Options

tv schedules night before independence referendum

Comments

• Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    Presumably a lot depends on the counting mechanism. If the votes are counted on the night, then there's the possibility of a very marginal result in the Central Belt (ie a dead heat) being adjusted the other way by more substantive results going the other way from the rest of Scotland poll coming in the next day.

Either way, its a TV fest!

Presumably the Beeb, Sky and even possibly ITV/STV will run all-night/next-day results shows?

So would then it be a first that STV actually drop "the nightshift" its a miracle! :D
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the danger that if you put scotish films and sit-Coms on, you create a pro-independence air of patriotism?

Braveheart and trainspotting.... Couldn't they get sunshine on leith too?.....
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If itv showed a James bond on the night before, would it be a Sean conneray or a roger Moore?.....
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the danger that if you put scotish films and sit-Coms on, you create a pro-independence air of patriotism?

Or how about the "shrek" saga .... well we all know Shrek is Scottish right? :D (sorry I meant Mike Myers)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't BBC One Scotland just share the Election studio with national presenters and say goodbye to the network at some times of the day/night, I think Scotland should have the election studio on such a important night and day for them.

I can't see any advantage in sharing the studio. The graphics are all virtual so they will be able to each have their own graphic displayed. Though it has to be remembered that BBC Scotland are very parochial and jealous of their big brothers at network TV so would not surprise me if they even had different graphics!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the BBC think a Welshman anchoring Scottish referendum results will avoid claims of bias. I was rather hoping we might get some old White Heather Club and Dr Finlay episodes.....
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For that reason I can imagine the choice of films etc being carefully checked.

Passport to Pimlico?
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

By the same token, if you put on a British film or sit-com you create a pro-union air of patriotism!
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I can't see any advantage in sharing the studio. The graphics are all virtual so they will be able to each have their own graphic displayed. Though it has to be remembered that BBC Scotland are very parochial and jealous of their big brothers at network TV so would not surprise me if they even had different graphics!

Why would the BBC need a separate production for the rest of the UK? It's not like there will be any votes cast or counted outside Scotland and presumably it will all be hosted from Glasgow.

I'm surprised they're not just letting BBC Scotland run the production (if that's the case).
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way OP is going, BBC should have been nothing but Hamish Macbeth, Still Game and Rab C Nesbitt
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    I think Channel 4 News will talk about the referendum but the rest of the Channel 4 schedules will be as normal.
    Newsnight Scotland will fully replace the Newsnight from London at 10.30pm on BBC 2 Scotland I think.
    BBC 1 Scotland will still have Watchdog or whatever programme is networked at 8pm.
    STV will have an extended Scotland Tonight show at 10.30pm I think and so need for a Scotland Tonight Special at 9pm.
    Im voting Yes in September and have joined the Yes Scotland campaign.
    My sister is also going to vote Yes.

Darren

If Scotland becomes independent you'll probably lose free-to-air access to the BBC TV and radio channels (because SBC would replace BBC Scotland) and Channels 4 and 5.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    By the same token, if you put on a British film or sit-com you create a pro-union air of patriotism!

What nonsense! So Four Weddings and a Funeral or Only Fools and Horses would make people vote no?

By the way, Trainspotting, Still Game and Rab C Nesbitt would also be classed as a British. :D
    sunhillpc1 wrote: »
    If Scotland becomes independent you'll probably lose free-to-air access to the BBC TV and radio channels (because SBC would replace BBC Scotland) and Channels 4 and 5.

Doesn't seem to stop people in the Irish Republic watching UK channels. Also, any Freesat box will get the FTA channels from England.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to stop people in the Irish Republic watching UK channels. Also, any Freesat box will get the FTA channels from England.

The Irish government and the British government have a deal that the RTE will be available in NI and the BBC will be available in ROI. Salmond would need to reach a deal with the government, and he has more important things to do like discover not all of the claims he's making are feasible...

As I understand it EU rules prevent the BBC from doing certain things to stop overspill in the border regions, but they don't have to broadcast in Scotland so they could theoretically reduce the range of their equipment somehow or just lock up their satellite feed, and the Scotts would have to deal with it

Maybe the BBC could do some kind of all output deal with Sky, like HBO do... (Let's face it Alex Salmond's request for all BBC equipment in Scotland and all future BBC shows is a pisstake and I doubt the BBC will want to give it to him (and I doubt MPs will be willing to give him something so valuable as well), especially given the amount of money they could make selling them on in Scotland.)
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I understand it EU rules prevent the BBC from doing certain things to stop overspill in the border regions, but they don't have to broadcast in Scotland so they could theoretically reduce the range of their equipment somehow or just lock up their satellite feed, and the Scotts would have to deal with it

Is this Mr and Mrs Scott and family, or do you mean SCOTS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Irish government and the British government have a deal that the RTE will be available in NI and the BBC will be available in ROI. Salmond would need to reach a deal with the government, and he has more important things to do like discover not all of the claims he's making are feasible...

Maybe the BBC could do some kind of all output deal with Sky, like HBO do... (Let's face it Alex Salmond's request for all BBC equipment in Scotland and all future BBC shows is a pisstake and I doubt the BBC will want to give it to him (and I doubt MPs will be willing to give him something so valuable as well), especially given the amount of money they could make selling them on in Scotland.)

