The problem of sexual abuse in the white community

Comments

• MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LucianB wrote: »
    Of course, when it's white folks then it's just "a problem that happens to everyone" even though prison statistics regarding sex offenders says the opposite.

Is there such a thing as a single definable "white community"?

What do these prison statistics say? Are you suggesting that they show sexual abuse is perpetrated more by white people? Do you have a link?
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBF there have been articles about it usually in the DM or some other right wing paper and they have been linked here many many times

To be fair, those articles haven't suggested that sexual abuse is more prevalent in the Asian community, but focused on the allegation that there were groups of sex offenders within that community who were racially-selecting their victims.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the point he is trying to make is the constant sterio typing which prevails in the media, or have I totally missed the point?
  • LucianBLucianB Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read the posts from this thread on digitalspy

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1588035

It says it all about your attitude regarding crime statistics and ethnic minorities. You're like a lynch mob.

It's like if I put up a thread about how many wars your country has started or how many deaths it has caused in comparison to North Korea, you'd say "but evey country has started wars" But if a bloke in North Korea accidently ran over a cat you would be like "look at the violent savages, we have to invade and make then civilised like us.

Funny people :)
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    What about the problem of Muslim men who seem to think its acceptable to groom and then sexually abuse very young white girls? Something that the media tried to pretend didnt happen for years but it is now finally being discussed in the open. When I was a teenager in the late 90's I was aware of it happening to a girl I knew personally.

Obviously its not all Muslim men, but this article looks like an attempt to try and rectify it and make out if happens on both sides.

Well TBF I think the media tried to pretend it didn't happen as a whole for a while no matter what race the perpetrator was.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    A few high profile cases involving celebrities from decades ago, and suddenly, the problem is down to "whites"? What about the thousands of low profile cases? Wouldn't it be more accurate to analyse all that data? The BBC was very white in the 60's and 70's. It says more about representation (or lack of) black or asian media figures at the time than anything. Also, why the need to even focus at all on skin colour? It has no relevance at all. The gaurdians 'white men are the problem' agenda is really no better than the mails polar opposite 'non-whites and immigrants are the problem'. And if they do insist on saying it's a 'white' or asian or black problem, at least look at the full spectrum of sexual abuse figures and then adjust for minorities. Don't just jump on a few high prodile cases to peddle some sort of dodgy agenda.

Have you actually read the whole thing? That's his point exactly.

"You may think all the above is ridiculous; that I'm stirring ethnic tensions on an issue that is clearly about individuals and small groups of people and has nothing to do with race or religion. And that by making this spurious case I'm ignoring the core issue, which is that children, many of them in vulnerable situations, were terrorised and physically harmed by opportunistic men who were able to get away with their crimes for years. You'd be right."
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    To be fair, those articles haven't suggested that sexual abuse is more prevalent in the Asian community, but focused on the allegation that there were groups of sex offenders within that community who were racially-selecting their victims.
    Also to be fair, there was an undercurrent* from some of 'being Asian causes people to commit sex crimes' as well.

*not all that 'under', in some cases.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. Did most of the people here not get what this reporter is doing?
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    divingbboy wrote: »

Very true but they know how to word it to get their readers a;; riles up to make them think it is normal in the Asian community you only have to read the quotes from the readers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »

I think Ipossibly did:p
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course, but it seems to have passed by the OP.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Question for you:

What's your view on the article ? Or don't you have one ?

Well, the article is a criticism of how ethnic minorities are specifically targetted by headlines about child abuse scandals, whereas current abuse cases aren't characterised that way when the abusers are white.

Knowing how tabloids operate, I'd say that's pretty reasonable. Papers like the Daily Mail pander to small-minded paranoia and prejudice in a way that makes me ashamed to be British sometimes. However, knowing that I'm not alone in my dislike of that particular publication tempers that somewhat. Plus, I get to vent my spleen about it on here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It says it all about your attitude regarding crime statistics and ethnic minorities. You're like a lynch mob.

It's like if I put up a thread about how many wars your country has started or how many deaths it has caused in comparison to North Korea, you'd say "but evey country has started wars" But if a bloke in North Korea accidently ran over a cat you would be like "look at the violent savages, we have to invade and make then civilised like us.

