TV Channels that have gone downhill

Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
Forum Member
Which stations do you think have gone downhill?

Really - Too much cheap factual, a lot less drama and well the channel has become deathly dull.

Food Network - Seem to have Nigella fetish at weekends, now a Jamie Oliver one who is a dirty UKIP supporter. Too many Guy Fieri shows. They axed "Resteraunt Impossible" for another one of his shows. Show programmes by a couple of fakes - "Pioneer Woman" which was proven in the US and Ellie Kreiger a fake dietician.

Animal Planet - The excuse not to show the new series of "Monkey Life" is a joke. More reality crud.

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1 is doing bad other than soaps and football the ratings have been really bad.With most stuff under 2 million.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Television standards in general have gone down hill. There is seldom anything to watch. I watch about 2 series a year and even then, I can't be bothered to watch them live.
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to watch Quest a lot for the documentarys. Not any more as its wall to wall salvage hunters etc.
  • Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of the Music Channels.

Clubland used to be great - 24/7 requests - now filled most of the day with charts and Judge Jules and a lot of the songs should never be anywhere near Clubland.

The less said about the MTV/Bauer/CSC channels the better.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    All documentary channels have gone downhill in my opinion. MTV has gone downhill. It is now a reality tv 24 /7 channel.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of them have imho i've given up completely on mainstream tv and only use things like Netflix nowadays.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky News is a shadow of its former self, it's Euro election night coverage was particularly poor.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of them! And it's not even a flip response, it's true.

The diluting of TV resources has not worked to the benefit of broadcasters or viewers.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    ITV - largely due to decline of regional coverage.
    Sky 1 - diluted by the launch of Sky Atlantic
    CITV - doesn't air many new homegrown shows these days.
    Disney XD - lines blurring between the former Fox Kids/Jetix and the Disney Channel.

And as mentioned, MTV simply for not even being the same genre any more.
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Which stations do you think have gone downhill?

Every single one, bloody recession, greedy bankers have killed my TV viewing.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    ShaunW wrote: »
    Every single one, bloody recession, greedy bankers have killed my TV viewing.

I agreed ShaunW. Things have done dramatically since 2011/2012. Personally I think we are in death zone when it comes to broadcast TV.

What I don't get is, what's with the reality TV crap and soaps? Surely the money could be spent wisely.
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't get is, what's with the reality TV crap .

With regards to Nat Geo and Discovery Network's reality crap, apparently the Americans like it so we must grin and bare it.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't get is, what's with the reality TV crap and soaps? Surely the money could be spent wisely.
    Maybe that IS spending it wisely :cry:
    When you look at audience size and cost of programme, they probably get more viewers per £ spent than any other programme genre.

However it is a bit like living off Tesco's Value baked beans and white sliced bread the whole time.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up with ITV in the seventies and eighties. It was always on but everything about it has gone downhill. It is now a celebrity obsessed reality tv and soap channel
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    I grew up with ITV in the seventies and eighties. It was always on but everything about it has gone downhill. It is now a celebrity obsessed reality tv and soap channel

Seconded. Whatever happened to ORDINARY PEOPLE going on quiz shows? We might not be glamorous, but we're good people and can be more entertaining than some slapper from Corrie.

Channel 5 - Big Brother, and too many working-class bashing programmes thinking we're all on benefits (and chastising those who are through no fault of their own) or football hooligans. It might be ran by the owners of a Tory rag "The Daily Express", but don't bash the majority of the UK people. We're not all home-owners earning £50k a year ffs. We've lived!
  • ThatJoshThatJosh Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disney Channel's humour is just cheap now, used to love it to bits.
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBS Drama: Full of shows from CBS Reality and endless repeats of crap like Dallas and Knots Landing.

CBS Action: Star Trek and Bonanza on repeat.

Horror Channel: Too many shows like Doctor Who and not enough B Movies and low budget horror. The fims are too mainstream now.

Really: Was a brilliant channel but now all they show is DIY SOS and A Place In The Sun.

Movies4Men: Used to show some hidden gems but it's just a dumping ground for films Sony don't want to show on Sony Movies. Some movies aren't even for men.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV - I used to watch plenty of programmes on there, but now it's largely only football that I watch on it. And I may not even be watching a lot of that next year (as the FA Cup goes back to the BBC and Man United aren't in Europe next year).

Also, MTV - I remember when they used to have music on there; now it's reality sh!t 24/7.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    History Channel should be renamed Scripted Reality TV Channel
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »

Exactly what I feel! ITV was superior TV in those days. It's exactly as you say now - reality shows and two soaps!! (Many times per week!).

I'm a soap-lover - but EVERY day?? What happened to the quality of the days when they were twice a week?

And don't get me started on reality shows!! They truly piXX me off!!

UK GOLD was good when it started - but as G.O.L.D. it's a pile of shite! Glad I cannot get it anymore and am now on Freeview anyway...and I certainly wouldn't pay for it!
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1. In fact the BBC are cutting their quality steadily. Seb Coe said today that when he becomes BBC boss, he will not forget his politics. I took this to mean that he will continue to ensure that private sector wins out, and gradually run down the BBC until there really is no point in it any more. A large number of BBC millionaires will have heard that and realise that the gravy train is to stop soon.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTV has really gone downhill as it don't have any music shows or music videos anymore.
    The History chanel has also gone downhill a little.
    The Discovery Channel is still a fine channel but even that has changed a little and in eager of starting to go downhill.

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of them, unfortunately. :(
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I hate to admit it but CNBC has really gone downhill since 2011/2012. All the top presenters have left and it seems to be a shadow of its former self. It's really boring now as well and the quality of the programming has decreased. It's not as good as it was when I started watching it back in 2006. Bloomberg seems to be the better business news channel these days.

ITV -> awful these days. It's full of celebrity trash and soaps. ITV2 is the worst digital channel in existence. I'm in their target demographic but I can never find anything to watch on there. It's obsessed with celebrities and reality shows. Only decent thins on ITV are the football and Doc Martin.

Discovery Home and Health -> when it was Discovery Travel and Living it was really good. Mum used to watch all the property shows they had. Now all it seems to show is hospital documentaries and programmes about childbirth and that kind of stuff. Who would want to watch things like that?

History Channel -> someone please tell me what is so historic about Pawn Stars and Storage Wars. I thought this channel was supposed to show history documentaries, not shows that are essentially the US equivalent of Flog It or Cash In The Attic.

MTV -> I remember the days when this channel used to play actual music instead of just show cheap reality crap all the time. Talk about lowest common denominator TV! Seems to be aimed at those who have got the attention span of a gnat.

VIVA -> Why is this even in the music section of the EPG? It seems to be more a general entertainment channel than a music channel. They don't seem to show music all that often. I remember when they first launched they showed more music than they do now.

Channel 4 -> Used to have some great documentaries but it seems to be now another home of trash TV. E4 and More4 are dreadful as well. All I ever see on More4 are endless repeats of Come Dine With Me and Location Location Location.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linear tv is finished as they put little effort in and there's too many repeats channels.

The days of the middle man like a programme scheduler are gone when we have on demand. You can watch what you want, When you want, no adverts or digital on screen graphics. :)