Options

Family Guy's Seth McFarlane on Breakfast (23.11.10)

2»

Comments

• Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    Oh and you need to ask why the people who make The Simpsons, South Park, and King of the Hill all hate Family Guy.

Jealousy I guess.

Explain this then (from a CNN interview with Matt Groening 2007):

CNN: How did the plot to this film come together?

Groening: The set of four movies were done by the core writers of "Futurama" headed by David X. Cohen ... [who's been] my partner on "Futurama" from the very beginning.

CNN: Seth MacFarlane has a role in this.

Groening: Oh yes! That was a real treat to work with Seth and confound the people who want to believe there's some kind of feud between Seth and myself.

CNN: How do you feel about the children of "The Simpsons" -- MacFarlane's "Family Guy," "South Park"?

Groening: I'm a fan of animation and so, the more stuff that doesn't look like the other stuff that's out there, I'm in favor.

There's a staggering array of completely wild animation on TV now ... Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network is unbelievable. And "South Park" continues to do great stuff. And "Family Guy" and the various other Seth MacFarlane projects are amazing.

He's also on record as saying that he thought the South Park 'manatees' episode was a hilarious tribute to Family Guy, rather than a slam.

Hey, believe what you want to tho'! :)
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    Explain this then (from a CNN interview with Matt Groening 2007):

CNN: How did the plot to this film come together?

Groening: The set of four movies were done by the core writers of "Futurama" headed by David X. Cohen ... [who's been] my partner on "Futurama" from the very beginning.

CNN: Seth MacFarlane has a role in this.

Groening: Oh yes! That was a real treat to work with Seth and confound the people who want to believe there's some kind of feud between Seth and myself.

CNN: How do you feel about the children of "The Simpsons" -- MacFarlane's "Family Guy," "South Park"?

Groening: I'm a fan of animation and so, the more stuff that doesn't look like the other stuff that's out there, I'm in favor.

There's a staggering array of completely wild animation on TV now ... Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network is unbelievable. And "South Park" continues to do great stuff. And "Family Guy" and the various other Seth MacFarlane projects are amazing.

He's also on record as saying that he thought the South Park 'manatees' episode was a hilarious tribute to Family Guy, rather than a slam.

Hey, believe what you want to tho'! :)

I think you need to listen to the commentary track of those South Park episodes. They are on Youtube.

The Simpsons isn't just Matt Groening.
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you need to listen to the commentary track of those South Park episodes. They are on Youtube.

The Simpsons isn't just Matt Groening.

I'm not really sure why you're so bothered, millions of people like Family Guy, what's with this silly campaign?

If you don't like it - don't watch it, you'll worry yourself into an early grave if you're not careful! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I love how the voices come out of him so effortlessly. Never fails to have me LMAO. :)
    He seems a really nice, down to earth guy. I thought the presenters were ok but that Sian Williams always annoys me though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really sure why you're so bothered, millions of people like Family Guy, what's with this silly campaign?

If you don't like it - don't watch it, you'll worry yourself into an early grave if you're not careful! :p

It always bothers me when hacks make money out of the talents of others. Call me old fashioned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always bothers me when hacks make money out of the talents of others. Call me old fashioned.

You're old fashioned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Er, isn't he using his own talents? He illustrates, writes, produces & sings so where is he making money out of other people's talents?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, isn't he using his own talents? He illustrates, writes, produces & sings so where is he making money out of other people's talents?

It's like saying that anybody who wrote, produced and starred in a sit com or a soap after the first one was made was making money out of the talents of others. Or anybody who wrote a cookery book after Mrs Beeton was making money out of her talents. A very limiting viewpoint to take.
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the clip of him 'Singing in the Rain' at the 2009 proms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D0DYYFKT5c

As he said on BBC breakfast, how could you turn down the opportunity of singing with an orchestra like that!

thanks for that link! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    erea, area, ara

wtf was that all about
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    erea, area, ara

wtf was that all about

As he said, tired and ready to go home.
  • Options
    nina99nina99 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Seth came across as a very nice, very talented person on BBC Breakfast. I think he was quite brave to appear at the Proms last year in front of such a large audience and IMO he did very well apart from the fact that he nearly messed up his first song by coming in too early!

As from tomorrow Seth is on tour round the country with the John Wilson Orchestra and they are due to perform in Newcastle on Saturday. I just hope they don't all get stuck in the snow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    It's like saying that anybody who wrote, produced and starred in a sit com or a soap after the first one was made was making money out of the talents of others. Or anybody who wrote a cookery book after Mrs Beeton was making money out of her talents. A very limiting viewpoint to take.

No, it's saying people who directly lift jokes/characters are making money out of other people's efforts.

I notice you didn't comment on Jimmy Corrigan?
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's saying people who directly lift jokes/characters are making money out of other people's efforts.

I don't think you've watched an episode of Family Guy in your life.

I love both it and The Simpsons, but the only similarities are that they're animations about American families. As you would know if you've ever watched an episode of Family Guy, that is where the similarities stopped - the characters are all caricatures (unlike The Simpsons attempt at deeper characterisation), the humour is quite literally random (the use of cutaway gags), it relies more on popular culture gags, and it is more adult (in ratings terms) than The Simpsons.