What has happened to the promised Foxsat HDR upgrade?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    boyzie wrote: »
    Originally Posted by rent-a-nuke View Post
    If the Humax is active but off (ie recording whilst in stand-by) and I turn it and my Panasonic TV on, I have to navigate away to HDMI 1 then back to HDMI 2 for a picture to appear.

Same with my Panny but changing the Foxsat channel usually does the job.
    I shall give that a try, cheers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I see a notice on the DTG website that states that they will not be accepting new firmware updates for transmission in the period 15/12 - 4/1 . Seems unlikely, then, that we will see the promised upgrade until the New Year:cry:
    DTG link
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fat-tony wrote: »
    I see a notice on the DTG website that states that they will not be accepting new firmware updates for transmission in the period 15/12 - 4/1 . Seems unlikely, then, that we will see the promised upgrade until the New Year:cry:
    DTG link

Hopefully it will apear on the website soon,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fat-tony wrote: »
    DTG link

If you were Humax would you start transmitting new firmware for a stable product just before Xmas ? They would have to be mad. Best we can hope is they release on website before Xmas and let us take the risk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    If you were Humax would you start transmitting new firmware for a stable product just before Xmas ? They would have to be mad. Best we can hope is they release on website before Xmas and let us take the risk.

It only takes one unhappy punter to create a lot of noise. If you were Humax would you release new firmware on your website before Xmas and take the risk of bad publicity?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    If I were humax I would have measured twice and cut once.:)
  • gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hillel wrote: »
    It only takes one unhappy punter to create a lot of noise. If you were Humax would you release new firmware on your website before Xmas and take the risk of bad publicity?

Why not its up to the customer then just give a warning that any updating from the website is at the owners own risk.Bring on the recording from the buffer.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They do have their Beta site, not much publicity created by a bug in a Beta.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member

What! Before Christmas or on March the 13th...

No matter what day they choose to send the upgrade, if it f***'s up, it'll effect me I use the system every single day... Humax don't listen, just send it as soon as its ready, even if that's 11:59 new years eve!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    wiimunkee wrote: »
    What! Before Christmas or on March the 13th...

No matter what day they choose to send the upgrade, if it f***'s up, it'll effect me I use the system every single day... Humax don't listen, just send it as soon as its ready, even if that's 11:59 new years eve!

I've only just noticed this thread: I agree with wiimunkee to hold back any update until Humax are certain it won't mess up existing boxes.

What I do find unacceptable is I have been emailing Humax for around 6 weeks about the reasons for not transmitting around the end of October as first mentioned by Humax. The story I have been told was that they were waiting to agree a slot for transmission of the update not that it was unready to be transmitted. What price truth?

Mike
  • terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bontfaen wrote: »
    I've only just noticed this thread: I agree with wiimunkee to hold back any update until Humax are certain it won't mess up existing boxes.

What I do find unacceptable is I have been emailing Humax for around 6 weeks about the reasons for not transmitting around the end of October as first mentioned by Humax. The story I have been told was that they were waiting to agree a slot for transmission of the update not that it was unready to be transmitted. What price truth?

Mike

Bobcat has recently posted that extra tests needed to be carried out to ensure that the upgrade was stable before releasing it.
  • terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Humax is active but off (ie recording whilst in stand-by) and I turn it and my Panasonic TV on, I have to navigate away to HDMI 1 then back to HDMI 2 for a picture to appear.

If I switch my Foxsat HDR on from standby(while recording) and switch my panny TV on the TV first shows the inbuilt Freesat picture which immediately switches to HDMI once the PVR is fully booted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just my (poor) attempt at a joke - and I meant to say Saorsat. :o

Of course I am aware that Humax have no control over the Freesat EPG. It would be nice if Humax made it easier to access non-Freesat Channels. It would be better still if the HDR supported whatever middleware Saorsat will use, in non-Freesat mode. I expect that middleware to be very close to what Freesat use. I don't expect any of that to happen, and that is not a criticism of Humax.

