Which bug/'feature' annoys you MOST?

Comments

• TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    Stands back and waits for the shrapnel :D:D:D

Yes.

It's a pity that people post from the extreme ends of the spectrum - at least in the form of factual statements that it's perfect/rubbish.

It's a very complex piece of kit that has some teething issues.

If Humax do a good job on the first main update (and they've taken so long I think we're entitled to something pretty good that wraps up most of the soluble problems), then it will be an excellent piece of kit. If the update is just -ho-hum it will merely be adequate to good. (Andpersonally I'll still be happy with it. :)
  • germanycallinggermanycalling Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tern wrote: »
    Yes.

It's a pity that people post from the extreme ends of the spectrum - at least in the form of factual statements that it's perfect/rubbish.

If Humax do a good job on the first main update (and they've taken so long I think we're entitled to something pretty good that wraps up most of the soluble problems), then it will be an excellent piece of kit. If the update is just -ho-hum it will merely be adequate to good. (Andpersonally I'll still be happy with it. :)

Spot on IMHO ! My main gripe is it could really do with some more processing grunt so that the remote control commands were more responsive when in the EPG. That ain't going to be fixed with software methinks!

I would like to have a slow rewind as well as a slow forwards.

I hope the wiping of scheduled recordings after a Non-Freesat scan is fixed in the update.

The pause/ slow bar is an annoyance, it often masks exactly what you are trying to see eg the terms and conditions on adverts. A small pause or slow icon hidden in a corner would be better.

Compared to my previous HD box it is very stable in the way I use it, including using Astra 1. I record a lot. I archive a lot and it behaves! To be honest this forum has helped that too :)
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The pause/ slow bar is an annoyance, it often masks exactly what you are trying to see eg the terms and conditions on adverts. A small pause or slow icon hidden in a corner would be better.

Hi GC if you press the pause button and then the exit button it clears the progress bar
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi GC if you press the pause button and then the exit button it clears the progress bar

OOOh, Ta muchly! Another trick to play with. I will give it a road test when I get home :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Tern wrote: »
    Yes.

I think here you have summed up my attitude - regarding the potential for excellence should they get the update right - with the exception I wouldn't be as happy as you might be with it, should the update be "ho hum". I'm hoping for something very special from the update too.

Patrick
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member

You mean you watch adverts?!! One of the main reasons I have the machine is to skim through them as fast as possible :D:D

Patrick
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never knew that either Gas. You seem to find these wee quirky things I don't notice.....like the way to go back to previous channel too. Got any more? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    A new one came to light last night - the new channel scan. Box comes out of standby and, briefly, shows a 'do you want to rescan now' box. The default is 'yes' and if you don't grab the remote and hit right/ok quickly enough it defaults to the scan. If fumble then you lose all channel info and don't get guide data.

It's done it to me a few times now. Hopefully it doesn't happen if the box is recording but hard to be sure. This doesn't seem very user friendly - an option not to get the notifications would be good or at least to default to 'no' rather than yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean you watch adverts?!! One of the main reasons I have the machine is to skim through them as fast as possible :D:D

Patrick

For shame, occasionally yes :o The forwards two minutes button gets a lot of use too! However some of the terms and conditions are good for a laugh :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Caz42 wrote: »
    Never knew that either Gas. You seem to find these wee quirky things I don't notice.....like the way to go back to previous channel too. Got any more? :)

as a newcomer to these forums could you please give a reminder as to how to go back to previous channel.
    I use this facility on my freeview Pace Twin and find it very useful.
    thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charlo wrote: »
    as a newcomer to these forums could you please give a reminder as to how to go back to previous channel.
    I use this facility on my freeview Pace Twin and find it very useful.
    thanks

If you press the ibutton and leave the iplate showing and then press the back button it will take you to the previous viewed channel. Then press the exit button to clear the iplate
  • suffolktoonsuffolktoon Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    Stands back and waits for the shrapnel :D:D:D
    I've never seen TIVO in action so all I can compare it with is Sky HD. I prefer the Humax box much more. I especially like the way that it gives you the HD equivalent if one exists when you record a program. The folders for all episodes of a series is great. I suppose it would be nice if you could delete whenever you like but with my viewing pattern I'm usually watching when nothing is being recorded.

I honestly haven't had any major issue with this box since I bought it. I hadn't that many with Sky HD to be fair, although I do recall having to power everything it off now and again when it got stuck. My wife used to get failed recordings with Sky HD bit so far there hasn't been any of that with this box. I did manage to almost fill the disk with the BBC HD trailer. I haven't managed that since so I'm assuming I either made the wrong choice on the EPG or I have never managed to replicate the key sequence that caused that since.

Bob Cat told us that the RF out was not enabled before the boxes were released. Knowing that did not stop me buying this box.