I know right! From that thread;
    I agree that sexual abuse and exploitation of vulnerable girls is not really an ethnicity-driven issue - it happens everywhere.
    Whites and Asians groom underage girls. Both these white and Asian people are scum.

Pfft, the attitude of some people, eh?!
  • MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The author was saying that the suggestion that there is a particular problem with Asian paedophile gangs is racial stereotyping.

I've read this, there's a good discussion underneath. Particularly from the commenters patiently explaining that the article has 'spectacularly missed the point'.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Surely the point he is trying to make is the constant sterio typing which prevails in the media, or have I totally missed the point?

He appears to be saying that there is no outcry about the fact that the recent sex abuse scandal is white people only.

Whereas there have been many reports, and indeed convictions, of sex abuse perpetrated by the Asian community, where the fact they are Asian is strongly highlighted.

Which is true but lacks any true punch, because the majority population is white, so by default you'd expect the culprits to be white. Especially from that demographic and time period.

You wait ~ next there will be an elderly ethnic minority person from TV, to be exposed as a predatory paedophile ;)
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I first read it this morning i thought he was being incredibly patronising by having the subtitle requesting that people read to the end, on the grounds that, well, that's what you do, right? Turns out he wasn't.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To whom are you referring to?

You wouldn't be making a sweeping generalisation based on peoples ethnicity would you................i'm sure there is a word to describe that.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He appears to be saying that there is no outcry about the fact that the recent sex abuse scandal is white people only.

Whereas there have been many reports, and indeed convictions, of sex abuse perpetrated by the Asian community, where the fact they are Asian is strongly highlighted.

Which is true but lacks any true punch, because the majority population is white, so by default you'd expect the culprits to be white. Especially from that demographic and time period.

You wait ~ next there will be an elderly ethnic minority person from TV, to be exposed as a predatory paedophile ;)

That is exactly how I read it too, however the replies on here caused me to doubt my understanding of it.
    I did say in an earlier post that its not particularly well written.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does he know this, though? He has mentioned around 86 people and as far as I'm aware, he won't know the race of each one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not actually sure what your point is here. You've acknowledged that some tabloids are going to town when it's an ethnic minority involved, but I don't see how there being a majority white population makes that somehow more acceptable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a single definable "white community"?

What do these prison statistics say? Are you suggesting that they show sexual abuse is perpetrated more by white people? Do you have a link?
    Is there such a thing as a single definable white community? Erm, accourding to the UK census, yeah. You know those people who ticked white British? well them.

They say most nonces are middle age white dudes and most ethnic sex offenders are in prison for raping women of the same age. Although given how racist the courts are in this country, those minority guys are properbly just victims of a woman who cried rape. Although I understand different communities have different definitions.

http://shura.shu.ac.uk/597/1/fulltext.pdf
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true but they know how to word it to get their readers a;; riles up to make them think it is normal in the Asian community you only have to read the quotes from the readers

Yeah.

You know, I'm wondering how exactly the media should report the sex gangs in say Bradford and Derby.

Should they just say that girls are being targetted for sexual exploitation by older men in the community and leave it at that ?

I suppose readers/viewers might draw what conclusions they will, when, on conviction, the names and photos of those convicted are published.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah right. So you're complaining about people making sweeping generalisations by making a sweeping generalisation.

This is why you're getting less than favourable responses to your posts, even from people who probably agree with the sentiment of the article.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not actually sure what your point is here. You've acknowledged that some tabloids are going to town when it's an ethnic minority involved, but I don't see how there being a majority white population makes that somehow more acceptable.
    Yes, in some cases, some articles/discussions were trying to imply or say overtly that being Asian makes it more likely for a person to be a sex criminal - therefore that being Asian causes someone to be a sex criminal, that something about being Asian makes someone more liable to commit sex crimes.

Therefore there being a white majority doesn't make any difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    =blueblade;65759649].
    because the majority population is white, so by default you'd expect the culprits to be white.
    Very simplistic view.