(I'll get back in my box, now. :cry:)

I can't see the Foxsat supporting Saorsat in non-Freesat mode either at all, or anything other than awkwardly. Again, Saorsat is going to be Ka-band and not on 28E. You'll need either two dishes and a switch or a positioner (that the Foxsat doesn't support) as well as changing the LO frequency every time.
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any chance that the "Also in HD" badge will be fixed so that it only shows on programmes that are actually in HD (as opposed to upscaled)? If not in the update coming, in a future one? My Panasonic Freesat HD TV (early 2010 series) acts as I describe (in what a moment's thought will show you is the more sane way), so will the FOXSAT?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzer wrote: »
    Is there any chance that the "Also in HD" badge will be fixed so that it only shows on programmes that are actually in HD (as opposed to upscaled)? If not in the update coming, in a future one? My Panasonic Freesat HD TV (early 2010 series) acts as I describe (in what a moment's thought will show you is the more sane way), so will the FOXSAT?

I get the impression that the HDR uses the EPG flags to show EPG information and may well not know if a programme is upscaled until it is being broadcast. Does anyone know for sure?
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they'll fix the bug (that I haven't seen mentioned) whereby if you press 'OK' on an HD channel to record or set a series link it tells you that the programme is also available in HD and makes you select HD/SD.

And the brain dead behaviour whereby it doesn't select the screensaver when in the guide or media list - the very times it would be most useful if your screen was prone to burn-in.

And the excessive persistence of the info bar which means that if you skip the adverts the stupid thing sits there obliterating the credits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll fix the bug (that I haven't seen mentioned) whereby if you press 'OK' on an HD channel to record or set a series link it tells you that the programme is also available in HD and makes you select HD/SD.

I don't mind this - useful if you want to conserve recording space.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    I get the impression that the HDR uses the EPG flags to show EPG information and may well not know if a programme is upscaled until it is being broadcast. Does anyone know for sure?

Well, my Freesat Panasonic IDTV has the correct behaviour (not showing the flag for upscaled programmes) - but its PVR functionality was too limited (only one tuner).

I fully understand why it happens, from looking in the user guide - the PVR was obviously made when BBC HD was the only channel. But now we have two HD simulcast channels, the behaviour REALLY needs to be changed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzer wrote: »
    Well, my Freesat Panasonic IDTV has the correct behaviour (not showing the flag for upscaled programmes) - but its PVR functionality was too limited (only one tuner).......

Can you confirm It shows you this in advance of the programme being transmitted, also for a programme that is not the next programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I can confirm that - it shows the "also in HD" symbol correctly for all programmes in the EPG, though oddly, it does not show a description for non-now/next programmes, when the Humax does (don't know quite what's up with that).

It goes without saying that I would also like the box that asks you if you want to record it in HD or SD to only appear on true HD programmes as well (rather than upscaled ones).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know if its too late to do it but Id love for the EPG to show the start of a new series in a different coloured font.

Im always missing the 1st eps because theres so many repeats about that they are difficult to find.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    I dont know if its too late to do it but Id love for the EPG to show the start of a new series in a different coloured font.

Im always missing the 1st eps because theres so many repeats about that they are difficult to find.

I second this as well.

I'd also like to see keyword searches retained at least for a minimum period as when you're trying to record a specific programme you missed and it doesn't appear in the EPG as its not retransmitted immediately, its a pain to have to type the same search dialogue in again on a daily basis unitl its re-transmitted which can be weeks later!

It would be great to have choice between going to a list of previous recent search terms entered and selecting the search term from a list or going to the type box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also like to see keyword searches retained at least for a minimum period as when you're trying to record a specific programme you missed and it doesn't appear in the EPG as its not retransmitted immediately, its a pain to have to type the same search dialogue in again on a daily basis unitl its re-transmitted which can be weeks later!
    I agree on the idea, but given it'll search 7 days into the future, you don't need to search every day - just every 7 days. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »

How would you define a new series - unless the broadcaster already broadcasts an indicator - all you have to go on a weeks epg data and the current schedule.
  • germanycallinggermanycalling Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shock, Horror a message popped up on mine early this morning "Would you like to search for NEW SOFTWARE? My instant reaction was it can't possibly the update on New Year's Day, surely? I accepted the prompt ...............and ....................... it wasn't! I assume it was doing the housekeeping. Normally never have it on at 03:05 UK time :sleep:
    Has anyone else seen this message before?