And how would the BBC "lock up their satellite feed " or "reduce the range of their equipment"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And how would the BBC "lock up their satellite feed " or "reduce the range of their equipment"?

They could screw people over and encrypt the satellite feed, and I did say "theoretically" reduce the range of their equipment, I'm not sure it's possible, it was more of a "if this were possible they could do this"...

And having looked it up, the EU's "TV without Frontiers Directive" makes it legal to watch any other EU country's TV broadcasts, but does not mean they have to make it possible for you to do so. So if Scotland were to enter/remain in the EU, there's nothing the BBC could do to stop them watching an unencrypted feed, but the BBC could (again, theoretically) limit overspill and encrypt the satellite feed.

Anyway, should Scotland become independent chances are there would be a programme sharing agreement with the BBC or BBC programmes would be sold to Scottish broadcasters. Even if the SBS doesn't get them free of change (like Salmond is hoping for), chances are it would go after some amount of BBC programming. And Scottish network would probably be allowed to simulcast, so this is unlikely to be a big deal.
    Is this Mr and Mrs Scott and family, or do you mean SCOTS

I thought it looked wrong, but I wasn't completely sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could screw people over and encrypt the satellite feed, and I did say "theoretically" reduce the range of their equipment, I'm not sure it's possible, it was more of a "if this were possible they could do this"...

And having looked it up, the EU's "TV without Frontiers Directive" makes it legal to watch any other EU country's TV broadcasts, but does not mean they have to make it possible for you to do so. So if Scotland were to enter/remain in the EU, there's nothing the BBC could do to stop them watching an unencrypted feed, but the BBC could (again, theoretically) limit overspill and encrypt the satellite feed.

They would have to launch a new satellite with a reduced footprint but I can't see how that would work as Northern Ireland would need coverage and the footprint would not exclude Scotland.

As for encryption I am sure Freesat would frown on that idea,
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Important issues that the Scottish government will have to sort out if Scotland decided to vote yes. Meanwhile outside Scotland, Nothing will be much different apart from the fact we don't have BBC Scotland to budget.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What nonsense! So Four Weddings and a Funeral or Only Fools and Horses would make people vote no?

By the way, Trainspotting, Still Game and Rab C Nesbitt would also be classed as a British. :D

Of course it is nonsense, just as the post I was replying too, and which you have failed to quote, is also nonsense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The Irish government and the British government have a deal that the RTE will be available in NI and the BBC will be available in ROI.

About that....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Cross-border_partnership
    However it was later announced that a change has occurred such that BBC services are now to be offered in the Republic of Ireland on a 'paid for' basis and not the original free-to-air basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They would have to launch a new satellite with a reduced footprint but I can't see how that would work as Northern Ireland would need coverage and the footprint would not exclude Scotland.

As for encryption I am sure Freesat would frown on that idea,

Freesat is co-owned by the BBC and ITV, it can frown on it all it wants but it will have to do what the BBC says.

I'm guessing you're Scottish, if you won't be paying for the BBC, why should you receive it free of charge? Whilst it would be technically difficult to restrict the feed to the UK only, what gives Scotland the right to just tune in willy nilly without paying the licence fee like we have to, I bet there'd be outrage if British people tried to watch SBS without paying the licence fee...
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    As Radiogram says, Braveheart and Trainspotting are dead carts not to be broadcast.

As someone who's never seen them before, why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sunhillpc1 wrote: »

As I said, there's an agreement between the ROI and the UK. Admittedly I was under the impression the BBC was available free to air in ROI (it still is if you have a Freesat box or manually tune it), but it doesn't change the gist of my point, which is that the BBC agreed to Irish transmission and aren't bothered about viewers in Ireland or appearing on European cable services because they get paid for it. Whereas if they were to receive no money from Scottish transmission and/or there was no cross-border agreement the BBC might be unhappy with the situation.

Salmond's proposed solution is that the SBS provides content equivalent to that of BBC Scotland at the moment for access to the entire BBC's content, would ultimately make concerns about overspill pointless as all the shows people watch would presumably be simulcast on the SBS anyway. (A ridiculously one sided deal in favour of the SBS, one would hope MPs saw this and told him to stick it and bid for the rights to BBC shows like everybody else, but they probably won't...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freesat is co-owned by the BBC and ITV, it can frown on it all it wants but it will have to do what the BBC says.

I'm guessing you're Scottish, if you won't be paying for the BBC, why should you receive it free of charge? Whilst it would be technically difficult to restrict the feed to the UK only, what gives Scotland the right to just tune in willy nilly without paying the licence fee like we have to, I bet there'd be outrage if British people tried to watch SBS without paying the licence fee...

Who was saying anything about receiving it free of charge? Feel free to contradict me with evidence to the contrary but has anyone anywhere suggested that the BBC would encrypt all it's services to prevent us cheeky Jocks from tuning in?

If the doomsday scenario does occur then I will be happy enough paying for the BBC services I currently receive.

Fortunately though Salmonds ego trip will fail and the status quo will prevail.

As for this "SBS" that Salmond dreams of, you "British" would be very welcome to it free of charge. I doubt there'd be anything worth watching on it anyway.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Wow, this is a fun game.

Can the OP predict the schedules for the 15th November this year as well please?