Options

New Humax Freesat+ HDR 1000S review

Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some pictures and some of the details in this article on TechRadar:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/digital-tv-recorders/humax-freesat-hdr-1000s-1094623/review

And more info and specifications (no Wi-Fi) on the JoinFreesat website:

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/humax-first-to-launch-freesat-free-time-box/

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very shiny box which will show up the dust a treat :)

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if this box has network media player capabilities like the samsung box? As the samsung box doesnt ever seem to be getting an update of any kind never mind G2, an upgrade may be a good idea, but the media player is something I'd really miss... So handy having all in one place.

Nick
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nickdenker wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this box has network media player capabilities like the samsung box? As the samsung box doesnt ever seem to be getting an update of any kind never mind G2, an upgrade may be a good idea, but the media player is something I'd really miss... So handy having all in one place.

Nick

It has "Contents sharing via Home Networking"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    is that "in" or "out" ??

Bit vague... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nickdenker wrote: »
    is that "in" or "out" ??

Bit vague... :rolleyes:

afaik both :D
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the writer ever used Freesat before?!
    Free Time also offers some improvements on the recording side. It will offer you the HD option its available and you have the ability to daisy chain recordings so whole series can be recorded at once.
    Wow - automatically offering the option to record HD and series - haven't had that on my existing Freesat box for three years! :rolleyes:

Those hoping the EPG will be piped to existing Freesat boxes will be out of luck as the HTML5 technology used does require a whole heap of new silicon.
    It takes five seconds for my existing Humax box to display a simple text list of programmes I've recorded, and goodness knows how many seconds to delete an hour-long HD programme. Those people who think the original Humax could run something like Google Chrome (or whatever the equivalent for set top boxes is) if only Freesat would update it, must be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Interesting to see the vitriol on Freesat's facebook feed for daring to launch an improvement that can't be back-ported to the original boxes. People really are strange.

It'll be interesting to see how it compares to YouView. I guess we'll have to wait for real users to get their hands on it before we know - most of the problems with YouView discussed here were missed by the press.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    afaik both :D

at last - some sense!! Think will wait for feedback before being a first adopter again!
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    £30 extra for the 1TB seems a good deal to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    I would take that with a serious pinch of salt.

I would agree :D
  • Options
    lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    Has the writer ever used Freesat before?!
    Clearly not or they would know that 365 or whatever it's called is available on Humax but strangely is absent from the on demand menu here.
    Wow - automatically offering the option to record HD and series - haven't had that on my existing Freesat box for three years! :rolleyes:
    What it does not do is automatically opt for the HD version of all the catchup services. Unlike YouView, you have to set that up in each of the apps.
    It takes five seconds for my existing Humax box to display a simple text list of programmes I've recorded, and goodness knows how many seconds to delete an hour-long HD programme. Those people who think the original Humax could run something like Google Chrome (or whatever the equivalent for set top boxes is) if only Freesat would update it, must be living in cloud cuckoo land

Interesting to see the vitriol on Freesat's facebook feed for daring to launch an improvement that can't be back-ported to the original boxes. People really are strange.
    Precisely. In time scale terms you are looking at a Windows Vista PC attempting to run Windows 8 with all its features.
    It'll be interesting to see how it compares to YouView. I guess we'll have to wait for real users to get their hands on it before we know - most of the problems with YouView discussed here were missed by the press.

Cheers,
    David.

Well the IPTV option they have chosen is widely touted as the "established system used Europe wide" as opposed to the newer MHEG-IC used by Youview. This appear to not allow them the full integration of catchup services and your own recording in the "backwards" epg ("bepg"?) or in the individual programme information.

With Youview your recordings show up as such on the bepg. <free time> changes to show only the channel you are going back in and only the programmes available via catchup.

Youview now shows previous episodes available on catchup as an extra page on the Information Plate (Humax's term in previous boxes' manual) popup. This now also has space for thumbnail still and a detailed "genre" description of the programme strand as well as a sysnopsis of the individual programme.

This <free time> box allows "hunt and peck" text entry in addition to the SMS type input currrently only available on Youview (SMS entry is far quicker in my experience)

<free time> has more options to order your recordings including folders but the folders have wierd timings. It appears it list the duration of one programme rather than the total time - hence 9 episodes of Monk are shown lasting 55 minutes. What happens to shows with a feature length pilot?

