:sleep: Please read the rest of the thread before you post

And a hearty :rolleyes: to you too.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :sleep: Please read the rest of the thread before you post

And a hearty :rolleyes: to you too.

Maybe if you explained your self in the first post and why you had written it people woudnt jump on it .
  • Options
    TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe if you explained your self in the first post and why you had written it people woudnt jump on it .

Or then again...maybe you could read the few posts between mine and the last one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ireland: the only place where -

Rihanna is told to cover up in a corn field by a farmer! WHAT!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Dombo wrote: »
    Ireland: the only place where -

Rihanna is told to cover up in a corn field by a farmer! WHAT!

Too right, most other places the farmer would have wipped out his phone, snapped a few pics and flogged them to the tabloids...profit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too right, most other places the farmer would have wipped out his phone, snapped a few pics and flogged them to the tabloids...profit.

pretty sure it might not have been only his phone other farmers would have whipped out! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,685
    Forum Member
    This made me laugh, and most of it is actually very true. I never call crisps "Taytos" though and I don't recall ever being afraid of the wooden spoon :eek::confused:. In Dublin, people usually say "Ma" instead of "Mammy", especially on the north side. "Ma, will ya come he-yar for a minihh" (minute). People often refer to mams as "yer aul one"

"Here you, will ya meet me mate" - common phrase among teenagers.

Anything that's even slightly ridiculous can be described as "a load of bollox".

People's girlfriends are often reffered to as "birds" or "moths" :
    "Is that yer bird?" .. "I'm headin' into town with me moth tonight so I am".

:D Some of that might only apply to the younger generation though, I'm not too sure. Sure I'm only a wee lad myself ;)
  • Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    curlypubes wrote: »
    This made me laugh, and most of it is actually very true. I never call crisps "Taytos" though and I don't recall ever being afraid of the wooden spoon :eek::confused:. In Dublin, people usually say "Ma" instead of "Mammy", especially on the north side. "Ma, will ya come he-yar for a minihh" (minute). People often refer to mams as "yer aul one"

"Here you, will ya meet me mate" - common phrase among teenagers.

Anything that's even slightly ridiculous can be described as "a load of bollox".

People's girlfriends are often reffered to as "birds" or "moths" :
    "Is that yer bird?" .. "I'm headin' into town with me moth tonight so I am".

:D Some of that might only apply to the younger generation though, I'm not too sure. Sure I'm only a wee lad myself ;)

I now see where most Scouse expressions come from :D
    I always wondered why no one outside Liverpool understood the second meaning of 'meeting' :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I now see where most Scouse expressions come from :D
    I always wondered why no one outside Liverpool understood the second meaning of 'meeting' :p

They use meeting in parts of Yorkshire too, often shortened to a meet. Means anything from a walk with someone to a kiss, grope to full nookie. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things are "savage" over here in Ireland and the first time someone described someone as a "gas man" I wondered what their job had to do with anything!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is meant to be a ligth-hearted thread BUT my OH often points out things in the mainstream newspaper taking the pi55 out of the Irish.

He is only semi serious when he points them out, however he does have a point. It's as though the Irish are the last ethnic group you can poke fun at. Why is this OK though? :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EleKtro wrote: »
    There is nothing funny about alcoholism
    I know this is meant to be a ligth-hearted thread BUT my OH often points out things in the mainstream newspaper taking the pi55 out of the Irish.

He is only semi serious when he points them out, however he does have a point. It's as though the Irish are the last ethnic group you can poke fun at. Why is this OK though? :eek:

It bugs me when people say things about the Irish in a derogatory way but seriously a lot of those are funny because they are true (not joking!)
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Having my own lovely Mayo Mammy this thread brings loads of memories, and we were all deadly scared of the wooden spoon :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things are "savage" over here in Ireland and the first time someone described someone as a "gas man" I wondered what their job had to do with anything!

They're 'only brutal' in Dublin.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Does anyone here remember the horror of Irelands premier shows such as 'fair city' or 'upwardly mobile' ?

*shudder*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair City is still running and very popular.
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "at all, at all" :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'not at all' - meaning 'no trouble' when someone thanks you for doing something for them.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Fair City is still running and very popular.

Jesus Christ with who? the deaf, dumb & blind?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus Christ with who? the deaf, dumb & blind?

Nope. I can't stand it myself and think the acting is 'only brutal' but lots of people who I would consider to normally have good taste watch it. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I've not spent much time round the Northside of Dublin so is Sheila Chic accurate in screeching "Scarleh for yer ma" around the place? Never heard it outside Katherine Lynch's shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because the irish like a bit of craic and can have a laugh at themselves!
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it's just an Irish saying but 'Thanks a million' is used a lot but what is Irish is how it's often compressed into one word so sounds like 'Tanksamillion' and you are guaranteed to hear it from cabin crew when getting off an Aer Lingus flight.