Options

I am on the pill and was sick this morning. Will this stop it working?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
I am on Dianette and I take it at around 10pm every night. Last night I did'nt take it til 1am as I was out drinking. This morning I vomitted twice. Could this stop it from working? I had sex last night and now I'm really worried :(

Comments

• Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vomiting within two hours of taking the pill, any repeated vomiting, or severe diarrhoea may well prevent the pill from working. A single vomit more than two hours after taking the pill should not affect it.
    However to be on the safe side, take precautions for the next 7 days (as you would if you had missed a pill)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should use condoms for 7 days to cover yourself but if you weren't sick until this morning I'd assume it will be ok...if you took it at 1am it will most likely have got into your system before you took it, and there will have been enough hormone from the previous days in your body to cover it. Afterall don't they say you can miss one pill if you take it within a certain time, and you're still safe?

If you are worried consult a pharmacist and perhaps take the morning after pill, but dont forget to use condoms for the next 7 days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Depends how long you have been taking it. Although if you took it at 1am and were only sick this morning it would have absorbed into your system by then. If you've been on it for a while it doesn't matter that much if you miss one pill because its already in your system. This kind of thing happened to me some years back, I forgot to take my pill one morning after me and OH had had sex, so I went and asked for a morning after pill but the pharmacist said it would be unneccessary as i'd been on the pill for some months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends how long you have been taking it. Although if you took it at 1am and were only sick this morning it would have absorbed into your system by then. If you've been on it for a while it doesn't matter that much if you miss one pill because its already in your system. This kind of thing happened to me some years back, I forgot to take my pill one morning after me and OH had had sex, so I went and asked for a morning after pill but the pharmacist said it would be unneccessary as i'd been on the pill for some months.

Did you get pregnant?
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    DEFINITELY take precautions for the next couple of weeks or so ...... I know someone who has 19 year old twins due to this :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Did you get pregnant?

No. Everything was fine.
  • Options
    ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vomiting within two hours of taking the pill, any repeated vomiting, or severe diarrhoea may well prevent the pill from working. A single vomit more than two hours after taking the pill should not affect it.
    However to be on the safe side, take precautions for the next 7 days (as you would if you had missed a pill)

This advice is correct (although more cautious than what I'd say re: using extra contraception). To be absolutely certain, ring NHS direct - 0845 46 47. They have medicines advisors who can give you tailored advice to your situation.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, it's highly likely it didn't matter at all.

Between 30 minutes and 2 hours after taking the pill, it's all gone and been dissolved and absorbed into the body, so if you took it at 1am, and then vomited 9 hours later, there shouldn't be a problem.