Tap Water please?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,666
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I went to a fast food/restaurant the other day and asked for tap water. Got given a cup and told I could fill it up from the self service drink machine in the corner. However noticed he had stuck a £2.50 "soda" charge. After a short argument that I shouldn't have to pay for £2.50 for some tap water the guy gave in and took it off. The place sold alcohol so by law I think it has to offer free tap water to customers (?)

My friend was embarrassed I had made a fuss and said I should have just paid the £2.50..:blush: but I said it's the principle :p

Are you ever embarrassed for asking for tap water in restaurants?

Comments

• Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :sleep:

No.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Why are people so greedy? It is commonplace on the continent to put a jug of tap water on the table ........................if you are in a place paying for food it is disgraceful to be charged for tap water.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since it came from a machine it wasn't tap water. I don't have a problem with them charging for water out of a machine since it's likely been cooled and filtered which does have a cost. Still, I think you did well to argue but next time when someone says 'go to the drinks machine' remind them you wanted tap water ;)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I usually ask for tap water in restaurants. Soft drinks can be quite expensive.

We were out the other day and I got a jug to myself and when friends had finished their cokes they wanted some of my water.

I said to goto the bar and ask for some yourself.

It's the principle :p
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can tap water and I'll maul Martinis. Waiter!
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a fast food/restaurant the other day and asked for tap water. Got given a cup and told I could fill it up from the self service drink machine in the corner. However noticed he had stuck a £2.50 "soda" charge. After a short argument that I shouldn't have to pay for £2.50 for some tap water the guy gave in and took it off. The place sold alcohol so by law I think it has to offer free tap water to customers (?)

My friend was embarrassed I had made a fuss and said I should have just paid the £2.50..:blush: but I said it's the principle :p

Nope. I prefer booze, so I wouldn't ask in the first place :cool:

I do agree with you about the tap water though.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope, if I am not drinking alcohol then tap water it will be for me. I drink nothing else apart from tea.

I do think it should be free but I have paid a charge for a jug on the table with no complaint before. However, I would not take £2.50 for a glass of it so lightly.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they serve alcohol they have to provide free water.

If they don't serve alcohol they don't but I'd tell them to do one and go somewhere else.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I would probably feel a bit guilty asking for tap water because it sounds like I'm just wanting something to drink for free so I'd maybe offer to pay a little bit for it or if that wasn't an option then leave a tip. I never knew it was a legal requirement I have asked for water in a pub before but that was after drinking quite a bit of alcohol and I just assumed it was complimentary because I'd spent a bit too much.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Since it came from a machine it wasn't tap water.

Are you under some misapprehension that "soda" machines are filled with bottles of Evian poured into a hopper?
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often ask for tap water

and get this!..I ask for cutlery in Asian restaurants :o

I'm bold as brass, me
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    I often ask for tap water

and get this!..I ask for cutlery in Asian restaurants :o

Me too :)
    And the more upmarket/authentic the restaurant is, the more likely I am to ask loudly.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You were correct.

Your friend would be a gullible fool for paying £2.50 for tap water.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people so greedy? It is commonplace on the continent to put a jug of tap water on the table ........................if you are in a place paying for food it is disgraceful to be charged for tap water.

Its also common in the US to be given iced water , even if you dont want it. There is never any charge.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its also common in the US to be given iced water , even if you dont want it. There is never any charge.

What's iced water?

Water with ice in it?
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charging for water never feels right to me, it's water, it should be free.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Are you under some misapprehension that "soda" machines are filled with bottles of Evian poured into a hopper?
    No. Are you under the impression that my post mentioned anything about Evian or any other branded water?

Read my post again. I just said it would be cooled and filtered. Cooling water costs money. Filtering it costs money. Probably not £2.50 but enough to justify a charge(*). And it is possible that such a machine might have 'branded' water in it rather than being plumbed into the mains.

(*)But not if the client has specifically asked for tap water as in this case.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Was in my little independent coffee shop the other day and they gave a glass of water free to someone who asked for a bottle of water; which they don't sell. He had obviously never been there before so was not even a customer.

Hats off to Coffee 7 Forest Gate.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one cup of bullet proof coffee in the morning and the rest of the time I have tap water.

I go out for lunch a few times a week with various people and shopping with my daughter and she likes to have a mid morning coffee and cake from coffee shops. I always asked for, and get without trouble, tap water. No one bats a eye ever, or tries to get me to have bottled water or suggests I pay for my water.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tap water in my kitchen, its not free.

I don't suppose the tap water in any other establishment is *actually* free BUT circa 2.50 for a glass is excessive.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I regularly ask for tap water when I'm eating out and never have any hassle or charge. A lot of the time I get water as well as wine or another alcoholic drink. A lot of decent places will provide complimentary chilled water in jugs or their own refillable bottles without you having to ask.

It may be a regional thing. In some parts of the country, tap water is foul, so less people would want it. However, even the nastiest tap water becomes much more palatable if it's poured into bottles or a jug and left for a bit while it chills.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anywhere that sells alcohol, legally have to give you water if you request it. Free of charge. In a nightclub, pub or restaurant etc.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always ask for tap water if I'm having a meal out. I find drinking plenty of water mitigates the after-effects of plenty of wine. A couple of times I've been told they only serve bottle water and I've insisted on having it from the tap.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    What's iced water?

Water with ice in it?

Yeah well done Sherlock :D
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    I would probably feel a bit guilty asking for tap water because it sounds like I'm just wanting something to drink for free so I'd maybe offer to pay a little bit for it or if that wasn't an option then leave a tip. I never knew it was a legal requirement I have asked for water in a pub before but that was after drinking quite a bit of alcohol and I just assumed it was complimentary because I'd spent a bit too much.

I'm pretty sure it is a legal requirement - I suppose in the case of licensed premises, its so that people who drink a bit much can be re-hydrated, or to promote diluted drinks? I'm not sure.
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    What's iced water?

Water with ice in it?

Thats a bug bear of mine, getting something like 4 or 5 large ice cubes in a glass of water, especially when its not summer and not particularly warm. I have sensitive teeth, so its not much fun drinking really, really cold water and have to ask to have them taken out, minus maybe one cube :blush:
    Justabloke wrote: »
    I have tap water in my kitchen, its not free.

I don't suppose the tap water in any other establishment is *actually* free BUT circa 2.50 for a glass is excessive.

I agree - £2.50 is a bit much. You could buy something like a set of 6 bottles of water in Aldi for less, if I remember right. I imagine you could buy a 500ml bottle of slightly more high end water for £2 or so?.