Word feature

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can get word to do this (in any version):

If I type a paragraph on page one can I get it to automatically appear in a table on page 20 (this is just as an example). I don't to want to copy paste it I want it to have exactly the same text all the time in two places.

Thanks

Comments

• chris_elevatechris_elevate Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks
  • Janey123Janey123 Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Not quite sure I fully understand what you're trying to do.

Is it in a table on page 1?

You could put the text in a header/footer on page 1 and then link the header/footer in page 20 to the header/footer in page 1

Why don't you want to copy and paste? That seems the simplest thing to do.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a contents or index?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for replies.

Ok.... basically. One big word document with a first page that has one big table on it. On it it has lots of paragraphs that then appear one at a time on each page.

Because the front page will change every so often and rather than having to copy and paste it is there not a way it can stay up to date with everything automatically?

Thanks
  • raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need an index...check out Word Help on how to do this.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you might be able to do it with a contents type thing - it's a field code after all - there may be a way of utilising the contents table functionality without the text necessarily looking like a table of contents.

Another way would be to create a series of individual documents - page 1 with the table, page 2 etc being separate docs in their own right. Look up Master/Sub documents in the help.

Then, you can select the para from the page of the other docs, do a Copy to clipboard, go to the table in the 1st doc, select File>Paste Special... choose Paste Link, then select Formatted Text (RTF). This is using Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) to mirror the contents of one file in another.

Then if the text in the paragraphs is altered, this will be reflected in the table text. If you use the Master/Sub document layout, the whole doc can be managed (ie printed) as if it were one.

Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhhhh some really good idea there! Thanks for shedding some light on that! Thanks guys!!!!

Now you see that would make one of my tasks VERY easy. I have PowerPoints that will display the same paragraph I\ve been talking about. Are you saying that I can simply do a "paste special" and select "OLE" and it'll use the text from the word file? Wow!!!!

Can a paste special not be done using "OLE" within the same document?

Thanks again!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just given it a try across two documents but the only problem is that it keeps the font, colour and size formatting of the text in the original document. As it's going into a PowerPoint presentation is there no way to change the style of it?

Do you think there is a way to get this "Paste Link" option to work within the same document too?

Thanks
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, for the formatting, try paste special, paste link, then choose plain text, then apply some formatting within the application. Don't know if this will work - not got a windows PC at hand at the moment...

You can paste special from within the same document, but I don't think that method offers the level of granularity you're looking for.

Another way would be to put the text in cells in Excel, then copy them/paste special using plain text in other documents, PowerPoint slides etc - again not sure how the formatting will transfer over.

As a side note, if you do use OLE, be hyper aware of where files are stored, because it's dead easy to inadvertently break links by moving files between folders and so on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annoyingly there isn't an option to go for plain text within the "links" section of the paste special.