The question that only time will tell is whether the boxes are robust. So many people have had so many problems with their Sky HD box. I don't think there has been many horror stories on here about repeated hardware failures with this excellent piece of kit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Hello,

Got to this a bit late... there's definitely more than one of us :)
    We share your frustration at not having Freesat at parity with the other platforms and soon we'll update our blog with some articles explaining how we commission projects and what's coming on Freesat (as well as the other platforms).

I can't reveal anything yet, but there are 2 major projects that are coming on Freesat and they are very exciting. The platform is capable of a few new shiny things and we want to explore them and give Freesat users some great interactive experiences.

Other teams are working on new content and updates for the other platforms, and there's a group of people working on sparkly new platforms trying to explore what our services could evolve to be. Plus we're working on digital switchover (which is a vast and complex project). We haven't neglected Freesat, I promise you, and when we're able we'll announce it all on the blog.

Sorry to be vague and mysterious, we do really value all of your input and comment and we'll do our best to make sure everyone gets the most out of the BBC's interactive content.

Cheers and happy Friday
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Got to this a bit late... there's definitely more than one of us :)
    We share your frustration at not having Freesat at parity with the other platforms and soon we'll update our blog with some articles explaining how we commission projects and what's coming on Freesat (as well as the other platforms)........
    Always nice to hear from the BBCi Tech Team, it's a pity that the ITV Tech Team don't participate actively in these forums.

Here's a link to the Blog mentioned above, for those that haven't found it yet Press Red

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Forgot to say thanks for this, Works a treat! :)
    If you press the ibutton and leave the iplate showing and then press the back button it will take you to the previous viewed channel. Then press the exit button to clear the iplate

Thanks for confirming my sanity! I was sure I had made the back button work, but I couldn't remember the button sequence! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say thanks for this, Works a treat! :)

Thanks for confirming my sanity! I was sure I had made the back button work, but I couldn't remember the button sequence! :D

you're welcome ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most irritating thing is the box not having a problem serious enough to bang on about in the forums.

It is an excellent piece of kit.

You a very lucky person, obviously you have never had cause to try to delete a recording whilst the box is recording.

My workaround is to rename the program and then at least I can tell what I did want to delete. Anyone got an easier workaround ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    You a very lucky person, obviously you have never had cause to try to delete a recording whilst the box is recording.

My workaround is to rename the program and then at least I can tell what I did want to delete. Anyone got an easier workaround ?

Where does luck come into it? I can't understand why people are filling their hard disk right up to nearly full and then, in an emergency, trying to delete programs to make some space, whilst a recording is going on. If a nearly full disk isn't an issue, then why don't you just wait until the recording is finished and then delete an unwanted programme?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    LesU wrote: »
    Where does luck come into it? I can't understand why people are filling their hard disk right up to nearly full and then, in an emergency, trying to delete programs to make some space, whilst a recording is going on. If a nearly full disk isn't an issue, then why don't you just wait until the recording is finished and then delete an unwanted programme?
    Its not that difficult to get caught out with a nearly full disk.
    Neither is it unreasonable to be able to delete a file while the box is recording.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Problem is not getting full - I keep between 60 and 70% if I can, problem is I can't remember what I wanted to delete. With recordings for the whole family it gets problematic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Like to be able to transfer more than 4G to the USB espec., now that the BBC don't "No Copy" flag all their HD recordings (eg BBC4 Sessions; Marianne Faithfull).
  • carvellcarvell Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not a Humax limitation, that's a FAT32 limitation.

The only way Humax would be able to get round it is to implement NTFS, which would cost a load to licence from Microsoft.

Format your USB stick to ext3 and you can transfer files as big as you like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    My biggest gripe is that many features are not intuitive. A decent manual would help but it is crying out for some small changes.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Easiest work around is put larger hard drive in. Thats not Humax's fault entirely. yes they should have a bigger model available but equally, you knew the size when you bought it.

Do as I did and put a 1TB drive in (dedicated PVR drive NOT a pc drive) and you won't regret it.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on IMHO ! My main gripe is it could really do with some more processing grunt so that the remote control commands were more responsive when in the EPG. That ain't going to be fixed with software methinks!

I have to agree. Given the ridiculous price of even some very powerful dual core processors now and the bulk buying power of a manufacturer such as Humax, there really is no excuse for manufacturers to be putting PII 300mhz processors and the like in electronic equipment when for a cost of £2 or £3 extra they be putting something like Athlon 64 X2 processors in the 3 GHZ + range.

The most annoying thing about my Blu Ray player at home is the length of time it takes to process everything when my friends PS3 just spins up Blu Ray like lightening. Would I really have not bought it because it cost £302 instead of £299 but was 10 times as fast at reading disks?