<free time> has catchup from the BBC and ITV with 4OD and Demand 5 "coming soon" (I've heard that before from Humax when it took them from the October press presentation and April release of the HD Fox T2 to the following January to officially add USB recording). Youview has those available now plus Milkshake (children's content from 5), STV player in Scotland, NowTV from Sky for paid movies and BT Vision for their bb customers.

Both boxes give "recommended" programmes but the Youview version is related to catchup only and is listed by categories such as films, adult etc.

The Humax <free time> uses an external power brick whereas their Youview's is internal - ghost of the infamous blowing power supply capacitors in the HD Foxsat?

By the way I note that unlike the Foxsat HDR, there is no external "pass through" for the dish signal. Presumably that makes watching or recording more than one channel impossible for those with a only one dish feed available (so I won't be getting one!)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    lbear wrote: »
    By the way I note that unlike the Foxsat HDR, there is no external "pass through" for the dish signal. Presumably that makes watching or recording more than one channel impossible for those with a only one dish feed available (so I won't be getting one!)

Presumably that 'feature' was derived from the previous box that the HDR was developed from?, so the new box 'might' be a completely new box designed from scratch?.
  • Options
    lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably that 'feature' was derived from the previous box that the HDR was developed from?, so the new box 'might' be a completely new box designed from scratch?.

Even designed from scratch it is a surprising omission as it was a USP for the Foxsat HDR.

Not sure about the casing as it looks like they have crammed the innards into a small scanner. It seems to have a lot of ventillation holes despite the external power brick.

The addition of a CI slot (another difference from Youview) seems strange and I am wondering if it is based on one of their mainland European models. No mention I note of what happens with FTA channels not on the epg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=lbear;60913884The addition of a CI slot (another difference from Youview) seems strange and I am wondering if it is based on one of their mainland European models. No mention I note of what happens with FTA channels not on the epg.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed the box is open to future pay for view services, presumably a cam and some sort conditional access card will be needed.
  • Options
    ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Be very careful of this company, they don't have stock, have had a number of battles with Humax (and others) about underselling and if you check out their negative feedback, they all relate to not being able to get in touch with them; try emailing/phoning them first, you'll not get a reply! Had a lot of complaints about them through JF!
    I would take that with a serious pinch of salt.

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/freesat-g2/page/3#post-9787

Interesting that mh.o only recommend two retailers! There are more retailers out there with good reputations selling significant volumes of stock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lbear wrote: »
    Even designed from scratch it is a surprising omission as it was a USP for the Foxsat HDR.

Not sure about the casing as it looks like they have crammed the innards into a small scanner. It seems to have a lot of ventillation holes despite the external power brick.

The addition of a CI slot (another difference from Youview) seems strange and I am wondering if it is based on one of their mainland European models. No mention I note of what happens with FTA channels not on the epg.

I think the CI slot is a EEC requirement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ian-d wrote: »
    Be very careful of this company, they don't have stock, have had a number of battles with Humax (and others) about underselling and if you check out their negative feedback, they all relate to not being able to get in touch with them; try emailing/phoning them first, you'll not get a reply! Had a lot of complaints about them through JF!

Interesting that mh.o only recommend two retailers! There are more retailers out there with good reputations selling significant volumes of stock.

Barry has added the usual High Street Retailers
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not so keen on the look, dust and scratch magnet and ugly too boot. :S
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Shoot, no wifi. I was banking on it; was planning on getting MiFi for streaming - we get great mobile broadband, but abysmal landline speeds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No MoCA support sending the video around your home using the old aerial cables?

Automan.
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An ebay shop already has them has them for 250 and 280
    I see that they are only delivering them in 15-16 working days which is about the same time that they will be available in shops like John Lewis - where you will be able to see it touch it, feel it and walk away with it (if security don't out run you) :D
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought John Lewis charged an extra 30 quid as company policy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automan wrote: »
    No MoCA support sending the video around your home using the old aerial cables?

Automan.

I have not seen anything one way or the other - what MoCA capable devide do you have to receive it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Thinking I will get this in a few months but after the long awaited firmware update today of the Samsung smt-7800 which should now make this bug free I will wait for now