.

Great band, all the way back to the 60's.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Sir Cliff ever done Glastonbury
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Led Zeppelin!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil Diamond was there 3 or 4 years ago.

Was he? Missed that.

Does it have to be a first timer? I suppose that's best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, Tom Jones played in the 90's and repeated it a few years back. Neil Diamond was relatively recent though.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I could picture Jeff Lynne/ELO getting a fantastic reaction on the Pyramid stage, especially on a sunny afternoon - he did a great set at one of the Children In Need shows last year.

How about Barry Gibb? He did a solo tour, I think it was late last year. A bit of Bee Gees music would be great for an afternoon dance!

Maybe Paul Rodgers or Bad Company, although he/they could probably get a different billing.

Please NO to Mariah Carey though... I'm all for diversity at festivals, but for me she embodies pretty much everything that Glastonbury is NOT about!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Ringo Starr and one of his all starr bands would be a great one for the sunday afternoon slot. I saw him a couple of years ago, really good show very entertaining. Can just imagine the worthy farm crowd singing along to Yellow Submarine!
    He probably wouldnt hang around to give out autographs afterwards though......
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cher would be good. It needs to be someone with a recognisable back catalogue.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if Kylie will ever play Glasto. Of course we know she was going to but then she sadly became very ill. But I wonder why she's never done it since? Would be cool to see Kylie at Glastonbury. :)
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Cher would be good. It needs to be someone with a recognisable back catalogue.

Cher would be a headline act..not the legends spot.